Casio rules the realm of affordable and digital, and there's no shortage of Youtube praise for the obscenely feature-packed AE-1200WH, the nostalgic A-158W and A-168W, or the bantam legend F-91W.
But the internet seems a little quieter about the watch that is, for my tastes, the sweetest of the bunch: the W-800H. Allow me to sing its praises.
- A little more robust, more water resistant, more fully-featured, and with a longer battery life than the F-91.
- Smaller and not as ugly as the AE-1200, and it actually doesn't look silly on a Nato (sorry Casio Royale fans!).
- More comfortable on the wrist than the steel-bracelet models.
- Way cheaper than a G-Shock, and it will happily put up with being dropped or tossed against a wall. If it does break, $15 will get you a new one.
- All the features you need for a daily beater or travel companion: alarm, chrono, dual time zones, full calendar, and a great light.
I have watches that cost nearly 200 times more, but I never get tired of the W-800H. For me, it's the king of affordable digital watches. Enjoy these photos of mine.