WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

LACO Pilot Baumuster B Special Edition (Forum Project Wach) - Discussion

345K views 1K replies 62 participants last post by  MAXUS 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,

Mike and I met with Mr. Pfeiffer last weekend and Laco is willing to produce a limited edition Type "B" flieger watch for us:

+ sand blasted 42mm stainless steel case, height 13mm
+ engraved "limited edition" back
+ standard hw movement with center second (not hacking !)
+ Hand wound ETA 2801 or another movement TBD
+ free-of-inscription-no-date-dial, type: Baumuster B
+ similar to Laco's current model Ref. 861465 but without date or logo
+ an onion crown similar to Ref. 861465
+ a domed sapphire crystal
+ Laco LE limited to 50 (based on demand fewer watches are possible)
+ Price for LE estimated between 500-600 Euros

(pic from Laco website)

Please provide your feedback and also indicate if you are interested. If you are shy to post but interested in the watch, please email me bhanu@cox.net. I will contact Mr. Pfeiffer with an estimated headcount and any suggestions we agree upon.

I am very excited to be part of the Type "B" Laco Flieger LE :-!

Cheers,
Bhanu
<For the latest status of the Laco project, please refer to the "Laco project overview" thread>

See less See more
G
#5 ·
Re: LACO Pilot Update

Can they do it for around Euro 380-450? Given the Euro's strength, 500-600 is almost US$960 at the upper end plus shipping charges.

I would be interested if the price is a little lower given there are still compromises with this hommage.
The simple answer is: NO.

Given that they will get ETA 2801 movements to mount them into a 42mm case they will need a spacer which probably has to be done by hand in very little numbers (we are talking about 25-50 watches, right ?!).
Look at the regular prices, a limited run can´t be cheaper. The Laco Flieger with ETA 2824-2 is from 490 to 579 Euro. The Flieger Unitas is 690 Euro.

The Aristo Flieger with ETA 2801 is 495 Euro in a 44mm case. Customizing that watch would also be some +.

We have to get familiar with 500 to 600 for a customized Laco.

#6 ·

Good work, Hotnerd! Count me in!

#7 ·

I forgot: The suggested specks sound fine. Only one thing I am not sure about: I checked out Laco's site. The onion shaped crown they use today is of a totally wrong shape. Maybe they could change that? If they can't, I will accept it, (but prefer a more authentic crown).

#9 ·

I would think they can. The Laco Pilot 42 mm Quarts I believe has a solid back. I hope the watch comes with 2 backs, solid and display. I am happy to pay the extra cost.

#13 ·

i would be interested but not sure about the type b dial.. prefer the dial like the stowa FO

cheers

#18 ·

I do not understand the hacking / non hacking movement talk. Does it really matter that much for you guys? The Original B-uhr had/has a non hacking movement! For me, replicating the outside design is much more important! Like the shape of the crown...You know, if we cannot agree on a design in sufficient numbers, Laco will probably not be interested (to make 15-20 watches)!

#25 · (Edited)

I do not understand the hacking / non hacking movement talk. Does it really matter that much for you guys? The Original B-uhr had/has a non hacking movement!
The original B-Uhr had a hacking mpvement. Being a navigation watch, exact time measurement was of the utmost importance, hence a hacking feature was required by the RLM in its spec. The pocket-watch movements used were specifically modified to provide the hacking mechanism. It's part of the very essence of this watch.

Therefore, for me: no hack, no go.

Edit: sorry Todd, saw your reply too late. The forum glitches due to the hacker attack are still wreaking havoc for me ...

G
#27 ·

Dear Bhanu

Atho I preferred someother manual wind movement instead of ETA 2801. Reason is I have the Fortis Flieger Cockpit LE of 950 pcs.

Please count me in for this LACO.

Regards
TA
Name a manual wind movement with center second which does not need any price increasing modification (like the Unitas 6497, 6498, Peseux 7001 would) and will fit into the price limit.

#21 ·

The response has been very positive including the emails I have received. So far 20 of us have shown interest in the Laco LE.

One clarification, it will be a solid caseback with LE engraving

I will go back to Mr. Pfeiffer with the following suggestions and provide you with his response:

- Clear choices and availability for the movement
- onion crown
- Estimated time

Cheers,
Bhanu

#28 ·

The original movents found in the B-Uhr did have a stop/hack seconds.
Sorry all :oops:! I had to check on my own Laco 55mm. It sure has a hacking movement! I stupidly forgot, a sure sign of getting old!o|

#33 ·

I received communication back from Laco this morning:

As I told you, it's not easy to find a manual winding movement with centre second.
But we figgured out the possibility to modify the ETA 2824 automatic into a manual
winding movement. What do you think about that?

Case 42mm with non-reflecting sapphire crystal is possible

Solid case back with engravement (your design) is possible

Screwed onion crown is possible

B-dial without date and logo is possible

All we need is a payment in advance (250-300 Euros) to start this project.
We need to buy parts for the movement modification and
for new dials.

I have sent an email back to Mr. Pfeiffer requesting direct ordering process, timeline for shipping as well as a mock up picture(s).

What do you think?

Cheers,
Bhanu

#34 ·

Stripping the 2824 is an excellent idea ... it hacks, and it is basically a 2801 with an autowinder added (the 2892 is an integrated construction, by contrast, hence it is flatter).

I may be interested after all. :)

#36 ·

Super, Bhanu! Even better than before!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.