Casio digital watches were James Bond watches that they never were
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Chascomm

Thread: Casio digital watches were James Bond watches that they never were

It's not a review thread but more of a personal opinion. While James Bond watches were Seikos and luxury watches with CGI, Casio made tech that was considered CGI at that time. Take a look at the Data Bank watches. They alone triumph over the James Bond watches used in the films. You can record your voice, dial a phone number, store secret data, have world time with UTC offset and can set your watch according to the atomic clock. Then you have ProTreks and G-Shocks which have sensors that tell you direction, temperature, pressure and height. Then you have watches which can communicate amongst each other using infrared beams. Watches that uses infrared beams to measure temperature etc. All in all, there is so much sci-fi tech in real life that made me think that Casio watches, especially digital ones were James Bond watches that they never were.

Good point. They pack a ton of tech into something that does not need internet and that is easy to use! Think it comes down to marketing and the “classy” aspect of the luxury watches.

The James Bond in the books was a very practical man.
    He didn't choose his watches based on the tech.

One of the primary features he looked for was weight and heft, and a stretchy bracelet so he could easily slide the watch down his wrist over his knuckles to use as a knuckleduster in a fight...

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post
    ^^ tells the truth on Internet forums
    SOoO many watches, SOoO little time...
    Last edited by Black5; 5 Days Ago at 04:05.
    So many watches, so little time...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Casio digital watches were James Bond watches that they never were

I wish that MGM and Universal Pictures made an effort to use digital Casio watches in James Bond movies. They used Seiko instead.

The Great John Holmes wears a digital watch.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

By my recollection, 'CGI' wasn't invented back then.
    Black5 likes this.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

At the time of movies Seiko was producing quite exciting digital watches. Some Casio models like touchscreen calculator for sure were on par with Seiko but i doubt Casio had significant technological superiority to Seiko. Not to mention brand recognition it has today was not the case around 1980.
    none of the watches at the time had lasers, digital tracking and other "00X gadgets" .
    Anyway all these are product placements paid by companies. So it was Seiko choice to put their watches on screen and Casio did not choose this route.
    My name is Bond,James Bond and i have timer and alarm and stopwatch in my watch and i will use calculator in case of emergency... Yeah baby!!!
    In case all fails i have old watch with rotating bezel .. killer move click click...
    It should be special!

An ABC Casio is a cool watch and it would be a nostalgic nod to some of Bond'sprevious outings, those watches don't look great in a tux. That being said, I wouldn't be against Bond strapping on a G-shock before saving the world.

Quote Originally Posted by ICUdude View Post
    An ABC Casio is a cool watch and it would be a nostalgic nod to some of Bond'sprevious outings, those watches don't look great in a tux. That being said, I wouldn't be against Bond strapping on a G-shock before saving the world.
    Or strapping on a simple Bertucci military watch.

The Great John Holmes wears a digital watch.

Thread Information