Rusted spring bars?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Rusted spring bars?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Rusted spring bars?

I recently spent a week in Florida swimming, golfing, etc. and I was wearing my Ocean 1 VM all week. I just removed the bracelet to put a different strap on it and the spring bars are rusted like crazy. Has anyone else had this issue? I love this watch but I can honestly say I'm a little disappointed in Steinhart at the low quality spring bars. The inside of the lugs are also discolored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Rusted spring bars?

Did you thoroughly clean your watch, bracelet, spring bars at the end of each day you took it swimming?

Quote Originally Posted by ecb116 View Post
    Did you thoroughly clean your watch, bracelet, spring bars at the end of each day you took it swimming?
    Yes I did. Also this is a dive watch. A little bathing in less that 5' of water rusting out the spring bars is a little disconcerting.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Rust doesn't set overnight! these spring bars have been marinated for a while.

Spring bars are consumable items to be replaced on a regular basis. even a thorough rinsing of the watch in fresh water will not totally dislodge salty water from inside the spring bars, lug holes and bracelet end links.

WOW, this is a new one. Time for some new spring bars..

Houls, I can assure you no one that I recall has ever raised this issue before in this Steinhart forum.
    James.

Longines -- Panerai -- Steinhart

The best quality spring bars available would soon or later end up like that, the central bar and the two plungers may be highly corrosion resistant but the two coiled springs pushing the plungers are not by construction and there is always some humidity remaining trapped there to start corrosion, and when seeping out it may contaminate the inside of the lugs, the end links and the same may occur at the clasp/diver's extension.

Replacing all spring bars from a stainless steel bracelet every year is good practice.
    Last edited by kelt; May 4th, 2016 at 13:16.

Quote Originally Posted by kelt View Post
    The best quality spring bars available would soon or later end up like that, the central bar and the two plungers may be highly corrosion resistant but the two coiled springs pushing the plungers are not by construction and there is always some humidity remaining trapped there to start corrosion, and when seeping out it may contaminate the inside of the lugs, the end links and the same may occur at the clasp/diver's extension.

Replacing all spring bars from a stainless steel bracelet every year is good practice.
    Agreed. Here's the rub. I've only had the watch for a month and wore it in the water exactly twice. I wholeheartedly agree that over time and exposure the bars will need to be replaced but 33 days in? Seems a little off to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Riker View Post
    WOW, this is a new one. Time for some new spring bars..

Houls, I can assure you no one that I recall has ever raised this issue before in this Steinhart forum.
    I'm not disappointed in the quality of the watch. In fact it is my "if I could only keep one watch". I'm just surprised that after only having this watch for a month this happened so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by kelt View Post

No kidding! I'm not sure why you'd think that but the spring bars in my Tudor Sub 75090 lasted over 20 years without looking like that...in fact I see no rust at all.

It's been in swimming pools, the ocean, drenched in my sweat and what have you but no, this NEVER happened.

And I know I haven't replaced them, not even by accident, because it is the only watch in my collection with 18mm lug width.

a watch is meant to be worn

I'm really skeptical. Also rusty after just 33 days and some bathroom ? Even with the worst of china steel we would not arrive at this result ! Honestly I really hard to believe this story so much that you do provide us with photos of spingbars without the watch ... which should also have seen traces of corrosion state ...

... but ... if it's really true ... contact Steinhart at : [email protected] and Günter Steinhart
    will do anything to repair this problem ...

For you information, i have a ocean one which have 2 years, i have checked the springbars today and all she's perfect, like the first day .... and i wear this watch all days .... swimming pool, sea ....
    Last edited by fbonnus; May 4th, 2016 at 18:25.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information