Vanroy (Wakmann) chronograph, blue reverse panda dial, Valjoux 7733 [Relisted and Updated]

Thread: Vanroy (Wakmann) chronograph, blue reverse panda dial, Valjoux 7733 [Relisted and Updated]

Vanroy (Wakmann) chronograph, blue reverse panda dial, Valjoux 7733 [Relisted and Updated]

For sale is a Vanroy chronograph with a Valjoux 7733 movement, manufactured by Wakmann Watch Co. Although I haven’t been able to find any information about Vanroy watches, my guess is that this was either a “house brand” for a jewelry store (like Baylor or Helbros) or one of the hundreds of private label brands made by the major Swiss watch manufacturers (Wakmann, Heuer, etc.) on a contract basis during the 1960s. Either way, you are getting a classic chronograph in with a very compact all-stainless case and a striking blue reverse panda dial. The watch also comes with a new RIOS1931 crocodile-pattern leather band in navy blue with contrasting white stitching.

Cosmetic condition:

Dial and front crystal: The dial has a dark blue sun-ray brushed metallic finish, showing some darker speckles of oxidation, especially around the applied silver indices. The sub-seconds and elapsed minute dials are flush with the main surface of the dial. The sub-seconds, elapsed minute and tachymetre markings are crisply printed in black over white. There are dots of lume at each hour and the chromed hour and minute hands are also lumed, but the lume no longer glows.

In the interest of full disclosure, there are some small cosmetic flaws which are not apparent from the pictures:

- There is a small (1mm) dot of repair paint on the main dial just below the 35-second mark of the seconds sub-dial. The color match to the main dial is perfect but the texture isn’t as smooth as the factory paint on the dial.

- There is a small (2mm) flaw in the outside edge of the crystal at the 3 o’clock position. It isn’t a chip or a scratch but an internal flaw in the acrylic.

- There is some slight surface “waviness” in the crystal below the 12 o’clock marker and above the 6 o’clock hour marker. This does not distort the view of the dial when viewing the watch, but can be seen when looking at the watch edge-on.

Case and caseback: The case, caseback, crown and chrono pushers are highly polished stainless steel. There are some very light wear marks overall, while the caseback shows a few light scratches.

Accuracy and mechanical condition: Based on my very unscientific test of setting the time according to the clock in my computer, leaving the watch alone and then checking it a couple of times a day until it stopped running, this watch runs accurately within 10-20 seconds per day, well within the original specifications, and ran over 36 hours on one winding. The watch winds easily, the time is easy to set, and the chronograph mechanism starts and stops smoothly with a push of the top button. The chronograph sweep second hand resets exactly to the 12 o’clock position with a push of the bottom button. The elapsed minute hand (in the sub-dial on the right) does not always reset to zero on the first push of the bottom button - sometimes the chronograph mechanism has to be re-started, stopped and reset. If you don’t plan on using the chronograph function, this will not affect your use of the watch otherwise.

I’m asking $550 USD for this striking watch, which includes shipping to CONUS and PayPal fees. PayPal payments only, please. You can check my 100% feedback score on eBay - the.growler on eBay - and in f63 of this site.

Thanks for looking.

Specifications:

- Movement: Valjoux 7733

- Case diameter (excluding crown): 37mm

- Case diameter (including crown): 41mm

- Lug to lug length: 43mm

- Lug width: 18mm

- Thickness: 11.5mm

- Crystal: Acrylic

On to the pictures!

"Simplicate and add lightness" - Colin Chapman

Re: Vanroy (Wakmann) chronograph, blue reverse panda dial, Valjoux 7733 [Relisted and Updated]

SOLD!
    "Simplicate and add lightness" - Colin Chapman

Thread Information