Underwhelmed by Rolex Explorer II
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Underwhelmed by Rolex Explorer II

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Underwhelmed by Rolex Explorer II

I tried on a 2006 Rolex Explorer II today and I wasn’t as impressed as I thought I would be. I have been wearing a Steinhart Ocean One Black 42mm for about five years now and I have thoroughly enjoyed it...

After feeling and seeing the Rolex on my wrist I can only say that I just didn’t feel it. It was far lighter and seemed flimsy. Especially the clasp. Am I alone here? Anybody else had a similar experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jbsutta and Mirabello1 like this.

I have a 216570 and feel it is an amazing piece of work, tremendously solid and beautiful. Maybe try the 6 digit reference instead of the 5.
    Attached Images Attached Images

jbsutta and mkeric1 like this.

Re: Underwhelmed by Rolex Explorer II

Quote Originally Posted by SergeantBernie View Post
    I have a 216570 and feel it is an amazing piece of work, tremendously solid and beautiful. Maybe try the 6 digit reference instead of the 5.
    Thats a beauty! Looks cool on the nato

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I had a Rolex GMT Master Root Beer for 27 years. I got bored and decided it was time for it to go. I replaced it with about 4 other nicely made watches and a long vacation. I don't think I could ever find a reason to buy another watch that is like a Porsche off warranty..and needs checkups, and lube jobs and this and that and AD's trying to sell me new bezels at a premium, telling me the gold is a little faded and for 1800 they can replace my Jubilee bracelet with one that is not so loose .It needs to be polished to take the scratches out, the crystal (Plexi) has a scratch and I can get a new one for only $125. I replaced it with a new plexi crystal for $25. Same quality as gen. They tried to replace my Tritium dial too , and give me a replacement that was made with Superluminova for an obvious ridiculous price. BS is not my idea of service. I have many watches that I consider more versatile with 3 time zones and military time on the dials. My Steinhart looks just as nice as my Rolex ever did. I remember paying over $300. in 1991 for a new hairspring that was "damaged" when I accidentally bumped my wrist with a tennis raquet ..Not that hard either. If I knew what I know now, I could have fixed it myself.
    Steinhart Ocean 1 customized by me vs my older Rolex GMT...in pictures. At least a difference of nearly $6000. in price but not as satisfying for my purposes. I'd rather have 5 good watches for the same price as 1.

mkeric1 likes this.

Hi Michael -

Here is obvious solution to your problem.. It looks great, keeps great time, Swiss made and above all else its a Steinhart..!!

The only downside is they didn't make very many of them. But I bet if you found one, this would be the answer to your situation...

Bob.

cosmic55 and JohnBPittsburgh like this.

I tried on the Rolex GMT Master II, 2-tone ceramic (116713) about a month ago. Used they wanted $10,600. I dunno.... I was underwhelmed as well. So much $$$ for a watch. I was wearing my OVM 39 and I think the price difference between the 2 watches was absolutely stupid. Just my humble opinion.

I had that same 5digit in white; I remember when I got it it felt sooo heavy. Sadly it was stolen 7 years later. In my watch journey I’ve also become much more comfortable wearing larger and heavy watches. I still lust at replacing it but at the moment it is not feasible. I know I’m in the minority but my c2000 with simple fliplock clasp is my favorite in that it is not bulky and continued the taper perfectly. My favorite these days is O1-500 Name:  B21693FC-D631-4738-BC05-68E1B6F45544.jpeg
Views: 105
Size:  1.36 MB
    Last edited by jbsutta; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:59.
    FBPB and JohnBPittsburgh like this.

iPad error double post
    Last edited by jbsutta; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:59. Reason: Duplicate

I tried a 5 digit Explorer II when I picked up my new Seamaster 8800 last year and was also completely underwhelmed - my Omega felt infinitely more solid.

As above - consensus is that the 216570 is a much better watch if you're comfortable with the larger size.

Oh man, that root beer...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information