Changing battery on solar models?
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Changing battery on solar models?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hello - quick question - I have 3 Solar/atomic models - two GShocks and one protrek that are flashing and wont sync and appear to need new batteries. Can we changes these batteries ourselves or do we have to send them back to casio? Can local jewelry shops change these?

Quote Originally Posted by brvheart
    No I am not OCD....I am CDO - that is OCD in the proper order

Re: Changing battery on solar models?

Don't change the batteries. Leave them in the direct sunshine for at least a week or more for 8 hours or more per day. They will come back. When the batteries get low, a lot of functions are shut down. Trust me. A week at least or more will bring them back. After a day or two the indicator may read medium or even high. But leave them outside in the sunshine for 7 to 10 days or more and they will come back.

It's wintertime so you will not overheat the modules. If this was summer I would tell you to put them all in large glass/jar of water and leave them outside. The water will dissapte the heat.
    brvheart, yankeexpress and Dxnnis like this.
    Casio/ Citizen/Garmin /G-Shock/ Seiko

Quote Originally Posted by Rocat View Post
    Don't change the batteries. Leave them in the direct sunshine for at least a week or more for 8 hours or more per day. They will come back. When the batteries get low, a lot of functions are shut down. Trust me. A week at least or more will bring them back. After a day or two the indicator may read medium or even high. But leave them outside in the sunshine for 7 to 10 days or more and they will come back.

It's wintertime so you will not overheat the modules. If this was summer I would tell you to put them all in large glass/jar of water and leave them outside. The water will dissapte the heat.
    got it - but finding light right now is hard. Also the displays blink and wont keep right time even when set manually - is that normal? Also the batteries show 'H' on the display already?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Follow what Rocat said (even if you just leave them outside on your porch for a week) and if you need to change them, they’re most likely CTL1616 batteries that you can find on Amazon. Not as easy but you could change them yourself with some YouTube learning. Or to play it safe, send them into Casio (NJ I think) and let them do it.

Quote Originally Posted by brvheart View Post
    got it - but finding light right now is hard. Also the displays blink and wont keep right time even when set manually - is that normal? Also the batteries show 'H' on the display already?
    If light is hard to come by due to the winter then leave them outside for two weeks or more. They will revive. It just takes time.

Unless Yankeexpress is at Sea Captaining an Ocean Cargo vessel, then he will chime in with his examples of 20+ year old Casio's still on their original batteries.

I believe Sodamonkey also has bought a few "dead" solar G-Shocks and revived them as well.
    Dxnnis likes this.

Double post

I have a 12yo tough solar model (WS-200) still going strong with no battery change, it’s kept in a toilet bag for two weeks at work, then pops out for gym work when I’m there only....

It spent 12 weeks in a shopping container back in 2011 as well when we emigrated England to Australia, came out on H

These things are amazing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mhutchuk; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:39.
    Rocat, Dxnnis and WES51 like this.

I’ll give it a shot - though I have many many of these things and they haven’t failed. These three exhibit the same behavior. Flashing display, battery on m or h and won’t keep time and keep resetting as if the battery was pulled.

I’ll figure a way to light them.
    Rocat and Dxnnis like this.

Which models are they? Are the the older watches like the G2300 series with the faulty battery from way back? Are they watches have have the older style ML series of the solar battery that takes FOREVER to top off?

Knowing the models and the date code on the back will help us determine if they are the older CTL battery that had issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocat View Post
    Which models are they? Are the the older watches like the G2300 series with the faulty battery from way back? Are they watches have have the older style ML series of the solar battery that takes FOREVER to top off?

Knowing the models and the date code on the back will help us determine if they are the older CTL battery that had issues.
    Hey Rocat :)
    GW-M5610
    PRW-3500Y
    Dw-D5600P (I believe will have to find it)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information