HOW TO BUY A SEIKO 6139-600x CHRONOGRAPH - A Collector's Buying Guide - Page 5
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: HOW TO BUY A SEIKO 6139-600x CHRONOGRAPH - A Collector's Buying Guide

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Re: HOW TO BUY A SEIKO 6139-600x CHRONOGRAPH - A Collector's Buying Guide

1973, 6139-6002 Resist that has on the dial at 4:30 the designation “-6030R”, English/Arabic day wheel, all functions work properly, replacement bracelet, otherwise seems to be an original survivor sent to me from a seller in Germany.

My curiosity is about the 6030R and what it signifies.

fish70 likes this.

HOW TO BUY A SEIKO 6139-600x CHRONOGRAPH - A Collector's Buying Guide

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    1973, 6139-6002 Resist that has on the dial at 4:30 the designation “-6030R”, English/Arabic day wheel, all functions work properly, replacement bracelet, otherwise seems to be an original survivor sent to me from a seller in Germany.

My curiosity is about the 6030R and what it signifies.

Hate to break it to you but I’m 99% sure the dial, indicator ring and all four hands are aftermarket.
    cpl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ffnc1020 View Post
    Hate to break it to you but I’m 99% sure the dial, indicator ring and all four hands are aftermarket.
    Ok, I can live with that.

What are the “tells”?

And what does the “-6030R” on the dial indicate?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Dbl

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    Ok, I can live with that.

What are the “tells”?

And what does the “-6030R” on the dial indicate?
    The original lume triangle on the indicator ring is usually lumpy and not as sharp as this. The original dial subregistor doesn't have the ring pattern, and the markings should reach the very edge of the subdial. The lume on the hour marking are usually very blooby and not as flat. The day window is vertically brushed and date window is polished on the original. The secondhand and minute chrono hand should be a darker chrimson red. The minute and hour hands are hard to tell actually. Also I noticed the pushers are probablly aftermarket because the original pushers are beveled around the top. The two flat surface on the lugs should be polished so the case is most definitly refinished. These are what I spotted so far.

6030R is just a dial code I think. There's also 6030T which I believe just has minor printing differences.

There's no problem with it as long as you enjoy it. It's just there are more and more sellers trying to pass aftermarket part as original. Hope you get a fair deal with this piece.

The original lume triangle on the indicator ring is usually lumpy and not as sharp as this. The original dial subregistor doesn't have the ring pattern, and the markings should reach the very edge of the subdial. The lume on the hour marking are usually very blooby and not as flat. The day window is vertically brushed and date window is polished on the original. The secondhand and minute chrono hand should be a darker chrimson red. The minute and hour hands are hard to tell actually. Also I noticed the pushers are probablly aftermarket because the original pushers are beveled around the top. The two flat surface on the lugs should be polished so the case is most definitly refinished. These are what I spotted so far.

6030R is just a dial code I think. There's also 6030T which I believe just has minor printing differences.

There's no problem with it as long as you enjoy it. It's just there are more and more sellers trying to pass aftermarket part as original. Hope you get a fair deal with this piece.
    This is really enlightening. Thank you for the detailed descriptions.

Yankee - the watch is still a looker! Congratulations
    yankeexpress likes this.
    Current Collection: Vulcain 70's day/date automatic | Hamilton 70's handwind | Seiko SKX009J | Seiko SBDC029 | Seiko SARB017 | Citizen NY0040 | Wenger 096.0659 quartz | Wenger TerraGraph auto | Boldr Venture | Eddie Bauer (Timex) v8vo51 | Sturmanskie 3133/1981260 | ​Okeah 3133 | Pulsar Chrono. | Casio Edifice EQWM1100DC-1A2 | Casio AD-520 | Casio GWX5600 | Pulsar field quartz | Heuer Trackmaster 8032

Thanks for the enlightenment. Seems as some of the replacement parts are actually better than the originals....less bloby and sharper edges, etc. Since the dial has the Suwa mark, I thought it might be original with restored indices.

Prolly paid a little too much, but not outrageously so and I like that it works as intended, keeps accurate time and looks decent. It has been serviced (no small thing at 45 years old) and I can wear it without worrying about it much, though I will not go near water with it.

Seller did not make any false claims about it.....made no mention of originality (excepting the aftermarket bracelet). I will consider it “restored with aftermarket parts” and enjoy it for what it is, a nice old restored Pogue.

Last edited by yankeexpress; July 28th, 2018 at 02:30.
    ffnc1020 likes this.

Hi everyone, it's my first post (and my first SEIKO) so please bear with me.

Just received my 6139-0000, bought after some reserach on the interesting history of the model and on how to spot fakes (I take advantage to thanks this forum/post members).

It should be (to my unexpert eyes) a nice JDM from may 1970 and it works quite fine (just arrived so I'm still have to know it better though)

I especially like the notched case and the 70m proof dial. Dial chips are a pity, but I knew it before buying.

What I'm not quite sure about are the hands, the buttons and the bracelet, any thought?
    More in general, do you see anything else I can't spot?

Name:  IMG_20180821_174328_246.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  2.42 MB
    Name:  IMG_20180821_174421_975.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  2.11 MB
    Name:  IMG_20180821_174434_796.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  1.12 MB
    Name:  IMG_20180821_174455_908.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  2.23 MB
    Name:  IMG_20180821_174517_603.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  2.09 MB

Looking forward to your comments!

p.s.
    any chance you can recommend me some online shop where to buy NOS parts, the dial in particular? none on ebay...

The sub dial red hand is tear drop in shape i believe so that is a replacement straight hand you have there.
    Davosa,Omega speedy reduced, Seiko(6) ,Orient (3),Citizen (3) GShocks(8), Pebble Time smartwatches (2) are my poison on a Skinny 5 and 3/4 inch wrist

To see the factory symbol you will have to move the hands. The symbol is covered by the red large seconds hand so set the chrono going and stop it.
    Davosa,Omega speedy reduced, Seiko(6) ,Orient (3),Citizen (3) GShocks(8), Pebble Time smartwatches (2) are my poison on a Skinny 5 and 3/4 inch wrist

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information