Service or replace ETA movement
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Service or replace ETA movement

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Service or replace ETA movement

I've been daily wearing my OVM 39 for just over 1.5 years and have grown to like this watch. I've reached out to a local watch repair shop (Stoll & Co) to see about service fees and they currently charge $275. At that rate it sounds better to just run this movement until it bites the dust and simple replace the movement. New ETA 2824-2's can be found on eBay under $200, I'm not sure how much the labor would be to swap.

What does everyone else do with $500 watches? I will like the patina I have on this watch after 10+ years so I would like to keep it working for the least amount of money.

Re: Service or replace ETA movement

Hell for $260 you could find a top grade ETA 2824-2

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

They, those movements, will outlast you...so my understanding......why does it need a service..? After 1.5 years..?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I wouldn't service now but would wait until 5-6 years, but can I get two services out of the movement before it quits?

Quote Originally Posted by sidefx View Post
    I wouldn't service now but would wait until 5-6 years, but can I get two services out of the movement before it quits?
    I have had my Original 39mm O1B for almost 13 years now and only had it serviced once and that was a little while ago. The service cost me $125. (He inspected, lubed it and replaced the seals) The watch was running great before the service and its running great again now. I just wanted my watchmaker to open it up and give it the once over after such a long time. Im not sure how often you need to have it serviced if you are constantly wearing it, but I have a few in my rotation and mine lasted at least 12 years.

I have had several of my other older Steinhart/Debaufre's serviced after a problem arose and again the cost wasn't as much as you were quoted. Maybe I am just lucky and have a reasonable watch maker, but $275 seems like an awful lot to me...

I paid $325 to get an old sector 600 fixed but it needed a new balance spring i think it was $40 for that alone. This was November of 2015

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Unless it needs service, I wouldn't touch it. Let it run until it dies. Then buy a replacement movement and have it installed.

$275 sounds excessive to me for a cookie-cutter ETA movement. The price you're talking about is the equivalent of what they charge in Japan to service a Rolex.
    Seulement, il faut du temps pour être heureux. Beaucoup de temps. Le bonheur lui aussi est une longue patience. - Only, it takes time to be happy. A lot of time. Happiness, too, is a long patience.

first of all, why does your watch needs service after only 1.5 year? if your watch is running weird I would contact Steinhart to see what they suggest.

I have serviced multiple watches with different watchmaker. Last one I serviced was an Omega w/ Valjoux 7750 and I 4 different options. Mind you, I bought the watch 10 years ago, it was running accurately but It was getting a little difficult to wind and move the hands.

1) service it with my watchmaker friend, who works in his apartment. Price $150
    2) An hour drive to a semi local Omega & CW21 certified watchmaker in a very congested area of the city. $395 + $20 parking.
    3) a very close by watchmaker who wanted $750
    4) Omega which was walking distance from my work $750

I chose option #2, he did an excellent job in about 3 weeks. Despite being out of my way, I think it was worth it.

My point is, you can find cheaper and you can find more expensive watchmaker. It all depends on what you are comfortable with.

lvt

$275?

Does the price include water-resistance test?
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information