Quality, Durability and Reliability of a Steinhart - Page 2
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Quality, Durability and Reliability of a Steinhart

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Quality, Durability and Reliability of a Steinhart

I have several Steinharts and couple more expensive brands like Tudor and Breitling. I love my Steinharts and they are durable and keep great time. However, I do notice the little differences when stepping up in price. My more expensive brands are a little better regulated and usually around 1 second per day. The Steinharts are still great at usually around 3 seconds per day. However, my Steinharts are consistent so you could probably have a watchmaker regulate it closer to 1 second per day. I also think my Tudor Pelagos (in house movement) would stand up slightly better to shocks than my Steinharts because the Tudor has a full balance bridge and freesprung balance.
    lvt likes this.

I used to wear a Rolex Sub as a daily. It's a 5 digit Sub and I still have it along with a couple others. I rarely wear them anymore simply because of the HUGE increase in value. Back in the 80's and 90's the Sub was worth about 1/10 of the price of my car. Now it is about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost. I have enough problems without worrying about my watch. Steinharts do everything my Rolexes did back then with absolutely no failures. Also, since those days there are so many cool, well made watches being produced my interests have have wandered. But, I know if I hadn't scratched that Rolex itch years ago I would have to scratch it now.
    lvt likes this.
    The great Confucius said that he would rather be a profound political economist than chief of police.

Quote Originally Posted by ColFlashman View Post
    The passed 30 years of the watch game passed me by as I was focused on personal and professional matters. Previously I obtained two Rolex watches before marriage heavily influenced by my father's preferences and experiences with one. Besides keeping great time, one of the notable advertised strengths of the Oyster Perpetual was its durability. I can report this is very true. My primary Rolex traveled much, swum in diverse bodies of water, sailed in others, climbed elsewhere, hunted and was subjected to repeated exposure and use of nail guns, hammers, mountain biking, dual sporting, and so on. The bottom line is that it has not been abused but it has been with me and whatever I was doing for 34 years. It has held up but looks a bit worn.

I rediscovered the watch world in researching whether it would be worthwhile to have the Rolex overhauled and cleaned, which it appears is about the cost of a Steinhart. The second Rolex was sold. Other than the impressive appearance, do Steinharts possess any of the other qualities of durability and reliability and timekeeping I have come to expect.
    Well sounds like your Rolex is also a sentimental piece and worth servicing for that reason.

As for Steinhart, I am a fan. I have owned two and for the price, I think they are well worth it and more than durable enough.
    "In the Eighties we were so amazingly primitive we still thought digital watches were a pretty neat idea."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nobody can say, really. Steinhart mostly uses ETA movements and that will always be the week point. I personally have only ever had ETA movements fail (one 6497 and one 2824). My Seikos and Miyotas just keep chugging along. But my experience my be 180* different than someone else's.

The real advantage to Steinhart is that when something does go wrong down the road, you're initial investment was considerably smaller than other brands that use the exact same off the shelf movements. Nobody offers the value that Steinhart does.
    -Dave

Steinhart sports watches are tough and resilient. The ETA 2824-2 elabore grade caliber -movement is the improved 2824 which has proven itself superior
    to the earlier 2824 caliber. The 2824-2 version is in the Steinhart Ocean 1 Explorer 39. Its a shock resistant dive watch that will keep
    good time while exposed to the excitement of a tool watch hard life.

Have read/researched that SOME Tudor models use ETA 2824-2 movements, fine tuned in house. Steinhart uses the ETA movements, including the 2824-2.
    Interesting, considering price of respective watch references.
    Last edited by SOGDIVER; 3 Days Ago at 01:46.

I just purchased on ocean vintage gmt.

Seems like an 80E service cost every 5 years and a really nice and easy to use company are the way tot go to me.....and yes, I could have gotten a Rolex...actually like the larger sized 1655 over the current generic rolex face (like the big hands though). These movements are tough and most imporantly, my local watchmaker can service them.

J

I have several watches in my regular rotation. Rolex GMT II Coke, Tudor BB and s few Seikos. But the one I wear the most is my Steinhart Ocean One Black Ceramic. I think I paid $350 for it, and short of having to check the bracelet screws for tightness on occasion, it has been a GREAT watch. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. (Keep and Service the Rolex BTW, you will not regret that for sure)

I personally own the Steinhart OVM 42mm with the ETA 2824-2 which I have had for just over 12 months, working great in rotation up until this week where the movement has developed a fault.

When hand winding the watch, the movement vibrate heavily with every turn of the crown and the rotor spins also but apart from that, once the watch is ticking it still keeps good time.

I contacted Steinhart as the watch is still within the manufacturer 24 months warranty period and they advised to send it in to them for repair so, it will be winging its way to Germany in the next few days.

Not sure how long it will take to repair so not expecting it back until the new year now.

I personally own the Steinhart OVM 42mm with the ETA 2824-2 which I have had for just over 12 months, working great in rotation up until this week where the movement has developed a fault.

When hand winding the watch, the movement vibrate heavily with every turn of the crown and the rotor spins also but apart from that, once the watch is ticking it still keeps good time.

I contacted Steinhart as the watch is still within the manufacturer 24 months warranty period and they advised to send it in to them for repair so, it will be winging its way to Germany in the next few days.

Not sure how long it will take to repair so not expecting it back until the new year now.

Quote Originally Posted by jcb-memphis View Post
    I just purchased on ocean vintage gmt.

Seems like an 80E service cost every 5 years and a really nice and easy to use company are the way tot go to me.....and yes, I could have gotten a Rolex...actually like the larger sized 1655 over the current generic rolex face (like the big hands though). These movements are tough and most imporantly, my local watchmaker can service them.

J
    Well, it arrived super fast.

Thoughts:

Unbelievable overall level of quality. Frankly EQUAL to anything I 've held from Rolex, even the winding.
    Great band, great clasp (they have really upped their game here). The hands, face, alignment, crystal, etc. Top tier.

No negatives. None. I just cannot think of one. I bought a cyclops to add to it and now am not so sure..but that is another topic altogether.

Really a game changer for me mentally. I actually have no desire now to shop an explorer II....this ticks my boxes and then some and I won't feel bad if it gets some patina....as they say. First bracelet watch I've been happy with in 15 years with the bracelet.....usually I put a Erika's Original on these days. Not this one. It also looks stunning. And, upon asking they like others will do a service and it is not too expensive. ETA's movements are super reliable and generic. It is a watch and it will eventually need service...probably for me once every 10y.

Thank you Steinhart for making nice watches affordable. Keep doing this forever please.

I have nothing to do with the company, paid full retail, and am just happy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information