HOW TO BUY A SEIKO 6139-600x CHRONOGRAPH - A Collector's Buying Guide - Page 7
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: HOW TO BUY A SEIKO 6139-600x CHRONOGRAPH - A Collector's Buying Guide

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Re: HOW TO BUY A SEIKO 6139-600x CHRONOGRAPH - A Collector's Buying Guide

Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    I
    I am intrigued by the bellmatic and also the weekedater.
    Pesky vintage seikos there are too many nice looking ones about. :)
    Weekedater ! I had never seen that model before you referred to it. I think its right to refer to it as a dress watch . Some of the pics with the day and date at 3pm and 6pm are pretty cool.

And the best thing about vintage seiko is that its affordable to a "blue" or "white" collar guy .

Richard
    trott3r likes this.

I am intrigued by the bellmatic and also the weekedater.
    Pesky vintage seikos there are too many nice looking ones about. :)
    Since we are talking about it, weekdater is cool! Vintage Seiko is definitely a slippery slope.
    trott3r and yankeexpress like this.

Quote Originally Posted by richardb22 View Post
    I would like you to imagine a scenario . Your May 1975 pogue was owned by a dashing special services operative who in 1976 was into racing Yacuza gangsters up Mount Fuji in an e type jag.

On the final race neck and neck on the final 50m the Jag finds a horsepower of extra torque and finishes first but not before the tretcheros gangster has slammed him into tree.

snip

It's yours now. Wear it . If you don't wear it its pointless so sell it and someone else will wear or not.

Richard
    If i sell it on ebay i will include that story to bump up the price ;)

thanks for the amusement.
    Davosa,Omega speedy reduced, Seiko(6) ,Orient (3),Citizen (3) GShocks(8), Pebble Time smartwatches (2) are my poison on a Skinny 5 and 3/4 inch wrist

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi, I've been a longtime fan of the 6139 since dad gave me his beautiful blue 6139-6012 when I was a little kid (I've since lost it and am in the process of tearing apart everything I own to try and get it back). I'm looking at buying a couple of these now just because I absolutely love them. There are a couple for sale now and I'd love an expert opinion on it.
    Name:  s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views: 216
Size:  287.3 KB
    First the above watch (same as Dad's but gold)
    And below another one I like. My question is simply, do they look "right" to you? I've seen the gold one, but it was ALL gold, not silver with gold buttons.
    Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  163.3 KB
    longstride likes this.

Dear Dr Pete,

I am no expert. My previous ( very few as I am very new to this forum ) simply set out the process I used to choose and buy my watch.

So using that process the first watch you are looking at silver case gold pushers does not look like anything in the Seiko catalogues at the beginning of this thread. So you have to assume its been modified or contains bits from other similar watches.

If aesthetically it floats your boat.....up to you.

The Second. Well according to the process ( from one picture ) the case from a top view has sharp lines so has not been filed/polished/messed with. Are the pics from other angles the same ? If so its a lovely sharp case it will look sharp on your wrist. The subdial markers are chunky not anemic. The red hands are red and the small one tear shaped. I can't really comment on the lume. Provenace? A teenager in the Filipeens or a retired baptist minister ( and on the internet can you really tell ) .

For me the newly discovered joy of vintage seiko is that if I get it badly wrong I have wasted 2/3/400 ( never more except ) USD GBP EURO. So far in my three ( 3 ) yes three only purchases of vintage seiko I am happy with my purchases. I will always listen and respect someone who knows more than me but thus far the method which I went through in an earlier post which is research research and more research then compare that with the characteristics of my potential purchase works for me.

ps sometimes things are so shiny and nice ( a blue "pogue" with a white inner dial which means it should be much earlier than 1975 that the case says ) fail all the tests and I want it anyway .

Happy days

Richard
    Last edited by richardb22; September 14th, 2018 at 23:36.

Re: 6139-600X Variation Review

Brilliant thread.

My contribution. A catalogue with one "pogue" and some cousins.

And the magic nine from the springbar website
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by richardb22; September 16th, 2018 at 23:16.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. I missed the Gold one but I still have a chance at getting the Pogue. I was just concerned because it only says "Automatic" not "Chronograph Automatic) on the face.
    Peter

How does this watch look:

From my research, everything seems to be original. The one concern is the hand on the subdial. Does the color difference indicate a replacement hand, or is it possible the hand has just faded in color?

cant see it fading on its own with the central big seconds hand not doing so.

One of them is after market.
    Davosa,Omega speedy reduced, Seiko(6) ,Orient (3),Citizen (3) GShocks(8), Pebble Time smartwatches (2) are my poison on a Skinny 5 and 3/4 inch wrist

cant see it fading on its own with the central big seconds hand not doing so.

One of them is after market.
    Ok thanks. How does the movement look? Original?

Instagram: @rych_watches

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information