Floss Stuck in Bezel
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Floss Stuck in Bezel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Floss Stuck in Bezel

So my OVM Maxi bezel action was feeling a little off so i decided to try the floss trick. However, Instead I ended up getting some floss stuck in there and now the action is really stiff to the point I need a towel to grip onto it to rotate it. Any ideas on how to fix this? I was thinking about dipping the watch halfway upside-down into a solvent or something but I'm not sure if that will damage the acrylic crystal.

Re: Floss Stuck in Bezel

I don't recommend dipping the watch in solvent. No telling what sort of nasty stuff that will do to your seals and crystal.
    Last edited by KogKiller; 4 Weeks Ago at 15:05.
    FBPB and jbsutta like this.

Please DO NOT REMOVE THE BEZEL..YOU WILL NEVER GET IT BACK ON CORRECTLY..,.Been There , done that, had to return it to Germany. Just put it in some warm water and take a very thin razor blade under the bezel and just circle around. Eventually it will all come out. You might even put some dental floss under the bezel to go back and forth and pull out the old floss. Don't wrap it, just floss 360 degrees.Don't use any solvents. I ruined a crystal that way.
    Steinhart has specially designed machines to put bezels on . Some are easier than others but you would be taking a very expensive chance and then have to mail it for repairs. It's not a warranty issue , it would have been YOUR error.
    lvt likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A couple of drops of washing up liquid may lubricate the bezel enough so you can twist the floss out.
    FBPB likes this.

Yea I'm familiar with this type of bezel which is why I'm not willing to pop it off lol. I ordered a replacement aluminum insert as I'm gonna try to just take this one off and see if I can remove the circular retaining clip in between the bezel and the watch to pop it off the right way hopefully. But I'll coaxing it out with some more floss. I'd try a razor blade but not even an exact fits in between the gap

Quote Originally Posted by lemoose View Post
    So my OVM Maxi bezel action was feeling a little off so i decided to try the floss trick. However, Instead I ended up getting some floss stuck in there and now the action is really stiff to the point I need a towel to grip onto it to rotate it. Any ideas on how to fix this? I was thinking about dipping the watch halfway upside-down into a solvent or something but I'm not sure if that will damage the acrylic crystal.
    TRy putting some mineral oil into the space between the bezel and case, this may work it out.

This Floss thing is an easy fix..You "pop the bezel off" and you will then be writing to Steinhart to ask them to put it back on...It's just dental floss..it will more than likely fall out by itself after showering a couple of times. Why would you want to break the integrity of the factory placed bezel? I guarantee the bezel will bend when you attempt this feat. Even a little bit will make it unsalvageable and guess who's fault? Not covered on Warranty. This is not a replica Rolex ...don't treat it like one. Inserts can easily be removed by gentle heat from a hairdryer and carefully lifting the edges with a very thin blade. Start from the crystal side then the outside. I doubt, however, that you will even see the floss that way. It's not as difficult to get the floss out..it will come out by itself, from being wet or with lube. Don't use any petroleum based products or solvents. Soap and water and turning the bezel will do it. Save yourself lots of aggravation .

Not sure man, I've given it hundreds of rotations already. And each rotation requires so much brute force ive blistered my hands up even using a towel for grip. Tried all kinds of lube and warm water etc.

It may not be the cheapest solution but I’d have it looked at by a pro.

I fixed mine with a floss, but I did not wrap it. On Seiko it was easy to remove it and put it back, I have never tried on Steinhart. Do the dish soup, floss, hot water and use the rubber gloves it's gonna be easier to rotate it. Hopefully the floss will come out and then put some oil to lubricate it. Good luck and let us know what are the result.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information