Zenith SC repair on my new Chronomaster
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Zenith SC repair on my new Chronomaster

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Zenith SC repair on my new Chronomaster

Hi,
    I purchased a new Zenith El Primero Limited Edition Chronomaster (03.2097.410/51.C700) in April. After wearing for a few weeks, I noticed that the date did not change correctly - it either skipped two days or displayed a white panel. Disappointing but these things happen. After contacting Zenith, they advised that I send the watch for repair to their SC in Manchester UK (LVMH). I had requested that the watch be sent to Le Locle but I was assured that the watch would be serviced by a trained senior Zenith watchmaker in the UK. I reluctantly agreed. After they inspected the watch, they notified me that they would perform a full service and replace all seals and gaskets. I thought this was unusual for a new watch. Today I got my watch back after it being with LVMH for three weeks. A Disaster. The problem with the date remains, but in addition, the gasket under the crystal is completely misaligned and is easily visible against the side of the crystal. This watch was tested in a laboratory following the service and went through QC checks - yet this was not seen!. The watch was returned in a worse state than when it was sent. I am so disappointed and frustrated and have lost all respect for the watch. I have contacted LVMH Manchester to make them aware of the issue but I do not know what other options I have. The watch is three months old and has been in the repair centre for a month and it comes back like this. My concern is that I am not sure what other damage may have been done if this is the level of workmanship that was performed on it. I would welcome any advice or ideas. Thank you in advance.

Re: Zenith SC repair on my new Chronomaster

Just to update. LVMH repair centre in Manchester have contacted me with full apologies for the work carried out. They have asked for the watch to be sent to them again so that they (or Zenith Le Locle) can repair it. I do not know what to do as part of me is not comfortable with performing another repair on a watch which is only 3 months old. Should I look for a replacement? Thanks for any advice that you can give.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Welcome to Watchuseek. Unfortunately, you as the buyer are in a somewhat weak position here - unless you kick up one hell of a stink. I am not sure what the situation is like in the UK but in Germany, one must give the manufacturer of defective goods "reasonable opportunity" to rectify the problem. Therefore, an instant refund is out of the question. I am not sure how many attempts you have to give them to repair the watch before they have to replace it but I am fairly sure that it's more than once. I was once in the same positon, only it was a "Digital" computer rather than a watch that was at fault. Took nearly three years to get that sorted out.....

Good luck in getting it solved and get louder sooner - you will get somewhere quicker!

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you Hartmut and I really appreciate your advice/comments. I really like Zenith watches and never had a problem previously with any of them. This one however, is a different story. It is just so frustrating/disappointing that a watch which is only three months old needs to be stripped down and serviced for a second time in such a short space of time. Hopefully, the repair centre in Manchester can resolve the problem this time and that the watch will not have any problems later as a result. I will let you know how things go. Again, thank you sincerely Hartmut.

Unfortunately it happens sometimes and that's the reason they offer warranties. Your chances of a return are probably zero given its now a 3 month old watch. I've had quite a few watches go back for warranty repair from various brands. Just be patient and let them do the warranty repair as you really don't have much choice. And when you get it back and hopefully functioning properly you will forget all about the experience and be able to enjoy the beautiful watch again.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Thank you Natesen. I have sent the watch back to Manchester UK again to carry out another service on the watch. Hopefully, as you say, the problem gets fixed this time. Just to clarify, I was not looking to return the watch but rather to replace it as I had a concern, after just getting it serviced under warranty and it still having the same problem afterwards (and added ones), that there was a possibility that the fault may not be fixable. It is a beautiful watch so hopefully all goes well this time. Thank you again.

Last year I bought a brand new Zenith Defy 21 from an AD. It had problems with the reset. Immediately on the same week I took it back to the AD and told them something needed to be done, also told them it was urgent and also conveyed my disappointment. After a few days, was notified that I could get a 1 to 1 exchange for another new piece. A week after I got my new piece and it worked perfect.

Not sure about you cause it has been more than a month, but maybe you can try asking for a whole new piece that works perfect if this round with the SC still does not work out.

Thanks for all your comments - all of which are appreciated. Just to update. After being requested by LVMH Manchester to return the watch to them so that they can review the work carried out during the service, I sent the watch by priority registered post last Wednesday. I forwarded them tracking number etc and explained that delivery would be made on either Friday 2nd August or Monday 5th August at the latest. I received an email back thanking me for the information and that they would confirm when the watch was received (I am always nervous of sending high value items by post etc for fear of it going missing, especially when it is not possible to insure for the value of the watch). I got confirmation from Royal Mail that the watch was delivered on Monday. As I had not received any confirmation from LVMH as was promised, I contacted by email today only to get a return 'out of office' email that both persons that I had been dealing with were both on holiday - one returning on 12th August and the other on the 19th August. This was never mentioned when they asked for watch to be returned. Had I known this to be the case, I would not have bothered sending them back the watch. I am really getting frustrated with how this is going and at this stage, I have no idea what the status is with my watch. I can only assume it is on the desk of the person on holiday and as for what happens next - who knows.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Oh groan! I would politely but firmly raise this point at some stage with Zenith - possibly waiting until you get the watch back fixed (we hope!). No need to let them get away with that sort of behaviour.....

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    Oh groan! I would politely but firmly raise this point at some stage with Zenith - possibly waiting until you get the watch back fixed (we hope!). No need to let them get away with that sort of behaviour.....

Hartmut Richter
    Is this normal for post-service casebacks? It's somewhat annoying to me to have things misaligned...but thought I would get feedback.

As the watch was purchased, the "El Primero" is at the 12 o'clock position and now it is off-center.

I've raised a question through the Zenith - Customer Service page as well but have yet to receive an answer.

Name:  20190808_220047.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  3.07 MB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast