Garmin Instinct - light and powerful
Like Tree1816Likes

Thread: Garmin Instinct - light and powerful

Page 1 of 73 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 ... LastLast

First day with the graphite Instinct. (I wanted the white tundra but it was not available...)

I come from Garmin Flagship the Fenix 5X Plus and I have decided to give a chance to the Outdoor watch.

Why ?
    The price ! It is almost a third of my Fenix 5X Plus.
    The lightness ! It is a watch to forget while on your wrist.
    The display !! No colours but so easy to read, I first thought the backlight was blocked on "on" !!!
    The Bezel is really protecting the glass.

Now I was not certain about the low resolution of the screen but eventually the display is so clever it is a pleasure to use: I don't mind about the low res... The fonts used are perfectly readable and the Instinct is generous in informations. The use of the "Eye" on the upper right with animations and pertinent information is absolutely brilliant.

The ergonomy is the almost same as the Fenix Series with little twists: for example hold the set key bring your to alarms/timers/stopwatch/GPS sync Time... And a long push on ABC get you to the ABC functions (a short press goes to the widgets like on a Fenix)
    So the ergos are very clever !! And you got already a very easy to navigate into the menus and you can manage to be at a clock or two away from your favorite functions !!

Something I really appreciate: the watch is really responsive: no delay between the screens and menus. This is a pure pleasure to use it.

Black and white but gorgeous: there is something half vintage and half military in the way in this display almost like a e-ink watch. This is something to experiment in a shop to see how clear and and easy to read at any angle it is.

There is many more things I will re-discover on this very light (52 grams) and brilliant watch.
    It is fast in GPS acquiring and fast also in "Finding My Phone". I'm amazed !!

Stay tuned for some update !

Last edited by Nemo_Sandman; November 7th, 2018 at 17:47.

Re: Garmin Instinct - light and powerful

That actually looks good. Can't wait for more of your observations on this watch.
    Nemo_Sandman likes this.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Thank you for the presentation! The display looks like e-ink with great contrast. Tomorrow I'll drop by Garmin to see what's up.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Nemo_Sandman likes this.
    - Casio G-Shock MR-G G1000B-1A
    - Casio G-Shock GW5000-1JF
    - Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW9400-1
    - Casio Pro Trek PRW-6600YBE-5
    -
    Garmin Fenix 5 plus

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Man I wish there was a solar version of this watch. Even a solar-assisted version, like the new Casio Rangeman. Casio Tough Solars have spoiled me :/

Thanks for the write-up though, this watch is getting harder and harder to say no to
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.

Specialization is for insects.

I just wanted to quote Kristian, a fellow forumite on the Garmin forum, as he sum it up very well also about The Eye of the Instinct.

"Just wanted to express my enthusiasm about the circular display insert in the Garmin Instinct - how shall we call it, disc? eye?

The more I use the Instinct the more I realize that Garmin put REAL effort into how to leverage and best utilize this round insert. They went far beyond just using it as a gimmicky reference to the Casio G-Shock. I love that they customized the appearance of what are essentially little widgets or data fields specifically for that shape:
    - the moon phase in the disc is nice and big, fits perfect into the circle of course
    - the sun path between day and night is a nicely done circular shape
    - the loading progress as a circle in the disc
    - all the other watchface options customized for the full circle shape
    - the activity icons when entering the activity choice
    - the GPS connecting process
    - the use of this disc as a separate data screen for the activies.

Well well done, Garmin. At first it seems a copy of the Casio's eyelet, but the more I use it the more it is clear that Garmin's use of this circle display insert is waaay more functional and elegant than Casio's."

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/on-t...-well-executed

100% agree.
    GaryK30 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tekmonkey View Post
    Man I wish there was a solar version of this watch. Even a solar-assisted version, like the new Casio Rangeman. Casio Tough Solars have spoiled me :/

Thanks for the write-up though, this watch is getting harder and harder to say no to
    I'm afraid it's still some ways off. Casio knows everything there is to know about solar charging, yet even they could only produce a solar-assisted GPS watch. Also bear in mind that the RangeBeast has beastly solar panels as well. The added features of the Instinct - HR sensor - draw even more energy.
    Queen6 likes this.
    - Casio G-Shock MR-G G1000B-1A
    - Casio G-Shock GW5000-1JF
    - Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW9400-1
    - Casio Pro Trek PRW-6600YBE-5
    -
    Garmin Fenix 5 plus

Quote Originally Posted by Miklos86 View Post
    I'm afraid it's still some ways off. Casio knows everything there is to know about solar charging, yet even they could only produce a solar-assisted GPS watch. Also bear in mind that the RangeBeast has beastly solar panels as well. The added features of the Instinct - HR sensor - draw even more energy.
    Agreed. But for me, that's why it would be "solar-assisted" basically meaning the more features you use (gps, HR, bluetooth, etc) the faster the battery would drain (the longer it will need to charge with solar)

Because my use case for something like the instinct would be to use it as a watch (time, 2 other timezones, stopwatch, countdown timer) with occasional compass. I would only turn on the HR sensor during my workouts 3x a week for an hour and a half, and would only turn on GPS while swimming outdoors / mountain biking / running which is about 3x per week as well. And maybe once per week BT to sync the workouts (if possible with cable, I'd do that instead)

My idea is basically depending on your usage, you "could" "in theory" maybe get away with just solar power, and have the charger there just in case or if you don't have access to much sun (looking at you, northern european climate for the next couple of months)

That would absolutely be my killer digital / do it all / workout / survive the apocalypse / travel the world watch

One can dream :)
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.

Specialization is for insects.

The GPS fix is fast and even made in "cover" situation". I live in a top floor and the fix is made "through the roof". Also in the entry of my building without seeing the sky (urban canyon) the fix was made and iit even surprised me !!

No drunkman syndrome. You can notice how accurate is it on the bridge far from urban canyons.

Heart monitoring. nothing new, look how the "grey" is done by playing with black pixels. this is really vintage in style and charming.

You can, like on the Fenixes, choose what information the display is providing...

In the eye is the indicator that I use an North oriented display, this is not a compass.

No cartography but it's not an issue for my use. Same for navigation as I use straight line navigation, I just need a bearing and the distance, the rest: I can manage.

Another easy peazy lemon squeezy feature: music control: it works perfectly and again it is fast in respond.

Knowing the Fenix 5X and the Fenix 5X Plus this Instinct is real pleasure to use, so fast and easy. I love the timer for example. You got the current time, the timing and the set of the timer and in the eye a graphic representation in circle !
    It's one of the tool I need everyday and this is so clever that Garmin has gathered alarms/stopwatch/timers together at one hot key (SET long press) also clever to regroup the ABC functions under the ABC long press button. Those "in-house" shortcuts are just the expression of the cleverness of the designers.
    Last edited by Nemo_Sandman; November 8th, 2018 at 12:30.
    tichy, elborderas, GaryK30 and 1 others like this.

One thing that stands out to me is how FAST the GPS lock is. Indoors, it takes me 3-5 seconds. Outdoors, maybe 1-3 seconds. One video I watched about the GPR and the long trek he was taking, was how long it took for a GPS lock..I counted 60 seconds in the video. Not good if you lose a signal.

I think the vibration is more strong with the Instinct, than the MK1. The display is very nice, even for a negative display.

The ability to have more than one timer:

The ability in GC to choose your alarms..my Descent doesn’t have the option:

Last edited by Odie; November 8th, 2018 at 16:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Odie View Post
    The ability in GC to choose your alarms..my Descent doesn’t have the option:

Ah! I did not know that !! This is great !!

Very sharp beautiful pictures !! Thank you !

Yes this Instinct is really a new animal standing on the shoulders of various Fenix versions ! It is light and fast !!
    SO light and sturdy I'm not afraid to wear on the right wrist with the B5000 on the left wrist !!

BTW
    I'm looking for a way to transmit waypoint from GC or Garmin Explorer app into the Instinct if you got any hints !

I can transmit from the Instinct to the Garmin Explorer app by simple sync but not the other way around...

Page 1 of 73 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread Information