Old 39 mm Ocean 1 black needing new bezel insert
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Brooklyn Joe
  • 1 Post By Eodtech
  • 2 Post By Brooklyn Joe
  • 1 Post By Eodtech

Thread: Old 39 mm Ocean 1 black needing new bezel insert

Old 39 mm Ocean 1 black needing new bezel insert

So I have an original 39 mm Ocean 1 which I purchased from Steinhart USA (branded Steinhart and not Debaufre) in July 2006. Watch runs perfectly, crystal is immaculate, case has minor scratches here and there but nothing major. The black bezel insert has suffered the most, yet it is still majorly unscathed despite my ham-handedness and that I wear it every single day and only remove it to clean the back when I shower.

Having said that I would love to get a new bezel insert. I managed to scarf up a brand new bracelet from the US Partner before they ceased to be, and it is still in the original plastic, just saving it for future use.

I went and contacted Steinhart via email and got a kind of canned reply that no parts were available for the old watch whatsoever. I tell you, the current 39 mm Ocean One looks identical. I guess they would know, but I wonder if maybe they did not understand my question, because I posted it in English. I wonder if anyone has any knowledge if a bezel insert is obtainable, and if so, for how much? Would it fit the old one? If it wasn't a a lot, I'd roll the dice, maybe and order one. I love this watch so much. I'd almost spooky how accurate it keeps time. I gain a minute maybe every 6 - 8 weeks.
    venturacounty likes this.

Re: Old 39 mm Ocean 1 black needing new bezel insert

Hi Joe -

I have been collecting Steinhart's since about 2006 too and I also have several of the Original 39mm Ocean 1's (Black, Blue, Green and Red) and the GMT's. I will tell you finding an Original 39mm bezel insert is next to impossible. Steinhart is correct in that the newer inserts will NOT fit the older 39mm watches. The inserts are physically different. The Original inserts had a "Flat Back" where the newer ones have a "Stepped Back" and they sit higher in the bezel tract and sometimes the inner and outer diameter isn't an exact fit either.

Believe me, I have been looking for spares and I have found a few over the years, but I have not seen any in a very long time. The few examples that were produced by Steinhart are most likely already on watches and finding a spare that isn't beat up will be a true miracle. Some of the early Debaufre inserts may fit, but those are even more uncommon to find these days.

You have to remember, the 39mm Oceans and GMT's were really only made in very small numbers compared to their 42mm versions. Steinhart/Debaufre Oceans and GMT's were originally 42mm in size when the companies first launched and merged in the early 2000's. The 39mm's were only produced from approximately mid 2006 to late 2007 and that was really about it. In one sense you should feel really fortunate, as I do, to have such a rare piece of Steinhart history. But I also share in your frustration of trying to find parts to replace the originals, because there just aren't any available any longer.

Your best bet would be to probably try and have your old insert refurbished by a custom watch shop and I don't even know if that is a service that is offered. But finding an Original Steinhart 39mm Ocean 1 Black insert, would be a fantastic find and may cost you a pretty penny too.

Can you post a pic of your watch and insert..? Id love to see it...

Bob.

Thanks for your reply, Bob.

I'm a jerk, because a few years ago a guy in Springhill, FL, if I remember was selling bezel inserts for the original 39 mm (and for the 42, mm) on ebay, but not it black. I believe they were blue. I kept procrastinating, and eventually they were all sold for if I remember about 15.00 a pop. You snooze you lose. Here's what the watch looks like today in indoor and outdoor light. It's amazing how accurate this thing is. It gains about a minute every 6 - 8 weeks.

Name:  Ocean 1 - 1.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  496.1 KB

Name:  Ocean 1 - 2.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  582.4 KB
    venturacounty and Eodtech like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Joe -

You are welcome and I think it still looks great. I wouldn't change out that bezel for anything, It gives it character and adds to the story. Plus it isn't damaged very much at all.

Mine are very accurate too and Id never sell any of them. My O1B was my first Steinhart and it still runs great to this day. Here is my Red 39mm O1... :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice looking watches. Am I correct in thinking that the older dials were non maxi compared to the current 39mm? The applied markers look smaller?

Also, anyone know what size of dial these are on the newer model, which I have, and if anyone sells an after market? looking for white if possible, not the pearl color on the current 39mm.

Thanks.

Thread Information