How often do you change battery on ABC watches and for which cost $$ ?

Thread: How often do you change battery on ABC watches and for which cost $$ ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

How often do you change battery on ABC watches and for which cost $$ ?

I'd like to have an idea on how often do you need a battery replacement with your ABC watch, and how much does the AD charge you for this ?

Casio non-solar are way cheaper than solar powered, but is it really a good idea to buy solar watches (I suppose accumulators are more expensive than "normal" batteries.....if they need to be changed). How much does it cost to change a battery (with waterproof certification) on your watch.

Suunto, Casio, Timex.....all ABC watches are welcomed in this subject

Thanks for your input

Re: How often do you change battery on ABC watches and for which cost $$ ?

I replace the battery in my Suuntos once a year whether they need it or not.

That's the only way I can be sure they will be ready when I need them. No "waterproof certification" needed as long as the gasket still looks good and is lubricated - battery is designed to be changed out by the user. Cost is a couple of bucks and 5 minutes of my time per watch.

All my other ABC's are solar, so I don't worry about them.

HTH
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

One of the big purposes on a nonsolar ABC is, that the battery change is as easy as pie, doesn't even take a minute and is fairly cheap too (around 30-50 cents for a cell). As Gaijn mentioned water resistance is of no concern. Usually I change the CR2032 once per year on my Tech40 and on my Weathermaster VII. My Timex WS4 still runs on the first battery and I purchased it three years ago or so. No wonder since it houses a monstrous CR2430.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Wow.....I've a lot to learn about ABC watches !

I thought that Casio and Suunto were the only ones to sell ABC watches, but I discovered thanks to you that Tech4o was selling a very popular ABC watch with an accelerator (does it tell you the speed and distance when driving a car or a motorbike ?) I asked google my dearest friend what a weathermaster 7 could be and I now know the answer.

It's seems strange not to have access in EU (I live in France) to these ABC watches....Except via ebay but, much more expensive than your Amazon.com ! I even found a <50$ watch with everything (no accelerator though), ABC watch + tide + moon phases.......

I should ask our dear moderator who lives in Germany....maybe he has good adresses for ABC watches..

Do you change batteries on Casio watches yourself as well ?

Hi,
    I change batteries on Casios myself but they don't have the "battery hatch" the non-solar ABCs have. Tech4o has a European website too - you can order there. The accelerometer works only for jogging as the watch only notices the movement of your wrist and when putting in your stride length it can then calculate the distance.
    Tech4o Europe - The leading provider of Tech4o Running Watches, Pedometer Watches, Outdoor hiking watches, Outdoor Computers

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Banned

Thanks Sedi, always there when needed ;)

Prices are not the same on amazon.com (99$) and the european website (169€).....
    So I won't go for the Tech4o..

You said you change the batteries yourself on Casio watches. If they don't have the battery hatch I guess it is more complicated to do it yourself and managing to keep your watch waterproof is quite a challenge isn't it ?

Did you ever have to change the battery of a solar powered Casio ? How long does this special battery last ? (in other words, for a Casio, is it financially interesting to choose a solar powered watch or not).

No, I never changed a solar battery so far. I did change batteries on a few G-Shocks but I never put it to the test if they are still water-proof. A solar battery should probably last between 10 and 15 years - but you really can't tell precisely. Maybe it's even 20 years. But there have also been some who have been dying faster.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    Tech4o has a European website too - you can order there. The accelerometer works only for jogging as the watch only notices the movement of your wrist and when putting in your stride length it can then calculate the distance
    I may add that it works for jogging AND walking since there are seperate adjustment possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by bichef
    If they don't have the battery hatch I guess it is more complicated to do it yourself and managing to keep your watch waterproof is quite a challenge isn't it ?

Did you ever have to change the battery of a solar powered Casio ? How long does this special battery last ? (in other words, for a Casio, is it financially interesting to choose a solar powered watch or not).
    While you need a srewdriver for the backplate, a battery change on a non-hatched watched is really not difficult after all and just requires a little more time. Water resistance is completely overrated (and overfeared) and as long as you make sure that the gasket stays in place (best way is to lube it with silicon grease anytime the watch is open) and the screws are tightened gently and crosswise (both is essential), the watch is as good as it came from the factory.

Whether it is financially attractive to buy a solar powerd ABC watch or not is up to the individual, but you should consider that they are not capable of full ABC operations unlike non-solar powered ones. A fully operational ABC watch (like the Tech4o, Timex WS4, Weathermaster or Suunto Core for instance) requires much more power and can do a lot more precise measuring, calculating and other complex tasks. The relative weak 18mah (a CR2032 has 230mah!!!) CTL1616 solar battery forces Casio to crop their ABC functionality to a minimum, otherwise the watches would run out of power faster than they ever can recharge. This is widely known and I think most members here will agree with it. As wrote many times before: Casio watches are timepieces first and foremost and then ABC tools with very basic functions. Other manufacturers are serious ABC tool makers with the ability to tell also the time - big difference
    People often state, that Casio is probably the most rugged and tough ABC brand of all - this might be true, though my Weathermaster VII is laying on a window sill outside, faced north, the whole year for the simple reason of temperature measurement. It is exposed to all elements with strong frost (we had recently in february as you know), high humidity, very hot days during summer, wind, storms, hard rain with hail and whatnot and it holds up remarkebly well without a sign of weakness and this for more than 4 years now.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

I wonder if it will really use up all that much more energy if Casio would at least add MSLP to their ABC-watches - sure the watch would then have to do a little more calculating but it can not be that much, can it?
    Btw Holger: Are you still happy with the Timex WS4? It is available for a very good price right now and I'm seriously tempted to get one - either this or a Tech4o is very high up on my list - especially since I was assigned "digital & ABC"-moderator I think I need another fully featured ABC besides my X-Lander .

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Yes I'm still happy with my WS4, it works like a charm

About power consumption. MPL and an altilock would certainly require almost nothing, still both would be great to have. I think more about bigger barographs, with higher resolution, more frequently updates, full compass usability at night, much longer bearings, more precise altimeters with 1meter increments, longer backlight in general, louder and longer alarms, vibration alarm would be supergreat (only available in the Origo ABC line to my knowledge) and such but what do I tell you, you get the idea

cheers
    Last edited by cal..45; March 11th, 2012 at 20:23.
    We are 12.6 %

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast