How to: Casio PRW-3000 Negative to Positive Display
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: How to: Casio PRW-3000 Negative to Positive Display

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Lightbulb How to: Casio PRW-3000 Negative to Positive Display

Hi All, today I decided to convert my Casio's display from negative to positive. I really liked the look of the negative display but after some use with the watch, I couldn't really stand how hard it was to read the display. For those that own this watch (or similar) and want to do the same, below is my process of converting it to make it much easier to read. Enjoy!

Here you can see the watch's negative display. Even under a bright desk lamp, it's hard to read unless angled correctly.

First step is to remove the screws that hide the main watch back screws we need access to.

You may have to use 2 screwdrivers, one to hold one side while you unscrew the other side. This part was a little tricky for me since the screwdrivers kept slipping.

There is a metal tube that also need to be removed along with the 2 ends of the screws. I just pushed it out with a screwdriver.

Now with the straps removed, unscrew the 4 screws holding the watch back. The plate is under spring tension so I pushed down on the plate while unscrewing the 4 screws.

Plate removed. Be careful not to damage or rip the O-ring.

Prior to removing the gray rubber piece, you'll need to bend the little metal tabs up.

Now the battery and movement is exposed.

There is a small white tab holding the sensor wire down. Lift the tab up and CAREFULLY pull the sensor cable out of the movement.

Watch movement is out. Now that it's exposed to more light, the negative display actually doesn't look too bad.

Removing the polarizing film was pretty difficult. It is stuck on with pretty strong adhesive and while trying to slide the tweezers under to pull it out, I accidentally broke off a piece and scratched the film.

Polarizing film turned 90 degrees. It's now much more legible.

Because I damaged the original polarizing film, I used some new film from a pair of 3D glasses. Be sure to clean off any sticky adhesive with something like Goo Gone.

I cut the new film and stuck it inside the case, then placed the movement back in to check and make sure everything looks good. Be sure to cut the shape of the new film with the positive display showing and not the negative side.

Be sure to clean the polarizing film and watch movement screen so that there's no dust inside. Also don't forget to reconnect the sensor cable. Everything looks good so proceed to assemble the watch back in reverse order.

ALL DONE! Overall took a little more than an hour to complete. Now it's much easier to read and looks great!

Comments welcome and let me know if you have any questions :)
    Last edited by aZhu; May 27th, 2015 at 00:12.

Re: How to: Casio PRW-3000 Negative to Positive Display

Excellent work! Thanks for documenting and sharing it.

Just a little remark on a job well done...
    the sensor connector IS attached with a lifting clip. It is not just slided in !

basically the whitish part must be lifted up, then only now the sensor connector can be pulled free...

Cheers Pierre

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by pegase747 View Post
    Just a little remark on a job well done...
    the sensor connector IS attached with a lifting clip. It is not just slided in !

basically the whitish part must be lifted up, then only now the sensor connector can be pulled free...

Cheers Pierre
    Thanks for that info. I opened up the watch again to double check to make sure the cable was indeed clipped on snug. I've also updated the post to reflect this change. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by aZhu View Post
    Hi All, today I decided to convert my Casio's display from negative to positive. I really liked the look of the negative display but after some use with the watch, I couldn't really stand how hard it was to read the display. For those that own this watch (or similar) and want to do the same, below is my process of converting it to make it much easier to read. Enjoy!

I cut the new film and stuck it inside the case, then placed the movement back in to check and make sure everything looks good. Be sure to cut the shape of the new film with the positive display showing and not the negative side.

ALL DONE! Overall took a little more than an hour to complete. Now it's much easier to read and looks great!

Comments welcome and let me know if you have any questions :)
    So that I am clear, you removed the polarizing film that was glued/attached to the lcd. Then cleaned the lcd. Then you placed the new polarizing film into the watch case without adhering it to the cleaned lcd. So it is just wedged into the case between the module and the underside of the crystal?

BTW it looks great. There is a 5600 series watch that I want to convert to positive. Your post is very good.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Quote Originally Posted by Rocat View Post
    So that I am clear, you removed the polarizing film that was glued/attached to the lcd. Then cleaned the lcd. Then you placed the new polarizing film into the watch case without adhering it to the cleaned lcd. So it is just wedged into the case between the module and the underside of the crystal?

BTW it looks great. There is a 5600 series watch that I want to convert to positive. Your post is very good.
    Yep I didn't use any adhesive. If the shape of your new polarizing film is cut just right, it would fit in the grooves of the bezel and won't require any tape. You can give it a try before you close the watch back and shake to see if you hear any rattling. Mine fit pretty snug.
    Dxnnis likes this.

I also forgot to mention, make sure when you cut and position the polarizing film that you don't block the 2 holes that connect the module to the front solar panel. The 2 gold springs need to be in contact with the solar panel for it to function properly.

watch_geek2014 likes this.

Thanks,
    That is good to know. Luckily the 5600 I want to convert to positive is neither solar or atomic. It is the GLS-5600-4, this hideous beast:

Then strip off the red clothes and put it on matte black resin.
    Last edited by Rocat; May 28th, 2015 at 15:07.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Quote Originally Posted by Rocat View Post
    Thanks,
    That is good to know. Luckily the 5600 I want to convert to positive is neither solar or atomic. It is the GLS-5600-4, this hideous beast:

Then strip off the red clothes and put it on matte black resin.
    Let me know how it goes. I'd want to see pics too! :)
    Dxnnis likes this.

aZhu, the second photo, the black screwdriver, what brand and model is that?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information