HOW TO BUY A SEIKO 6139-600x CHRONOGRAPH - A Collector's Buying Guide - Page 6
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: HOW TO BUY A SEIKO 6139-600x CHRONOGRAPH - A Collector's Buying Guide

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    To see the factory symbol you will have to move the hands. The symbol is covered by the red large seconds hand so set the chrono going and stop it.
    The logo is there (sorry for the bad quality picture).

I guess there's no way to restore the dial chips, right?

And the picture...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: HOW TO BUY A SEIKO 6139-600x CHRONOGRAPH - A Collector's Buying Guide

I dont know about the dial chips but i would of guessed it would be unlikely.
    Last edited by trott3r; August 25th, 2018 at 22:53.
    Davosa,Omega speedy reduced, Seiko(6) ,Orient (3),Citizen (3) GShocks(8), Pebble Time smartwatches (2) are my poison on a Skinny 5 and 3/4 inch wrist

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Dear All,

In the last two years allowing myself a little luxury I have purchased three watches . An Orient Blue Ray from new. A spectacular diver with a sunburst blue dial. A Seiko Alpinist ( second owner) It just makes me smile. And now a Seiko 6139 6002 May 1975 "Pogue".

I did my research.

The pictures that follow are why I believe I got a good un .

If I am wrong it is still a beautiful piece to me but others might like to know where I got it wrong.

Reason 1. Sharp edges top and sides.No signes of being polished/ground down. Hints of circular brushing/Matt on the top face and polished sides.

Name:  sharpedge.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  1.68 MBName:  sharpedge2.jpg
Size:  1.44 MB

Reason 2 Dial and Lume. Not splodgy rectangular and even .
    Name:  lume.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  2.21 MB

Reason 3. Subdial . The is no gap between the edge of the sundial and the circular cut out on the main dial.
    Name:  subdial.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  1.78 MB

Reason 4. Watch hands the minute and hour hands are just about tapered and indeed you can see a ridge lengthwise . The subdial is a teardrop and the second hand tapered.

Name:  fullpic.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  2.09 MBName:  wholewatch.jpg
Size:  2.05 MB

Reason 4 Provenance . The seller did not have a history of selling similar watches. He sold vintage and domestic watches stock no more than 20 watches at a time. Many of his older watches were spares or repairs leading me to think he does not restore watches though this watch was sold with a new glass face.

Reason 5. The strap looks like a real deal variant of the time. The Back is appropriate .Name:  back.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  2.14 MB

Reason six. The main winder has a dimple.

So there you have it. With this watch you are buying a lovely sunburst yellow/honey dial and a timer and some history.

I have the first two.

I do wonder about should the face and bezel be more worn. But then I look at it and even the yellow inner bezel has not faded that much. So it was worn rarely by a lady vicar who kept it in a draw mostly. YES I got a result!

Best to all on the thread

Richardb22
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rusty427 likes this.

HOW TO BUY A SEIKO 6139-600x CHRONOGRAPH - A Collector's Buying Guide

Great thread
    Any recommended watchmaker for service in Aus?

Cheers
    Last edited by Rusty427; September 5th, 2018 at 09:37.

richardb22: i believe theoriginal bracelet is h shaped rather your jubilee like type.
    Davosa,Omega speedy reduced, Seiko(6) ,Orient (3),Citizen (3) GShocks(8), Pebble Time smartwatches (2) are my poison on a Skinny 5 and 3/4 inch wrist

Appreciate your reply. I got my info from many places including the springbar collectors guide ( can't post a link but google will bring it up). The third picture looks like my bracelet

THE 6139 BRACELET

There are four known variations for the bracelets of the 6139-600X series. The first one being the H-link bracelet with straight ends, which was used on the 6139-600X series from its introduction until 1973. After this period, the H-link bracelet with tapered ends were used until the end of production. Another variation is what is commonly termed as the Stelux bracelet. It is unsure when this particular type was used, but is usually seen combined with the silver dial. The last variation is those seen for the versions intended for the Japanese market, or what is commonly referred to as “JDM bracelets”. This variation was used for the JDM models all throughout

So mine is a 1975 and looks like the Stelux which conceivably works?

I admit I could be wrong on every point but no one can say he did not do his research. I did to the best of my understanding.

Many years ago I read an essay by Umberto Ecco called faith in fakes ( author of a lot of stuff and films too ) . Why is the THE Mona Lisa worth more than a perfect copy?

My answer . It connects me with the past in my mind.

Wore the watch again today. It's certainly getting wrist time.

In the next six months I am going to buy another seiko. A bellmatic. An actual bell on your wrist. Brilliant.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by richardb22 View Post
    Appreciate your reply. I got my info from many places including the springbar collectors guide ( can't post a link but google will bring it up). The third picture looks like my bracelet

THE 6139 BRACELET

There are four known variations for the bracelets of the 6139-600X series. The first one being the H-link bracelet with straight ends, which was used on the 6139-600X series from its introduction until 1973. After this period, the H-link bracelet with tapered ends were used until the end of production. Another variation is what is commonly termed as the Stelux bracelet. It is unsure when this particular type was used, but is usually seen combined with the silver dial. The last variation is those seen for the versions intended for the Japanese market, or what is commonly referred to as “JDM bracelets”. This variation was used for the JDM models all throughout

So mine is a 1975 and looks like the Stelux which conceivably works?

I admit I could be wrong on every point but no one can say he did not do his research. I did to the best of my understanding.

Many years ago I read an essay by Umberto Ecco called faith in fakes ( author of a lot of stuff and films too ) . Why is the THE Mona Lisa worth more than a perfect copy?

My answer . It connects me with the past in my mind.

Wore the watch again today. It's certainly getting wrist time.

In the next six months I am going to buy another seiko. A bellmatic. An actual bell on your wrist. Brilliant.

Richard
    I am no expert so thanks for the extra information.
    Reading the springbar article now.

Mine is a 1975 pogue like ( no 70m water resist) and has the tapered h link bracelet.
    It is however off ebay so who knows how original the parts are but looks good to me from a bit of googling.

I am intrigued by the bellmatic and also the weekedater.
    Pesky vintage seikos there are too many nice looking ones about. :)

Boo my sub dial indices don't hit the edge of the dial. Does this indicate after market as per springbar guide above?

Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    Boo my sub dial indices don't hit the edge of the dial. Does this indicate after market as per springbar guide above?
    I would like you to imagine a scenario . Your May 1975 pogue was owned by a dashing special services operative who in 1976 was into racing Yacuza gangsters up Mount Fuji in an e type jag.

On the final race neck and neck on the final 50m the Jag finds a horsepower of extra torque and finishes first but not before the tretcheros gangster has slammed him into tree.

Our hero exits the Jag and finds that his Seiko Pogue has taken the impact and saved his wrist. Its dial is smashed ( he had his arm dangling out the window at the time smoking a well known brand of 1975 cigarettes).

The next day he takes it to be repaired with an aftermarket dial which is a few months older than the watch itself. So the after market dial is 48 years old !. What a watch ?

Or maybe that did not happen and its an afterdial made last year and fitted by a teenager in somewhere.

Oh to get to the point. I am not an expert and have only seen the one I brought. I have never opened one up. I read a lot.

I have tried in my purchase to buy a watch I had faith in. I had a lot of fun ( pain sometimes ) in agonising over watches I saw on ebay. Missed some , in retrospect good ones. They all looked good ( except the clearly 48 years old ones authentic but not wearable ). A leap of faith. For the reasons above I think its original apart from new glass and that was a criteria for me.

Would I wear a fake ? No.

Would I wear a watch that has been worn as watch should be and has repairs . Yes . Would I prefer one that had not. Yes.

I can't answer your question. These watches are old .

A final thought. If I were to give my "pogue " to my son ( 5 years old ) by the time he wears it it will be 70+ years old. If its still all original by then I wont have worn it much.

It's yours now. Wear it . If you don't wear it its pointless so sell it and someone else will wear or not.

Richard
    Last edited by richardb22; September 5th, 2018 at 01:21.
    trott3r likes this.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast