HOW TO BUY A SEIKO 6139-600x CHRONOGRAPH - A Collector's Buying Guide - Page 2
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: HOW TO BUY A SEIKO 6139-600x CHRONOGRAPH - A Collector's Buying Guide

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Re: HOW TO BUY A SEIKO 6139-600x CHRONOGRAPH - A Collector's Buying Guide

Quote Originally Posted by lionur View Post
    I read all these posts several times.

They are very helpful in trying to determine if a watch is original.
    But my problem is that i cannot decide if the crown on this watch is original or aftermarket:

http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...t_10574wt_1165

Will some of you connoisseur please have a brief glimps at this watch and help me determine what it is.
    I guess aftermarket,
    but the seller claims that it is original:oops:.

The crown on the following watch is (i think) original.

The original crowns have a dimple in the middle of them, their thin in width and fit flush to the case. It's usually easy to spot a wrong crown because of how far out it sits out from the case. Wrong and after market crowns are typically thick in width and have more space between the ridges on the crown

http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ht_3580wt_1165
    The crown could be original, but it is definitely not a watch produced in 3/69.

3/69 production is the first month of production for these watches and only JDM models were produced. The case crown notch (early production feature), may be contrived, as it doesn't look quite right to me. The watch doesn't have the correct movement (should be 6139A 21jewels) day wheel (should be Kanji), dial (should be Proof) or sweep hand (should have silver center) for a watch produced in 3/69.

Re: 6139-600X Variation Review updated info

I read all these posts several times.

They are very helpful in trying to determine if a watch is original.
    But my problem is that i cannot decide if the crown on this watch is original or aftermarket:

http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...t_10574wt_1165

Will some of you connoisseur please have a brief glimps at this watch and help me determine what it is.
    I guess aftermarket,
    but the seller claims that it is original:oops:.

Re: 6139-600X Variation Review updated info

Crown looks right, that is an early 1969 variant

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

thanks Ray.

Greetings board. Please excuse any faux pas as this is my first post.

Cleaning out my drawers. I have an original Seiko 6139 with the older style back, most of the original links - fishbone style. (I thought I had the remaining links, but couldn't find them. But they might still be around.) Also have the original box (I think) and do have the original instruction book! The book rates a 9 1/2 or 10 out of 10.

The watch keeps good time, but doesn't hold its wind. So I assume it needs a good cleaning. Also, the stop watch doesn't work properly. The buttons don't want to do anything when you push them, and they don't like to pop out either.

Only thing I can see wrong is the the tip of the arrow on the internal bezel has lost its tip so it looks more like a small square than an arrow. But it rotates freely and seems perfect. I think I may have taken the back off once, but had the good sense not to touch anything inside. So it should be 100%, 30 year old original.

Not as bright and shinny as brand new, but I would rate it like a 92 to 95 out of 100.

Any idea what this is worth?

Have probably had this for 30 + years. My father bought this for me a long time ago. If I remember correctly he actually bought it either in Japan or most likely Hong Kong.

I'm just wondering. Didn't really want to sell it, although...

THANK YOU for your assistance. This looks like a very nice board.

Best regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Isthmus View Post
    The Original version of this post was posted by Ty Maitland to SCWF and is stored in their database here:

http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/index...&id=1140376570
    Hi, my name is Carlo and I'm Italian.

First of all, very sorry for my english. I think my writting it's not so good and clear.

Unfortuntely I've read the post about Seiko 6139 just after 1 week I've bought 6139 you can find here

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

After reading the post I can suppose my watch is completely fake! The bracelet is not original, probably the dial and also the bezel are not original.

What do you think?

Where is possible to find a good 6139? In e-bay I think the majorithy are not original....

Many thanks

Carletto

I've really appreciated this guide - it was helpful. Rather than buy a Phillipines special, I waited to find one in the country, hopefully from an estate, and I found one! $100 total, free shipping. It was from an estate, looked to be totally original. SN# 462758, June of '74. Case in original polish, bezel unworn, 70's tropical strap, broken. I'd know more when it came in, but I had a good feel about it.

It came just in time for us to head out to do errands, so I had to tear myself away from a newly-opened box. Wasn't packed that well, but whatever. It got here.

INITIAL REPORT:

Both buttons stuck when pushed but functions worked, inner bezel didn't turn, day wheel misaligned. Crystal heavily scratched, but watch externally in pretty OK condition. Never polished - it looked dead stock. Tropical band clearly had been on the watch forever - rubber was stiff and polished looking - old.

OPEN 'ER UP!

Did a quick external cleaning to get out any grot I could. Reinforced the initial impression of originality and a short, hard working life. Someone wore this pretty much every day, without much thought or care until the strap broke, then they put it away. The best new so far? Not a bit of corrosion, anywhere. Nothing. No moisture ever got into this watch.

Spun the back off, and was greeted with a very very clean-looking movement (to the naked eye - with a loupe it wasn't quite so clean subjectsmiley03!), with a balance wheel happily spinning away. Everything looked a little loose. No jeweler's marks inside the case back. Pulled the stem, pushed in the pushers and pulled the retaining ring, pushers popped out. Flipped it over onto my palm, and immediately noticed that the face was loose. Everything was loose. I did a quick tighten up, and in checking found that pretty much every screw I could reach was loose, at least a bit. The face retaining screws were three-four turns out of tight! There are a few weird things - the back seal looks home-made, and the stem is missing it's spring and the gear for the bezel. Thankfully the bezel teeth are in perfect shape - no wear at all. Back to the stem: It sort of works, but that's all. It will actuate the day/date, but not all the time. Date every time, day only now and then. Beyond that, I'm certain that the entire watch needs to be completely cleaned and to get everything checked.

Face is shiny and bright, hands look good. There are a few specks on the face that I couldn't get to move with a light brush, so I left them. If they aren't going to move with light action, they won't move in daily wear. Movement kept rolling the entire time I was

I threw on a vintage Baldwin stainless steel band to replace the old rubber tropic for now - I'm going to get the correct H-type ASAP, but first I sent Jonathan (Swedefreak) a list of the parts I'd know I'd need immediately; stem parts, seals, crystal.

CONCLUSION:

This is a one-owner watch that was a daily wearer for the majority of its working life. Towards the end of that working life it had some jack-assery done to it in the form of incorrect seals and lost parts off of the stem (bezel gear and spring). It was probably never really serviced (no jeweler's marks inside, remember?) and everything loosened up and bound up to the point that when the tropical band finally broke, it was probably a blessing as this prevented any further loosening or wear to occur. I'm glad I got it when I did!

Now to find a tech who can give this thing a run-through! Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Spencer PK; April 18th, 2010 at 18:31.

Zed

Fantastic information guys!

I am after an original replacement stem for my 6139 pepsi. Anyone know where i can source one? I have been told to keep away from the SE Asian ones as they have no spring on the stem...anyone is there is truth to this or what to consequences are?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Isthmus View Post
    The Original version of this post was posted by Ty Maitland to SCWF and is stored in their database here:

SCWF Mirror : What to look for when buying a 6139-600x >>>>> (Ty, 2006-02-19, message 1140376570)
    The HANDS

All the 6139-600x's came with a RED hands except for the 6139-6030/6032 which came with ORANGE hands. Other models do have other colors. Black, yellow and white

Seiko Service Centers would repalce the hands on a watch when it came in for service. I own an original that was given to me by my father on his return from Vietnam thru Japan. The watch has been sent to Seiko Factory Service Centers twice. It originally had RED second hands but when it came back the first time it had ORANGE, the 2nd time it was serviced they replaced the ORANGE hands with Yellow.

Can anyone elaborate on the aftermarket replacement crystals that have been popping up recently for the 6139 pepsi? I have an all original that my dad purchased in 71. The crystal is toast on it. On a whim, I purchased one of the "NOS" mineral crystals that Sophon is advertising on e-bay. I thought it was worth the shot. From what I've read, these crystals are near impossible to find original. Has anyone had any experience with the aftermarket variant?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information