LACO Pilot Watch Baumuster B -Have your say! (Archive)

Thread: LACO Pilot Watch Baumuster B -Have your say! (Archive)

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

LACO Pilot Watch Baumuster B -Have your say! (Archive)

I am new to WUS and pilot watches but could not hold back from posting this.

Based on previous posts on PilMil forum, I am taking the first albeit a small step by configuring say LACO "Pilot Original" project, which many WUS members and others may seriously consider owning.

Design Brief:

Existing parts:
    • 860884 case of 42 mm diameter. Edged the “FL23883” on the opposite side of the crown.
    • Sapphire Crystal currently available as option
    • Original pilot watch leather strap Ref. 792.31 (width 20 mm) for case diameter 42 mm. Existing parts so no new development/investment
    • Exposition back with mineral glass
    • Exiting crown
    New parts:
    • Modified Unitas 6497 with centred-sweep second-hand. Blued-screws, Swan-neck regulator and Screw balance.
    • Type-B Dial-exact scale down from 55 mm Replika. So no logo and no date please.
    • Blued and lumed for Hour and Minute hands
    Option:
    • Scale down onion crown as in 55mm Replika
    One of us (not me for sure, I live in the other side of the world) living near or in Pforzheim could represent the rest of us by paying LACO a visit and persuade them to work on our latent demand.

Before this, can we have a show of hands to estimate the potential demand? LACO could then work on the commericial viability based on the design and chargeable price.

Once the watch design is confirmed and an indicative price range is available from LACO, we can make a decision and commit a deposit of say 50 Euro, if we are into it

Hope LACO listens to Customers

WUS member-have your say please:
    • thodgins
    • Erik H
    • Mescalito
    • kkwpk
    • tfbuyer
    • Frode
    • Mercutio
    • Others
    I would be glad to play a part in making this watch a reality.

Regards
    TA

Watchuseek Journalist Bhanu Chopra's Avatar

Re: LACO Pilot Watch-Have your say!!!!!!!!

Hi TA,

I had proposed this idea last year to Andreas at the Basel fair. He said it was possible as long as we have enough people from the forum for the custom watch.

I had posted here after the 2007 Basel fair but there was not much interest or not many people replied so nothing was done.

If you email Andreas, he will be happy to discuss this.

BTW, count me in

Cheers,
    Bhanu

great idea! i'd love to have this watch, but of course it's also a matter of the price. so if someone contacts LACO it would be good to ask for the estimated price. and maybe we could get a panting of the watch so that everyone can imagine what we're talking about.
    if the handwound movement would be too pricey, what about an alternative with the standard eta-automatic-movement and a solid backcase (but of course i would prefer a handwound movement)? and the engraving of the limited numbers on the back or side of the case might be nice as well...

so let us keep going

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mescalito View Post
    great idea! i'd love to have this watch, but of course it's also a matter of the price. so if someone contacts LACO it would be good to ask for the estimated price. and maybe we could get a panting of the watch so that everyone can imagine what we're talking about.
    if the handwound movement would be too pricey, what about an alternative with the standard eta-automatic-movement and a solid backcase (but of course i would prefer a handwound movement)? and the engraving of the limited numbers on the back or side of the case might be nice as well...

so let us keep going
    Well, have a look at the Stowa FO as a price example. 1200 to 1400 Euro imho. The 55mm Laco was 2500 Euro if I remember right.

I think the bottleneck of the project will be the availability of the center-second modified handwound movements.

But there would be a place for a sterile "Baumuster B", no date, sapphire and the excellent Laco case, even with an automatic movement, IMHO.

After all, a 2824 automatic movement is merely a handwound movement with an additional device to keep the mainspring at the optimal tension level.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Well, have a look at the Stowa FO as a price example. 1200 to 1400 Euro imho. The 55mm Laco was 2500 Euro if I remember right.
    then i would suggest to ask for an eta automatic-movement to keep the cost as low as possible. the only things that would have to be changed compared to serial watch is the dial (no logo, no date), the hands (blued and superlume) and the caseback (solid with engravings like b-watches and limited numbers). i think that these things could be realized without too much additional work and without too much additional cost.

stuffler,mike

then i would suggest to ask for an eta automatic-movement to keep the cost as low as possible. the only things that would have to be changed compared to serial watch is the dial (no logo, no date), the hands (blued and superlume) and the caseback (solid with engravings like b-watches and limited numbers). i think that these things could be realized without too much additional work and without too much additional cost.
    Well, an automatic movement would be a deal breaker imho, I'd suggest to try to get a nicely decorated Unitas with center second hand (which is a must).

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Well, an automatic movement would be a deal breaker imho, I'd suggest to try to get a nicely decorated Unitas with center second hand (which is a must).
    of course i would prefer a handwound movement as well, but i'm not sure if i would spend lets say € 100 instead of € 400...
    let's wait for LACO's answer...

Thanks all for the postings. I hope we continue to get more responses from WUS members.

Regards
    TA

stuffler,mike

Well, 1200 to 1400 is a lot I know but with these modifications

Modified Unitas 6497 with centred-sweep second-hand. Blued-screws, Swan-neck regulator and Screw balance.
    Type-B Dial-exact scale down from 55 mm Replika. So no logo and no date please.
    Blued and lumed for Hour and Minute hands
    the price difference is due to labour (modifying from sub-second to center second needs time and time is money, parts (swan neck fine adjustment, screw balance, Universo-hands, type B-dial in small quantity) and a very small volume production.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information