Let's Hear it for the Casio W-800H!
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Let's Hear it for the Casio W-800H!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Let's Hear it for the Casio W-800H!

Casio rules the realm of affordable and digital, and there's no shortage of Youtube praise for the obscenely feature-packed AE-1200WH, the nostalgic A-158W and A-168W, or the bantam legend F-91W.

But the internet seems a little quieter about the watch that is, for my tastes, the sweetest of the bunch: the W-800H. Allow me to sing its praises.

• A little more robust, more water resistant, more fully-featured, and with a longer battery life than the F-91.
    • Smaller and not as ugly as the AE-1200, and it actually doesn't look silly on a Nato (sorry Casio Royale fans!).
    • More comfortable on the wrist than the steel-bracelet models.
    • Way cheaper than a G-Shock, and it will happily put up with being dropped or tossed against a wall. If it does break, $15 will get you a new one.
    • All the features you need for a daily beater or travel companion: alarm, chrono, dual time zones, full calendar, and a great light.

I have watches that cost nearly 200 times more, but I never get tired of the W-800H. For me, it's the king of affordable digital watches. Enjoy these photos of mine.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  381.0 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Size:  267.0 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Size:  200.8 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Size:  424.2 KB
    elborderas, lvt and zabat like this.

Re: Let's Hear it for the Casio W-800H!

And gets even better when you realize you can enable the hidden Count Down Timer feature
    Dennis Parris and Rocat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by elborderas View Post
    And gets even better when you realize you can enable the hidden Count Down Timer feature
    Heck yes! I remember reading about some folks modifying the module. I haven't tried this yet on mine. Might have to do it! Thanks for reminding me.
    elborderas likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I do like the thick acrylic crystal, the 100M resistance, and the display. But after the strap broke I had trouble replacing it. The only thing that fits it is the standard Casio replacement strap which is slightly smaller.

Unfortunately you can't use the great thick spring bars in the original strap because it had a paper-thin covering around the bars.

Great watch with a very poorly designed strap.
    Dennis Parris likes this.
    ShockMister

lvt

Great watch, love the full calendar display.
    Dennis Parris likes this.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by ShockMister View Post
    I do like the thick acrylic crystal, the 100M resistance, and the display. But after the strap broke I had trouble replacing it. The only thing that fits it is the standard Casio replacement strap which is slightly smaller.

Unfortunately you can't use the great thick spring bars in the original strap because it had a paper-thin covering around the bars.

Great watch with a very poorly designed strap.

I haven't tried other two-piece straps, but I've successfully used 18mm Nato straps on mine. But I agree, with those tiny lugs it's a bit of a pain to work with.

All Casios in general boast the same feature, with a few modelas come with special feature like shock resistant (G Shock) that you'll never put to the test (unless you intentionally jump onto a concrete surface - like a carport for example - from 30 feet wrist first.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Parris View Post
    • Smaller and not as ugly as the AE-1200, and it actually doesn't look silly on a Nato (sorry Casio Royale fans!).
    It actually looks a bit silly because of the small lug size compared to the watch body. That and you have to go for thinner springbars or thinner nato straps or both to make it fit because of how little gap there is between the springbars and the watch. I have it on a nato though as the original strap cracked.

Looks nice in the photos. Not so nice when you see it in real life.
    I liked the clear crystal of it and that's all i liked. The watch is silly thick and looks big and boring. The viewing angle of the lcd is limited. This makes the watch look even cheaper. Clearly i prefer the f91 over it.
    I also tried the countdown hack. Worked for a week but then the watch started to randomly reset the time and the lcd started to blink every second. I will not try to fix it. It is garbage.

double

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information