Steinhart quality issues..

Thread: Steinhart quality issues..

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7

    Steinhart quality issues..

    Hi everyone,

    Long time lurker second time poster :)

    I have two Steinhart watches and have had 3 quality issues. I'm wondering overall if I should keep bothering or just move on from this brand..

    The one I have at the moment is a Aviation GMT (http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/Av...tic,256.html)- which I absolutely love apart from the quality issues. Firstly the watch band loops split and the watch band itself seemed to fall apart quite quickly (2 weeks since new, I posted on this before and got some helpful suggestions for replacements). It's sat on my shelf ever since as I was a bit over it.

    Recently I found a custom watch band maker which I thought would make a really good strap so I got all excited and measured the watch. While measuring I noticed that the screw caps (not sure if that's the term?) that screw into each end of the watchband pins didn't sit flush. I thought firstly that they weren't screwed in properly so I took it apart to have a look but it seems like 2 out of the 4 holes in the case are simply not drilled out all the way and aren't as deep as the two that are done properly.

    What this means is that 2 of the screws stick out from the side of the case and the other 2 don't. It's like someone had the case in the drill press and didn't hold it to the end! I never noticed it before but now that I have I see it all the time.. :(

    If it wasn't bad enough I went to "the snow" on a trip over the weekend and since I arrived back the watch has fogged up inside. I know this model is not waterproof but the watch wasn't exposed to the snow nor was the crown popped out outside. It simply travelled from one cold place on a road trip to a place that isn't so cold (we're talkin 5 degrees, then a 6 hour drive in a car to somewhere that's like 15 degrees).

    So basically wondering if this is to be expected? The case I think is a flat out manufacturing mistake and then a QA failure. With the fogginess I'm not sure if it's just simply the case that I can't take this model Steinhart between different temperatures? I would imagine the Aviation GMT, being a pilots watch (at least in style), would be fine going from place to place where the difference in temp would be more than the 10-15 degrees celsius we're talkin about here..

    Am I just having a bad run and should I ask for a warranty or am I being too picky and should just start saving for a more expensive watch that will have a good strap, not fog up after a road trip and have the case drilled out properly? (This is not even mentioning my Ocean 1 which is in the post heading back to Germany now..)
    Last edited by angercopter; July 23rd, 2012 at 07:11.

  2. #2
    Member Riker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    6,109

    Re: Steinhart quality issues..

    Welcome angercopter.

    Seems you have had a little bad luck but it isn't all bad. The strap problem you previously raised is not a common problem & frankly seems to be a poorly made strap. This isn't directly Steinharts problem in that they did not make the strap & a cursory look at it would probably not indicate any issue with it. However, it is a Steinhart strap & they would replace it for you.

    If I read you correctly, the case lugs have not been machined in a manner that have the lug screws sitting equally on both sides of the lugs. This is again a very rare problem & a quick look through this thread & other forums indicate that. For your peace of mind this is a warranty issue & you should contact Steinhart to have it looked at. Your contact at Steinhart for warranty/service is [email protected]. As I haven't seen the watch nor seen if the hex screws are fully wound in, make sure they are fully would in (do not over tighten). If they are still as you have mentioned then contact Steinhart & get the watch sorted.

    The foggy dial issue is not all that uncommon in cold conditions for any watch from any brand especially a watch that is not water proof. If at any point you were sweating (even lightly) under heavy clothing & the watch was against your skin then that is the perfect situation to cause the watch to suffer from fogging in a cool environment. Even moreso if the crown was possibly not fully wound closed. Over time it will dissappear but how long that takes..??? Steinhart will also correct this during the warranty service should you choose to send it.

    I can tell you that generally Steinhart watches are very well made, but for a very small number that do have problems. For all the watches they sell they get a proportionally very small number back for warranty issues. That ofcourse doesn't help you much but at least you know these are no common problems & they can be rectified.

    Let me know how you get on via PM if you like.
    James.



    Longines -- Panerai -- Steinhart

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7

    Re: Steinhart quality issues..

    Quote Originally Posted by Riker View Post
    Welcome angercopter.

    Seems you have had a little bad luck but it isn't all bad. The strap problem you previously raised is not a common problem & frankly seems to be a poorly made strap. This isn't directly Steinharts problem in that they did not make the strap & a cursory look at it would probably not indicate any issue with it. However, it is a Steinhart strap & they would replace it for you.
    Thanks!

    My impression with Steinhart is that there are some core people who outsource their manufacturing, including the bands, cases and movements etc. Without any (or limited) manufacturing capability I especially see this as directly their problem (or at least my problem.. with them ha!) I think this is an adhesive or manufacturing thing so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a batch. Anyway it doesn't matter I didn't tell them when I got it so no reason to get a replacement. It's good to know for next time though that maybe this was just a bad one off.


    Quote Originally Posted by Riker View Post
    If I read you correctly, the case lugs have not been machined in a manner that have the lug screws sitting equally on both sides of the lugs. This is again a very rare problem & a quick look through this thread & other forums indicate that. For your peace of mind this is a warranty issue & you should contact Steinhart to have it looked at. Your contact at Steinhart for warranty/service is [email protected]. As I haven't seen the watch nor seen if the hex screws are fully wound in, make sure they are fully would in (do not over tighten). If they are still as you have mentioned then contact Steinhart & get the watch sorted.
    Yes that's correct. Cheers for the suggestion I did check that already. I didn't realise the lug screws was a known issue common enough to be posted in more than this post! I didn't even think to search.. Anyway in my case I hope they won't think I'm a watch hypochondriac .. I hope I'm still in warranty and if not I hope they don't mind that I only noticed now.. :(

    Quote Originally Posted by Riker View Post
    The foggy dial issue is not all that uncommon in cold conditions for any watch from any brand especially a watch that is not water proof. If at any point you were sweating (even lightly) under heavy clothing & the watch was against your skin then that is the perfect situation to cause the watch to suffer from fogging in a cool environment. Even moreso if the crown was possibly not fully wound closed. Over time it will dissappear but how long that takes..??? Steinhart will also correct this during the warranty service should you choose to send it.
    This is a bit of a surprise. This is my first non-water proof watch but are you saying this is expected? I've never had any other watch do this even through greater temperature changes and that includes an older modest dress watch. Just to clarify- the fogging happened when I got home into warmer weather. I would expect if I was sweating into it I'd see it shortly after sweating into it? The watch looks horrible. If it's going to get foggy every time I go somewhere cold and warm with a jumper on then I'd probably not bother with it further tbh.. It's not a vintage $10k watch I could imagine being so easily susceptible this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Riker View Post
    I can tell you that generally Steinhart watches are very well made, but for a very small number that do have problems. For all the watches they sell they get a proportionally very small number back for warranty issues. That ofcourse doesn't help you much but at least you know these are no common problems & they can be rectified.

    Let me know how you get on via PM if you like.
    Great help in clarifying what's the be expected which is why I asked.. I'm happy to hear more maybe I've just lucked into the Friday arvo models because I do like the premise of this brand and some of their watches. Best case scenario is that I got two bung watches and I get two repairs.. Then I get grab that watch band I've been thinking off and enjoy them for a bit :P

    Thanks for the reply.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Tony A.H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Boston. USA
    Posts
    8,703

    Re: Steinhart quality issues..

    sorry to hear about your Bad Experience.

    Personally i've had Great Quality with every Steinhart Watch i Bought , including All the Straps..
    i Believe that They have a Great Product, and for that Reason ? i will Definitely Buy more from Them .

    i have a couple of Nav-B.Uhr That are Not WaterProof but Never had a Problem getting Moisture in to the Cases and underneath the Crystal !.

    i suggest to have your Watch Checked out by a Watchmaker (could be a Bad Gasket ?) but i wouldn't Give up on this Wonderful Brand.

    Best of Luck
    The Emotion is Aroused by Something Marvelous. Gazed with Wonder.


    Pink Floyd in Pilot Suits... oh, LOVE The Band.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7

    Re: Steinhart quality issues..

    Awesome great to know. Kind of relieved to hear it .. Thanks for the good wish I will keep my fingers crossed and thinking optimistically.. both posts seem to indicate that I have a good chance of a positive outcome..

    I have to say though, if Steinhart make this right (by wearing all costs and returning to me the working watches without the defects) I will be totally and utterly amazed and enthralled by the little brand that could. I say little as it would be undeniable evidence that they can, as a company/brand, play with the big boys.. and show that good value doesn't have to be cheap. (In fact i'm pretty sure my brothers tag had to be taken physically to the repair centre... all I had to do was call fedex).

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •