Here is a DJ you don’t see everyday. This is an early Datejust ref 1601 dating from 1965, and what makes it special are the doorstop markers and the alpha hands. You’ve probably noticed that almost all Datejusts have baton hands but for a few years in the late 50s and 60s Rolex also used alpha hands on occasion, and once in a while paired them with doorstop markers. So, if you’re looking for a Datejust that’s looks classic yet is unique, this one is worth considering.
- Rare dial configuration of doorstop markers and alpha hands
- Very clean champagne sunburst dial, especially for a watch that is almost 55 years old
- Beautiful creamy and puffy matching lume on both dial and hands
- Runs strong at + 10 seconds/day (ymmv) and date changes are crisp at around midnight
- Missing lume plot at the 5 marker
- Some scratches on case commensurate with age
- Size: 36mm without crown, 20mm lug width
- Year: 1965
- Caliber: Automatic 1560 movement, non-quickset, service history unknown but keeps good time to + 10 secs/day
- Box/papers: No/No
I’m asking $2850 USD net to me and will include fully insured shipping within CONUS. No trades please.
For more cool watches, IG: https://www.instagram.com/analogcaliber
Video in sunlight: https://imgur.com/PFEA4yC