GMT mechanism on the Steinhart Ocean 39 GMT Premium 500
Like Tree11Likes
  • 7 Post By yankeexpress
  • 2 Post By slorollin
  • 2 Post By GMT-man

Thread: GMT mechanism on the Steinhart Ocean 39 GMT Premium 500

GMT mechanism on the Steinhart Ocean 39 GMT Premium 500

I have a question about the GMT mechanism on the Steinhart Ocean 39 GMT Premium 500.

From what I can tell there are two ways of implementing the GMT function in general:

1. The first type has an independently adjustable GMT hand, meaning it can be set separately from the local time indicated with the hour hand and is not linked to the date function.
    2. The second type links the GMT hand to the minute hand while the normal hour hand is independently adjustable and is linked to the date.

Which mechanism is used on the Ocean 39? Does it use another method? (Some may say that Steinhart use a GMT mechanism that doesn’t function…)

dub82

Re: GMT mechanism on the Steinhart Ocean 39 GMT Premium 500

Method 1. is designated a “caller” GMT for desk drivers tracking another timezone from work that they call.

Method 2. is a “travelers” GMT for sailors, pilots and tourists to change the local zone without stopping the movement.

Almost all ETA-2893 GMT are caller GMT, the only exception being the Alpina 4 GMT which has an inhouse module to convert the 2893 to a traveler GMT.

All Steinhart GMT are caller GMT.

Seiko, Rolex, Omega, Alpina are all Travelers GMT.
    dub82, warsh, andyk8 and 4 others like this.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account:

Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

Quote Originally Posted by dub82 View Post
    I have a question about the GMT mechanism on the Steinhart Ocean 39 GMT Premium 500.

From what I can tell there are two ways of implementing the GMT function in general:

1. The first type has an independently adjustable GMT hand, meaning it can be set separately from the local time indicated with the hour hand and is not linked to the date function.
    2. The second type links the GMT hand to the minute hand while the normal hour hand is independently adjustable and is linked to the date.

Which mechanism is used on the Ocean 39? Does it use another method? (Some may say that Steinhart use a GMT mechanism that doesn’t function…)

dub82
    The Steinhart GMT hand is not tied to the date and can be advanced only. It won't move backwards. You may have to circle the dial to get to the proper time zone. If the GMT hand was tied to the date it would be a real PITA to set sometimes. You do have to "hack" to set local time. That's what Yankee is referring to.
    On the Rolex, Omega etc., the hour hands can be jumped both ways and is tied to the date. In fact, that's how you set the date on these. For GMT use you jump the hour hand to the local time without hacking, preserving your accuracy.
    I've traveled extensively with both types and see them as equals. The few seconds lost that it takes to re-set to local time on a 2892 is no biggie. The watch likely gains or loses a few seconds anyway. Besides, I fiddle with it throughout the day.
    About the reliability of Steinhart's implementations of the GMT movements, that is a valid concern. There have been problems as you see from those threads. So far, this model hasn't shown those problems. I asked about it specifically in the 'Ocean 39 GMT Premium 500" thread. And FWIW, mine is properly aligned and works as it should.
    Last edited by slorollin; 1 Week Ago at 22:50.
    khanhdnk and dub82 like this.
    The great Confucius said that he would rather be a profound political economist than chief of police.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I used to have a Steinhart ETA 2893-2 GMT (with problems fixed under warranty), and at present have two Grand Seiko GMTs (spring drive and quartz), which both have "real" or "traveller" GMT complications. I greatly prefer the later what comes to GMT functionality. What comes to the watch itself, I sometimes regret giving it to one of my sons, but my watch box was getting too full already. One good looking piece of steel... If I could be sure it would work perfectly I could get another one. I was able to regulate it to +0.5 spd using just home tools.
    khanhdnk and dub82 like this.

Best GMT I ever owned, The Glycine Airman Bronze with 3 time zones. Far out does the others. But it's a whole different look.. Not a Diver look. It is for pilots more than anyone and great for travelers. The other is my Stainless Steel Airman 17. The lume is a little less on the indices but the function is spot on also with 3 time zones. Locking bezel screw on both. Just a real tool watch that has a unique look with both 12 hr and 24 hr Military capability.In places outside of the CONUS it comes in quite handy with 24 hr time and as with any analog watch, it can be used as a compass if you know how. Look at the pictures, you can easily tell if it is night or day .
    Attached Images Attached Images

HI Pjerome, Thanks for sharing, how big is the case size on those GMTs. I like the 39 mm case size on the Ocean 39.

lvt

I prefer Desk GMT over Caller GMT
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Thread Information