Got a new Casio A158... Counterfeit or genuine?

Thread: Got a new Casio A158... Counterfeit or genuine?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Got a new Casio A158... Counterfeit or genuine?

I already had counterfeit A168s sent to me and got really good at identifying them. Ebay and Amazon are full of them, not just shipped from "outlets", but also from watch stores and second hand. Issue being, while I could get the A168 in a store in town, the A158 is sold out everywhere but online. I got sent an A158 from Amazon today and need help with it. I was immediately suspicious because of the packaging, which I know many faked watches come in. Photos below. Various Amazon vandors have terrible reviews because of these two watches and so I bought from their warehouse directly. They mostly said that the buttons stopped working, the screen developed black spots or that the light stopped working. All of them lose and gain multiple seconds a day, too.

I will try to upload photos in the next post, if the forum lets me (says my post count is too low for now)

When I hold the 24h/12h button, the Casio logo does pop up. But the counterfeit A168 had that, too. Back of the sliding clasp says Stainless Steel China (previous fakes said Japan or Cambodia), back of the case says made in China and has the correct module and model number, bracelet has the serial number S-515DV. But I only have an A168WE to compare it to. The little cardboard piece with the logo and serial number appears to be legit or a really good fake. My other counterfeits just had a bar code and a different logo on them, without the serial number. But like with all of these counterfeits, no matter how good the aesthetics are, they don't keep the time well (cannot judge, just got the watch) and there is always a flaw in the module. On two A168s I returned, the daily and hourly alarm appeared in the wrong order. And when I pressed the light, often the watch would switch between 24 and 12h mode. On this A158, that doesn't happen (yet, I keep testing it) and the daily and hourly alarm appear in the right order. Manual and warranty card say Japan, but the manual has a Turkish phrase underneath the stamp field. Google Translate says it means "Complies with EEE Regulation". My German and US bought Casios don't have a counterpart to that on their respective manuals.

As you can see, I am slightly paranoid after having been sent so many counterfeits. I just adore my F91 and other Casios and wish I could have this stainless version of it.If someone could please compare their packaging and watch details with my photos and let me know their thoughts... I cannot keep buying and returning counterfeits, I would like to actually buy a genuine Casio for once again. I'm in Germany. I'd be willing to order from Japan. But for that, I too would need to know what packaging and manual to look out for, as I'd be ordering online again. I have to decide over the weekend whther I will need to return this or not, so I will be very grateful for any input.

Re: Got a new Casio A158... Counterfeit or genuine?

looks original..so far the fake ones don't have the wordings on the back

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Casio has a legit factory in China that makes this model I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by funktionz View Post
    Casio has a legit factory in China that makes this model I believe.

Thank you. All these A168 and A158 models are made in China. That was not my concern. The packaging does not seem to be original and is definitely the same box used for all the counterfeits on Amazon and Ebay. The model number stamping on the bracelet is much bigger on this than it is on my genuine A168WE. The caseback stamping is also not as clear to read on this one. Hence me asking for comparisons.

looks original..so far the fake ones don't have the wordings on the back

My fake ones all had the proper module and serial number stamped on the back of the case. Only the bracelet has been off so far. This bracelet number stamp seems to be legit, S-515DV. However, the stamp itself is bigger and also offcenter. My genuine Casios have it dead center and in small print. This one is large and towards the bottom. Just like my fake A168 had.

Quote Originally Posted by IjustwantaCasio View Post
    Thank you. All these A168 and A158 models are made in China. That was not my concern. The packaging does not seem to be original and is definitely the same box used for all the counterfeits on Amazon and Ebay. The model number stamping on the bracelet is much bigger on this than it is on my genuine A168WE. The caseback stamping is also not as clear to read on this one. Hence me asking for comparisons.
    I just gave mine away so I don't have the back photo. But in reference to the packaging, from my discussion with one of the proper local distributors of Casio here, most of the normal models (with the exception of G-Shock, Special Editions and Pro Trek I believe) don't come with a specific packaging. (Usually shipped looser with the manual etc to wholesalers). The box is usually based on the distributor who the repacks them.into "official" boxes.. so you have the blue casio boxes or the white box with Casio prints in.blue and I've seen the white plastic type hard case as well.

So far the fake ones have a really crappy bracelet which if you compare with the usual Casio bracelets will be a clear sign it's fake.

So far from the images you posted and how I remember mine, looks legit.

But in reference to the packaging, from my discussion with one of the proper local distributors of Casio here, most of the normal models (with the exception of G-Shock, Special Editions and Pro Trek I believe) don't come with a specific packaging. (Usually shipped looser with the manual etc to wholesalers). The box is usually based on the distributor who the repacks them.into "official" boxes.. so you have the blue casio boxes or the white box with Casio prints in.blue and I've seen the white plastic type hard case as well.
    Exactly and this one came in the aluminium tin, which itself was in a white non branded cardboard box, not Casio. Which immediately reminded me of all the negative reviews I read mentioning it. I've seen the different types of packaging you mentioned, as I have a little collection myself these days and yeah, mine all came in a white, blue or black Casio branded cardbox. I have no experience with wholesale, but what you say makes sense.

I have to honestly say though, that the bracelets on my counterfeits so far were identical to my originals. But I never ordered those 5 dollar models from China or such.

Quote Originally Posted by IjustwantaCasio View Post
    Exactly and this one came in the aluminium tin, which itself was in a white non branded cardboard box, not Casio. Which immediately reminded me of all the negative reviews I read mentioning it. I've seen the different types of packaging you mentioned, as I have a little collection myself these days and yeah, mine all came in a white, blue or black Casio branded cardbox. I have no experience with wholesale, but what you say makes sense.

I have to honestly say though, that the bracelets on my counterfeits so far were identical to my originals. But I never ordered those 5 dollar models from China or such.
    I've seen the fake A168w so far on Ali Express for a few dollars. Looks different from yours. And the ones I've seen usually don't have the Casio wording for this model.

I've seen those too, but you're talking shipping the cheap ones from China or Singapore. Let me show you one of my fake A168s I returned to a store in Germany. The seller was genuinely baffled when I compared it to my A168WE and showed him the minor differences. Had the watch not had a malfunction in the light and gained so many seconds during the day, I would have not noticed this was a counterfeit.

Obviously I had a watch to compare it to, which I sadly don't with this A158. I hope I won't regret saying it, but so far, the A158 does seem very solid. The packaging made me very suspicious and then the small things that could easily be standard, such as the different stamping on the bracelet, can drive you insane.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information