Steinhart shipping to Canada?
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Steinhart shipping to Canada?

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Steinhart shipping to Canada?

Wondering if anyone here lives in Canada has had a Steinhart watch shipped to them.

I am curious to know how it worked out with the details, were you charged brokerage, duty and all that other nonsense that can happen if the wrong courier is used etc....

Let me know if you have any insight

Thanks

Re: Steinhart shipping to Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by jdmb1975 View Post
    Wondering if anyone here lives in Canada has had a Steinhart watch shipped to them.

I am curious to know how it worked out with the details, were you charged brokerage, duty and all that other nonsense that can happen if the wrong courier is used etc....

Let me know if you have any insight

Thanks
    I've received many watches from Germany. Typically, Steinhart included, they want to ship via one of the big courier companies. The problem with those companies is that they're worse than the tax man. You will get nailed with duty and GST charges, PLUS, the courier company will ding you for their brokerage fee (because they were nice enough to clear the watch through customs on your behalf).

The last Steinhart I received, the Marine Chronometer, cost me over $100 more than the cost of the watch.

Here's what you can try. I always insist now (and Herr Steinhart is very accommodating, though he's not a fan of other shipping methods) on having watches shipped using either the sender's local postal service, or in the case of watches coming from Germany, using DHL (yes, they're a courier too, but they're somehow linked to Deutsche Post I think).

I've found that my chances of the watch arriving at my door without ANY additional charges is greater than 50 percent with this method.

The extras are the silent killer when it comes to watch purchases for me. Once I've stomached the cost of the watch there's the seller's shipping charge and all the other ones I detailed earlier to consider.

We'll leave the discussion of exchange rates for another time...
    Last edited by Uwe W.; January 11th, 2010 at 02:01.

It's off topic I suppose, but on similar note. Uwe or maybe others here, do you have any experience with shipping from States/Canada to Europe and the Customs/Vat charges? I would like to purchase a watch in the forums sales corner but most sellers seem to be from States. What would be the best method then? Needless to say, I don't want to get hit...(Considering value of the watch in mind I should probably get it insured and that might be additional problem)...

Quote Originally Posted by Uwe W. View Post
    I've received many watches from Germany. Typically, Steinhart included, they want to ship via one of the big courier companies. The problem with those companies is that they're worse than the tax man. You will get nailed with duty and GST charges, PLUS, the courier company will ding you for their brokerage fee (because they were nice enough to clear the watch through customs on your behalf).

The last Steinhart I received, the Marine Chronometer, cost me over $100 more than the cost of the watch.

Here's what you can try. I always insist now (and Herr Steinhart is very accommodating, though he's not a fan of other shipping methods) on having watches shipped using either the sender's local postal service, or in the case of watches coming from Germany, using DHL (yes, they're a courier too, but they're somehow linked to Deutsche Post I think).

I've found that my chances of the watch arriving at my door without ANY additional charges is greater than 50 percent with this method.

The extras are the silent killer when it comes to watch purchases for me. Once I've stomached the cost of the watch there's the seller's shipping charge and all the other ones I detailed earlier to consider.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the response. I am all too aware of the duty, brokerage etc from dealing with auto realted items, mostly wheels and tires before tire rack got a standard rate together for shipping to Canada.

It is hard to buy something when you are no 100% sure how much it is going to cost you once it arrives.

I guess I will ask them if they would be willing to help me out and ship via DHL. I know that courier well as I use them fromt time to time to ship. Their rates even domestically are very fair.

Who would you suggest I ask to speak with to increase the chances that I might not have to pay the extra charges?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdmb1975 View Post
    Who would you suggest I ask to speak with to increase the chances that I might not have to pay the extra charges?
    Thanks
    Just email Steinhart through the store and explain in the email that you want the watch shipped via Deutsche Post/DHL. Either Guenther or Sabine will probably reply. They'll tell you that it's not a good idea to ship DHL because they don't provide a tracking number outside of Germany. I'm not sure why they think/say that because I've had other watches shipped to me from Germany via DHL and they had tracking numbers that I could use.

I was about to order another Steinhart recently and they had agreed to do it, so I don't see why they wouldn't for you as well.

Which model are you interested in?

Quote Originally Posted by blighter View Post
    It's off topic I suppose, but on similar note. Uwe or maybe others here, do you have any experience with shipping from States/Canada to Europe and the Customs/Vat charges? I would like to purchase a watch in the forums sales corner but most sellers seem to be from States. What would be the best method then? Needless to say, I don't want to get hit...(Considering value of the watch in mind I should probably get it insured and that might be additional problem)...
    Alas, I'm one of the nutters that NEVER sells a watch. So I have no idea about how it would work going in the opposite direction.

Your best bet is to find other WIS people in your country (Ireland?) and poll them for their experiences. I would post something to that effect in the General watch forum as you're more likely to get replies there.

The best alternative would be if you knew someone in the US that could receive the watch and then forward it to you stuffed inside of a dead fish. Eventually the smell will wash off the watch, and you will have saved a bundle...

The best alternative would be if you knew someone in the US that could receive the watch and then forward it to you stuffed inside of a dead fish. Eventually the smell will wash off the watch, and you will have saved a bundle...
    Thanks, but it wasn't going to be a diver watch

Just email Steinhart through the store and explain in the email that you want the watch shipped via Deutsche Post/DHL. Either Guenther or Sabine will probably reply. They'll tell you that it's not a good idea to ship DHL because they don't provide a tracking number outside of Germany. I'm not sure why they think/say that because I've had other watches shipped to me from Germany via DHL and they had tracking numbers that I could use.

I was about to order another Steinhart recently and they had agreed to do it, so I don't see why they wouldn't for you as well.

Which model are you interested in?
    Thanks for the response.

Going to order one for sure maybe two of them. The current limited edition silver and a perhaps another.

Yes, try to get it sent via the postal system. I've never had to pay gst, pst, duty or fees when recieving a watch by mail.

Quote Originally Posted by roadie View Post
    Yes, try to get it sent via the postal system. I've never had to pay gst, pst, duty or fees when recieving a watch by mail.
    Did you have it insured then or just crossing your fingers?

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information