Quality, Durability and Reliability of a Steinhart
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Quality, Durability and Reliability of a Steinhart

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quality, Durability and Reliability of a Steinhart

The passed 30 years of the watch game passed me by as I was focused on personal and professional matters. Previously I obtained two Rolex watches before marriage heavily influenced by my father's preferences and experiences with one. Besides keeping great time, one of the notable advertised strengths of the Oyster Perpetual was its durability. I can report this is very true. My primary Rolex traveled much, swum in diverse bodies of water, sailed in others, climbed elsewhere, hunted and was subjected to repeated exposure and use of nail guns, hammers, mountain biking, dual sporting, and so on. The bottom line is that it has not been abused but it has been with me and whatever I was doing for 34 years. It has held up but looks a bit worn.

I rediscovered the watch world in researching whether it would be worthwhile to have the Rolex overhauled and cleaned, which it appears is about the cost of a Steinhart. The second Rolex was sold. Other than the impressive appearance, do Steinharts possess any of the other qualities of durability and reliability and timekeeping I have come to expect.

Re: Quality, Durability and Reliability of a Steinhart

I typically remove my watches when doing any sort of construction so I canít speak to nail guns. Iíve owned my Steinhart OVM for ~ 2 years and worn it in rotation with a few other pieces. So far itís held up to whatever Iíve put it through (daily wear, oceans/pools) but it sounds to me like you put your watches through a bit more than I do.

FWIW - Id definitely get your Rolex serviced over buying a new Steinhart. Sounds like a piece with some serious character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own 22 steinharts, and some other watches as well, istarted buying them in 2008 and none of them ever needed service. At the cost of all of these watches i could have bought 1 rolex, 1 iwc pilot and 1 panerai, but i love my watches and there is no need to own one of these “big” brands. They all keep great time and i wear most of them. Durability in my opinion is great.
    Steinharts: nav b 44 A and B type ss, nav b titan 44 A and B type, nav b bronze 44 mm, nav b chronograph 44, nav b chronograph kiga, nav b chronograph black dlc, marine officer bronze, marine officer grey, marine chronograph bronze premium, marine chronograph, aviation, aviation vintage, o1 vintage, o1 vintage red, o1 bronze, o1 vintage chronograph, o1 vintage dual time, marine chronometer, flighttimer, racetimer,
    Glycine: airman 44, combat sub.
    Ocean7: ​lm-7
    Halios: ​laguna

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I rediscovered the watch world in researching whether it would be worthwhile to have the Rolex overhauled and cleaned, which it appears is about the cost of a Steinhart. The second Rolex was sold. Other than the impressive appearance, do Steinharts possess any of the other qualities of durability and reliability and timekeeping I have come to expect.[/QUOTE]

I was wearing my Steinhart Ocean One GMT Red/Blue ("Pepsi") yesterday when a colleague asked about my watch. He was wearing the real thing, A Rolex "Pepsi" GMT and I of course, was wearing my Steinhart. He thought mine was the "real thing" and had zeroed in on the Jubilee bracelet of my watch. I confessed and told him that no, it's not a Rolex and that "this particular watch get's way more attention/comments than any other watch that I've ever owned". It really seems to catch the eyes of complete strangers. Now, I did not buy the watch seeking attention and I also laughed about it, commenting that I have a "safe Queen Submariner that I just had serviced at a cost of almost $900 dollars and the Sub is rarely asked about". The Steinhart is within about 2 seconds a day and the service on the Rolex could have almost purchased two of the Steinharts. To date, the Steinhart seems to be wearing quite well, bracelet exhibits virtually no stretch and other than a warranty issue that was quickly resolved (the GMT hand would not engage), the watch has been fantastic and keeps awesome time, gaining about a minute a month.

I've only had the watch since April but it's pretty much my daily wear watch and she still looks close to new. I'm probably only one step away from being classified as a gorilla when it comes to the beating my watches take. I'm not intentionally hard on them but I spend a lot of time outdoors and wrenching on things in my garage. I rarely think about removing the watch till it's taken a few licks or it's obvious I'll be working in a confined space...which is why the Sub is a "safe queen".....!

Good luck with whatever you decide but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Steinhart. I also wouldn't sell the Rolex, I suspect you'd eventually regret doing so.

Never had a problem with any of my Steinharts. TBH the titanium is a bit scratchy but no more than any other brand on the market.

Purchased in 2008. Its been Sky diving, Surfing, Skiing, Years at work, Dog Training and still going strong. Its been serviced twice in 12 years and still running like a champ. Its old, beat up and faded and I will never get rid of this watch. It has been literally bullet proof for me. I have a very large collection of Steinhart and Debaufre watches and NONE of them have ever failed me, this one just happens to be my favorite...
    Attached Images Attached Images

yankeexpress and TukangFikir like this.

lvt

The only thing I can be sure is that today's Steinhart watches are better than Rolex watches made 30 years ago.
    yankeexpress and David G. like this.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

In my experience, Steinhart is a good $500-$600 watch that has the expected $500-$600 durability and reliability but I wouldn't go crazy and say they are anywhere as reliable, durable or in the same league as a Rolex.

As the current owner of two Rolex Submariners and an Ocean 39 Explorer Steinhart, all three watches have been put through what is expected of durabilty stresses not commonly
    found in every day usage. That being said, part of this is due to the service encountered for 50 years with an original owner 1680 red Submariner. This tool watch has been subjected to extended military use including combat, military SCUBA school and subsequent military diving, military parachute jumps, and a host of punishing outdoor activities. The red Sub
    burned up 4 crystals through heavy use. This type of resilient service builds brand loyalty. (Seeing the increase in investment value is also an indirect benefit).
    This vintage Rolex would probably run circles around many of today's "sport" watches-including the current Rolex references.

A Steinhart watch may just retail for the equivalent of a Rolex service invoice. But we are talking apples and oranges. Whether a 911 Porsche or Toyota 4-Runner: one must change the oil and filter-while also monitoring the brake pads. I use all my watches, and may wear a NATO band in deep water to avoid the chance of a lost watch due to a spring bar failure or impact.
    The Steinhart O1 39 Explorer gilt dial closely resembles the 5513 Rolex Submariner 1960s rare gilt dial, and for that reason attracts some attention. Now my wife is wearing that watch as it serves as a "back up" to her Rolex now being serviced.
    edowar likes this.

lvt

Even if a Steinhart watch only has half of the Rolex's quality, it's already a good deal given the price.

Anyway, buy a Rolex if you can afford it.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information