Casio Pro-Trek vs Suunto Core
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Casio Pro-Trek vs Suunto Core

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I was looking at getting a Suunto Core Black but then saw that the Pro Trek watches were getting better reviews. Am I better off with a Pro Trek? I do ike the look of the Suunto but if it isn't as reliable as a Casio then might as well get the Pro Trek. Anyone have any input?

Re: Casio Pro-Trek vs Suunto Core

I don't have a Suunto Core but I do have several Protreks and the Suunto Ambit 3. The Ambit is a super watch. very comfortable, lots of functions and the battery charge holds up a long time. I have an old Protrek thats been super reliable and have been on many adventures with me.
    I've changed out the strap on it but the watch itself still looks brand new. I was evaluating the Core vs the Ambit and am very happy with that choice. For the little bit of extra cost it was question that the Ambit would win vs the Core. The I like the menu system of the Ambit vs the Core.
    Personally, I think these are both great brands and you'll be happy with either.

apocalypse, on the table is any suunto of any priceclass and a f91w: give me the 12 € watch! yes, no kidding. qualitywise, casio and suunto arent even in the same universe. handle and inspect a core, compare it to any pro-trek model...*ouch*.

suuntos (vector and core) have their pro´s, too. lightweight, core looks very stylish in negative display, good sensors theoretically, easy battery change, low battery warning, illuminated display while pressing the pushers(!), louder alarm, big and good display in plus celsius, many options like seconds-timer, great looking graph on the core.

hm. depends on what ur preferences are. if its for softer edc use, take a lightweight and stylish suunto core. u know in the end... even a crappy core will last some less years... hopefully... knocking on wood. if it breaks, get a new one. dont forget: negative displays are mostly unuseable in real life.

saving cash tip: have something for the next decades that u can repair urself: get a used pro-trek, sensor v.3 at best. no prw-3000.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Suunto has its good but to me battery is a deal breaker. Best review I’ve seen says up to 12 months, in a day and age where many protreks are solar.

Build quality varies i guess but I’d trust Casio over Suunto any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    Dxnnis and Guarionex like this.

Owned 2 Cores over the years and then upgraded to Ambit 3 (probably the best in the ambit line to date as new ones are gimmicky).

And several Protreks. The positive displays Cores are the best screen and the neg is one of the worst displays ever made on a watch! For strictly ABC, Cores will ALWAYS be more accurate than any Protrek on the market as cores have a lock on altitude/barometer so the readings don't drift easily over time. NONE of the Protreks have this feature to this day. And the past recordings, etc is more in detail on the Core than Protreks.

Put it this way..Suunto designed the Core with mainly ABC in mind..then a watch as second. That being said, Core is seriously outdated by now and Suunto appears to have left the Core's design and moved onto GPS watches.

And Core (especially on leather) is more 'office-friendly' than most digital Protreks. However, I have the newer 6600 which I absolutely love.
    Dxnnis and Rocket1991 like this.
    Current Rotation: || Tag Aquaracer Polar Caliber 5, Casio GW2310, Fenix 5X Sapphire, Apple iWatch 3 ||

singh brought a good point with alti lock, which i forgot. still, this is only useful, when not varying in altitude.

to make it short: barometric pressure measurement in abc-watches is only reliable for a very short time. at worst 30mins, id say. its not for serious use. u need to adjust the barometer/altitude always, u need to know that data by urself. gps is at most off about +-50m in altitude, still its constantly more reliable.

i like using abc-watches to measure the height of buildings or short rises.

Quote Originally Posted by watch-ing View Post
    to make it short: barometric pressure measurement in abc-watches is only reliable for a very short time. at worst 30mins, id say. its not for serious use. u need to adjust the barometer/altitude always, u need to know that data by urself.
    If by "that data" you mean barometric pressure changes due to weather, that depends a lot on where you are. In SoCal we typically have fairly stable baro pressure over the course of the day because we don't have much weather variation in general. If you know how a barometric altimeter is calibrated, and the ambient temperature, you can measure your altitude quite accurately as it changes. Other places have more dynamic weather and barometric pressure changes, so what you say would be true in those cases, the error due to pressure change could add up over time.

If hiking with a topo map I prefer to use an ABC watch over GPS. For driving up/down mountains then GPS is more accurate without any user intervention to periodically re-calibrate.

I have got a Suunto Core Green (which is black). And I have got several Casio’s but no Promaster. I think my Suunto is a lemon. Simply un reliable. Barometric, altitude and compass are all screwed up. I take care of all my watches but this one just happened to be a lemon. I suspect that if it worked as supposed to it would be a good watch. Construction wise and quality of materials look and feel better on the Suunto but it’s worthless if it’s un reliable. In my view Casio would be my choice.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk Pro

I meant Pro Trek . Promaster is a Citizens brand.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk Pro

I had the Suunto Core recently and compared it to my current Protreks. I think the all black core is very attractive for a digital watch but it was difficult to read without twisting my arm around to look for the right lighting. The difficult to read screen and lack of some form of time sync and solar power made me not like it. Then I found the Protrek 3510 and it's all that and a bag of chips.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Alfy001 and Dxnnis like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information