Basel 2006 Report, by Mike Stuffler

Thread: Basel 2006 Report, by Mike Stuffler

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    stuffler,mike

Basel 2006 Report, by Mike Stuffler

Hi guys,

As I already posted I am back from Basel. Here are some of the news I could gather (some others I got will be published if the time is right). Here´s my report:

Baselworld 2006

I arrived at Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg Airport at 08.20 in the morning (got up at 04:15h), took the free shuttle bus and arrived at 09.10h, right in time because the Basel fair is opened from 09.00h to 18.00h. So 9.00 hours to see what I wanted to see. Hurry up Mike !

I don´t know if I am right, but my impression was that the Baselworld got more visitors than in the years before. I noticed a lot of Japanese and other non-european customers being interested in German Watches.

Maybe due to that (noticable) fact I found it quite remarkable that LIMES (CEO Mr. Ickler, Mr. Hoenig), Sinn, Jörg Schauer, Meistersinger, Nomos (Mr. Montag) took their time to talk to me. My special thanks go to Mr. Ickler and Mr. Montag because they spent a lot of time to discuss brand related issues.

I may add that I really enjoyed the come-together at the "5-o`clock-tea" (Don´t know if tea really was offered or offered at the Schauer-lounge located close to the Baselworld fairground (Ramada-Hotel). My thanks so far go to the Stowa-Team, Ernie & his lovely wife, Greg Bottle (studio808.co.uk) and "entourage" :-D , Bill Yao (mkiiwatches), the Watchbuys-Guys and some japanese customers of Jörg Schauer for the watch related small talk.

News

LIMES News

A new model will be released soon. It´s a ETA 2893-2 based GMT watch. This watch will be water resistant to 1000m.

The movement will be finished in the way we are used to when talking about Limes watches: Movement: highly decorated, adjusted to five positions, 28.800 b/h, 21 jewels, blued ss screws, Glucydur balance, Nivarox 1 hairspring, Incabloc shock absorption, LIMES logo.

Diameter: comfortable 41,2mm.

The watch will provide the possibility to read three different time zones. Therefore the GMT hand has two arrows, the smaller one will indicate the second time zone, the third time zone will be indicated by the outer arrow in accordance to the outer scale of the bezel.

The model´s name isn´t fixed yet. LIMES will let us know in the time to come. Prices: 995 Euro with rubber strap, 1145 Euro with ss bracelet.

In the near future the Pharo line will become upgraded by a new case design. The pic I took will give you an impression how the cases will look like:

IMHO the new case is another contribution to the classic flavor of the Pharo line.

The Limes Endurance became a face lift (new bezel in black) and the cases are grown a bit from 39,9 to 41,2 mm. The Limes Endurance will still be available with the silver bezel too.

For more pics see the LIMES web-site.

Glashütte Original

Saw all the new models in the flesh but due to the lighting it wasn´t possible to get them all. The pics I saw did not do justice to the GO Flieger, it´s just a gorgeous watch.

Meistersinger

Meistersinger will launch a 1Z with power reserve indication:

The 1Z PR will be available with a white or cream dial. Availability: no information.

SINN

Besides the Sinn watches we all know...

.... Sinn showed the new regulateur models. The stainless steel version will retail for 1450 Euro, the golden regulateur will be about 6800 Euro.

Basicly an ETA/Unitas 6498 movement the Sinn modifications made it a SZ 04. Diameter is about 44mm, the case shows a satin finish, the top is polished.

Mühle Nautische Instrumente

The "Quadrant" showed up at Basel.

Another "Quadrant": chrono by Louis Erard

Couldn´t get more information on the fair; Mühle was not focussed on answering to much questions of private costumers. "Business first" seemed to be their priority.

LACO

Call it a "big bang". Laco presented a B-watch in the original size of 55mm.

For more information please read the separate Laco thread here on the German Watches Forum.

Stowa

Jörg Schauer presented the very first pieces of the Stowa Prodiver, when I entered the showroom at 3rd floor of the Ramda Hotel one of the Prodiver watches was "swimming" in a "goldfish pool".

Small talk

Here are some pics taken on the "Schauer-Five-o`clock-tea":

Bill Yao - "Entourage" of Greg Bottle (Greg was looking for some beer) - Ernie´s wife - Ernie Romers.

"Meeting" of the Pink (Seatime & Prodiver)

Kudos to Greg Bottle for his overall excellent design work.

Final remarks

I visited some other and non german brands too. Pics will be posted on the Public Forum.

Re: Basel 2006 Report

Thanks Mike! More reports please!

Thanks for the report. Limes is coming out with some wonderful looking cases. I like the look of the new model coming from Limes. I really like the GO Flieger. I might have to save up for that. Interesting model from Muehle. I wonder when they will release the Quadrant. I did handle the Louis Erard Caree Chronograph and other watches in different lines and was impressed by their cases. They have been like Limes over the years, in that they have been doing cases and re-assembling watches for other companies and decided to come out with their own line of watches.

Thank you again for the good stuff.
    ToddH

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great report and pics Mike!
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by thodgins
    Thanks for the report. Limes is coming out with some wonderful looking cases. I like the look of the new model coming from Limes. I really like the GO Flieger. I might have to save up for that. Interesting model from Muehle. I wonder when they will release the Quadrant. I did handle the Louis Erard Caree Chronograph and other watches in different lines and was impressed by their cases. They have been like Limes over the years, in that they have been doing cases and re-assembling watches for other companies and decided to come out with their own line of watches.

Thank you again for the good stuff.
    :thanks

Just to add that, a Limes Caree case will be launched soon. I already saw that model but I (or my camera) spoiled the pics. For the first launch it´ll be a three hand watch with date indication. A chrono seems to be thinkable

Both Muehle and Limes will be bringing out a square/caree watch. Interesting move on both parts. I know Limes as a Tonneau shaped watch. It does add variety to both brands.

Was the Limes Caree a good-looking watch?
    ToddH

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." Albert Einstein

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by thodgins
    Was the Limes Caree a good-looking watch?

Well, I think it will not do any harm to Limes but the pre-models I saw have been exhibited without any crystal but Limes wanted to show the new watch line at Basel. .... happens some time. So I can´t judge a whole watch but what I´ve seen was quite satisfying.

thank you for the Reoprt Mike
    regards

Andreas

Will have to wait and see what they post on the website down the road.
    ToddH

thanks for the report and pictures Mike!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information