Steinhart OVM V3 Stiff/Stuck Bezel
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lvt

Thread: Steinhart OVM V3 Stiff/Stuck Bezel

Hello,

I searched and found a thread about this topic in this forum but it was a general one and unfortunately it did not help me in my problem. So I just opened this thread specifically about OVM in hopes of getting any help and finding more information.

I have been a Steinhart OVM Neu (Version 3) owner for 6 months. After 6 months of gentle use my watch's dive bezel started to get really stiff just today. It didn't meet any corrosive chemical in its 6-months-life, actually it didn't even get a water splash until today after I tried to loosen the bezel by trying to turn it in water which was recommended in a thread I found. Even though it gets loosen up from time to time it reverts back to its stiff, sometimes stuck status. In other threads WD40/oil and dental floss was recommended also. I won't try any WD40/oil on my bezel since I don't trust the fact that any other lubricant than a proper watchmaker lubricant would be sufficient for this problem. I may try the dental floss technique but I fear that I may damage the watch. I have already sent back my beloved watch to guarantee service in march for hand alignment issue and after it came back everything was good enough. Now this happened all of a sudden and I am thinking about sending it back to Germany again for rapair.

Can you please enlighten me on this subject?

Thank you in advance...

Re: Steinhart OVM V3 Stiff/Stuck Bezel

Hard to tell.
    If you have a local watchmaker, maybe get them to take a look at it. Sending it back to Steinhart will run you the risk of having the watch sent back to you with a "no fault found" note.
    For the price point that Steinhart sells at and the fact these bezels are almost certainly from a (decent) Chinese factory, you cannot expect the bezel movement of a more expensive watch.
    Seulement, il faut du temps pour être heureux. Beaucoup de temps. Le bonheur lui aussi est une longue patience. - Only, it takes time to be happy. A lot of time. Happiness, too, is a long patience.

Some bezels can be very stiff, especially on the 39mm models, which seem to be more prone to it.

The best solution is to take a length of dental floss and soak it in WD40 - just find an old jar top and put the floss in and spray it. Ease the floss between the bezel and the Watch case and gently rotate the case. I see you don't like WD40, so an alternative silicone type spray from your local hardware store would work just as well.

Repeat the exercise as necessary and give the bezel a good workout and it should loosen up nicely.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

lvt

Stay away from WD-40, just use silicone oil instead.
    moarlo likes this.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

lvt

I rinse my Pepsi's bezel every week with soft brush and warm soapy water. It works smoothly since 2 years.

Stuck bezel can happen with any watch if you don't brush it from time to time.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Thank you for all the suggestions. For a reason, which I won't ask, my bezel started to work properly again. But it is still an alerting fact that it stucks and doesn't work in its perfect mechanical tactility. I can only hope for now that it won't stuck again but if it does I will return it to Steinhart until the end of guarantee time.

Thread Information