Little Tour: PRG-40, Sunnto Vector, GWG-1000, Garmin Instinct (picture heavy)
Like Tree18Likes
  • 11 Post By watch-ing
  • 3 Post By watch-ing
  • 1 Post By Rico Kay
  • 2 Post By kramer5150
  • 1 Post By NC_Hager626

Thread: Little Tour: PRG-40, Sunnto Vector, GWG-1000, Garmin Instinct (picture heavy)

Little Tour: PRG-40, Sunnto Vector, GWG-1000, Garmin Instinct (picture heavy)

Hi Guys,

wanted to share a little tour i made these days, showing and testing some famous Abc-Watches. Hoping the pictures will be shown fine.

I will give my short opinion to all watches at the end. This isnt supposed to be a scientific test. Its more of a, hopefully, entertaining little trip, insight to these models and watch-p0rn.
    All watches, except the Garmin, were bought used. All watches might have some soft/hardware flaws, they seem to work flawless.

Lets go! Somewhere in the middle of europe. A lovely, sunny day. I went to reach the top of this hill with archaelogical background and a wooden surprise.

Name:  20191022_160609.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  93.7 KB

This is the starting point at about 300m above sea level, a parking place and a grill hut in the woods.

Name:  20191022_142046.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  276.8 KB

The 4 stars of this tour, left to right: Casio GWG-1000-1AER (liking the 1A3ER much more), 2017; Suunto Vector, 2002; Garmin Instinct with orange bands, 2018; Casio Pro-Trek PRG-40-3VER, 2001.
    I calibrated all watches to 300m.

Name:  20191022_141920.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  232.3 KB

And up the hill, through the woods. Very steep.

Name:  20191022_142626.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  269.7 KB

110m higher, i reached this wooden "observation tower". Adventurous to get up.

Name:  20191022_143739.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  232.2 KB

Name:  20191022_143837.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  186.5 KB

Name:  20191022_143938.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  194.1 KB

At the top of the tower.

Name:  20191022_144523.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  116.6 KB

Name:  20191022_144555.jpg
Size:  95.3 KB

I was a little anxious to let the watches fall down, quite windy ;)

Name:  20191022_145758.jpg
Size:  930.1 KB

Name:  20191022_145614.jpg
Size:  872.4 KB

Name:  20191022_145625.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  98.1 KB

Name:  20191022_145635.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  106.5 KB

Name:  20191022_145719.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  115.8 KB

After some minutes, i packed all in the backpack and went down to the grill hut again. Checking the Altimeter of each, showing the ABC- Functions by design.
    Info: The PRG-40 took some minutes longer, stabilized at 320m. PRG-40 and Vector count in 5m-steps only. Vector display isnt actually blueish tinted, just on the pics.

Name:  20191022_152012.jpg
Size:  149.5 KB

Name:  20191022_152344.jpg
Size:  134.4 KB

Name:  20191022_153239.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  153.3 KB

Name:  20191022_153121.jpg
Size:  147.8 KB

Name:  20191022_153313.jpg
Size:  148.4 KB

Name:  20191022_152356.jpg
Size:  113.7 KB

Name:  20191022_153126.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  141.7 KB

Name:  20191022_200918.jpg
Size:  59.6 KB

Name:  20191022_152404.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  119.7 KB

Name:  20191022_153138.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  135.5 KB

Name:  20191022_153219.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  134.0 KB

Name:  20191022_152455.jpg
Size:  117.5 KB

Name:  20191022_153157.jpg
Size:  120.2 KB

Name:  20191022_153148.jpg
Size:  128.4 KB

Name:  20191022_153720.jpg
Size:  134.4 KB

All watches are quite incorrect in this matter, the PRG-40 to be the most slow and inaccurate. To me, thats ok. Its more of a gimmick anyways.

My short opinion to each model. I might add some over time, if i forget something:

GWG-1000:
    + sensor v.3
    + most superb design (not necessarily this color)
    + great pushers, even though they "stick" often in the metal casing. Gives a mixed feeling about quality. GW-9400 has the same problem
    + great presence on the wrist
    + ana-digital watch in G-Shock quality
    + sapphire glass (if this is important to you)
    + solar powered and atomic time
    + auto backlight
    + compass function with the second hand is too cool
    + function to bring the hands back in sync with the digital time

- incredible stupid and nonsense screwdown-crown, which brings this watch away from being a real handy ABC-Watch. Casio, please.
    - almost impossible to read negative display; Further reason this is no "real" ABC-watch
    - very heavy and bulky, baaarely edc- usable, not for sportsmen in general
    - very stiff wristband, most useless keeper
    - too bright light
    - autolight is bitchy
    - no vibration alarm. i say this, cause its a huge watch and should need it
    - as so often in g´s: too weak alarm sound
    - only minute timer, no seconds. ive got alarms for more than one hour, i need at least 30second-steps
    - analog hands get too often in the way; using the "away hands"-function is annoying, as the hands move slowly
    - no sunrise-sunset option
    - no quickstart stopwatch/timer as for example a GW-9400
    - bezel is hard to replace/getting of; seems to have some "breaking points"
    - quite weak lume on the hands and (very) weak on the indexes
    - sweet to look at, yet slow reacting hands and mode changes
    - casio typical problem: NO illumination while mode changing. really annoying in this model, as its quite slow.

PRG-40

+ another incredible and kind of timeless design by casio. rough, military, outdoorsy, practical and sporty. to me, one of the best designs in a digital watch
    + so cool to look at the compass function with that dual display (trying to post a .gif to this)
    + good pushers, even they creak a bit
    + auto backlight, and this in 2001.
    + sweet backlight color
    + alarm is quite loud
    + rotating bezel
    + big digits
    + very legible
    + long wristband
    + easy to replace all parts
    + good visible backlight pusher
    + dual display
    + weight is ok
    + good wrist presence

- 4 ancient batteries to be replaced. good luck in finding those at a store
    - no solar power on a abc-watch? no good
    - quite battery consuming it seems. no low- battery warning except that "recov" in compass mode as a hint
    - sensor v.1; slower and energy consumption is high than in newer models. for nowadays is just too slow and not accurate enough
    - no timer. why?
    - too less functions in all
    - digits on the main mode are too close, seconds about same sized, confuses sometimes
    - rotating bezel is terrible stiff, even when clean and oiled. can mostly only be rotated by using the finger nails

Suunto Vector

+ so lightweight, almost toyish and empty. like a mockup
    + pragmatically seen good pushers with a too soft feedback feeling
    + good legibility
    + many functions and options in those, like seconds timer
    + oh my gosh, the light works WHILE i press the pushers, no exception in which mode. casio... please! this was 2001!
    + alarm is ok loud
    + sensors seem fine, even though there is no option for hpa
    + sweet digital seconds running around the watchface
    + only one and easy to replace battery
    + low battery warning symbol (yes, it will come faster than you think )
    + acrylic glass. this is also a bad thing, still... you can remove scratches yourself quite fast. not possible on mineral glass
    + spirit level. it still works fine after almost 20 years. very nice. do we need it? i guess not
    + rotating bezel which is too soft and feels buttery with no stop
    + very good option for a sports-, abc- or edc-watch
    + good price if used, around 50eu

- acrylic glass. scratches are your company
    - looks like a toy. work at a kindergarten and you are a hero. show it to your date and she will leave with the waiter
    - very questionable quality. its glued mainly, its a suunto, its more plastic than someones best girlfriends. i got 3 vectors, 2 were broken. i got dozens of casios of all ages: maybe 5 were broken
    - battery compartment is quite fragile, will need to be replaced sooner or later
    - officially only 3 bar water resistance, a joke for an outdoors watch or any watch at all
    - logical, yet unusual to use user-interface. modes are on other places than a casio
    - modes are quite complex to adjust
    - for backlight: push down a spikey plastic pusher for some seconds. ... suunto, what the heck?!
    - no auto-backlight
    - no solar

Garmin Instinct

+ yes, i always say it, dont hit me: best combined edc-sports-outdoor watch ever. so far. casio, create some g-shock this way, please. no huge tower clock like the gpr-b1000 and no questionable android pro-trek
    + very lightweight
    + great design with negative display. can be positive, too
    + big digits compared to other abc watches
    + mip-display. its just a world difference compared to a lcd-display
    + wristbands to be removeable very easy
    + gps! no need to connect to the cellphone for this. its accurate, too. visual breadcrumb map
    + all abc- functions
    + countless and countless of functions. you got a dog tracking option. my dog didnt even have a glowing collar! ah, the future
    + 100m water resistance
    + shockproof
    + mil-spec 12345678 blabla. means: its tough
    + 3 weeks +- battery life
    + good pushers
    + vibration alarm!
    + yes, light glows while pressing the pushers!
    + quite loud alarm signal
    + haptic feedback option (short vibration) when pressing the pushers, also (annoying) sound if you wish
    + auto-backlight
    + some more or less pragmatic watch faces. should be way more, though
    + good to wear and soft standard-wristband with useless second keeper
    + quite fast mode changes
    + customizeable shortcuts
    + reinforced plastic bezel. i count this as a plus, cause it wont scratch anything
    + informative and nice to look at graphs in thermometre, altimeter and barometer mode. casios barometer looks like crap and isnt that informative
    + round shaped mini-display in the top right is not everyones taste. i find it ok.

- a minus for watch enthusiasts: its so good that its kind of boring. it degrades almost any other watch to a "collectors item"
    - actual display should be bigger. seems very g-shockish, means its too small for the size of the watch
    - might look cheapish to some, as its all plastic
    - garmin quality, you will know what that means. further: the whole watch is glued. if its broken, there might be no real chance of repairing it. time will tell. casios for example can be repaired and parts replaced to the last screw
    - might be outdated soon, then it will most likely not be updated with epo-data, means gps reception will be terrible slow. its a glued smartwatch with after all, this will create problems for sure
    - garmin software updates have known problems
    - altimeter seems to make problems with many users (altimeter spikes occur)
    - sensor opening is on the back of the case, this produces the mentioned problem most likely
    - new model. long-term experiences are missing
    - "only" some kind of mineral glass. ok to me, also the bezel is good over the glass and i use screen protector
    - if used fast, the display falls behind and "stucks" for short
    - pusher feedback feeling could be more "trustworthy". gives the watch a bit fragile feeling. even a cheap dw-5600 feels way more sturdy
    - missing tide graph. why so? waiting before the new model arrives or getting the function in that one?
    - misses way more watchfaces. its ok to me, as i see it as some kind of g-shock--smartwatch-mix
    - charging port on the backside is not covered, in constant contact with anything that touches and adheres to it. cable sits quite loose in, even if the watch is new. this thing wont last forever. hopefully longer than the battery (6 years?). they should provide a protection cap or magnetic charging port

ok, i might add more info over time.
    thanks for joining this little journy, bye
    Last edited by watch-ing; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:03.

Re: Little Tour: PRG-40, Sunnto Vector, GWG-1000, Garmin Instinct (picture heavy)

Thanks for your review.

The Instinct has a moon phase widget.

None of the buttons stick on my or my nephew's GW-9400. Must be a sample variation issue.

Re: Little Tour: PRG-40, Sunnto Vector, GWG-1000, Garmin Instinct (picture heavy)

Quote Originally Posted by GaryK30 View Post
    Thanks for your review.

The Instinct has a moon phase widget.

None of the buttons stick on my or my nephew's GW-9400. Must be a sample variation issue.
    hey gary,
    i had three gw-9400 and two gwg-1000. they use about the same pushers, only vary in size. i think all had this problem. it occurs sometimes more often, sometimes less often. i guess this has to do with the metal itself contracting under different temperatures? they stick, you push it, its smooth for some hours. might be also tiny dirt particles? no idea. its just happening.

with moon phase i meant tidegraph, my mistake, will correct it.

little update from 2.11.: got my 4th gw-9400 yesterday, 2015 model, longterm used. the pushers there are almost too soft and stick rarely. mainly the sensor pusher sticks. it seems, the longer and more often the pushers are used, the more soft and unsticky they become?
    Last edited by watch-ing; 2 Weeks Ago at 15:53.
    GaryK30, Servus and Dxnnis like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great review! I am still partial to the Vector but Garmin is moving in leaps and bounds to make some really great sports watches.
    watch-ing likes this.

Awesome review thanks!!

Garmin Instinct... "So good its almost boring". This is the foundation for any good field gear. It does what it's supposed to do every time, without surprises.

Thanks for your review and analysis of these four watches. A lot of material to digest. Looking forward to your further material on this subject matter over time.
    watch-ing likes this.

"All watches are quite incorrect in this matter, the PRG-40 to be the most slow and inaccurate. To me, thats ok. Its more of a gimmick anyways."

It wasn't clear to me what you were referring to with this statement, the text above all the pictures didn't seem to explain it, was it the compass function?

Quote Originally Posted by dwalby View Post
    "All watches are quite incorrect in this matter, the PRG-40 to be the most slow and inaccurate. To me, thats ok. Its more of a gimmick anyways."

It wasn't clear to me what you were referring to with this statement, the text above all the pictures didn't seem to explain it, was it the compass function?
    dwalby, the barometer mode. i calibrated all at the start to 300meters. in the end, they were inaccurate by 9-20meters. might be a problem, that i carried them in a backpack?

compass-wise: all calibrated models are inaccurate by some degrees, compared to a classic recta compass.

Quote Originally Posted by watch-ing View Post
    dwalby, the barometer mode. i calibrated all at the start to 300meters. in the end, they were inaccurate by 9-20meters. might be a problem, that i carried them in a backpack?
    I wasn't sure about the one you said took a long time to stabilize, but excluding that one you had two that read 309m and one at 310m (with 5m resolution) so that seems pretty consistent to me. If you have access to any hourly weather statistics for the day you did the test, look at the barometric readings for the time you were doing the test. I'd assume that the 10m change was due to barometric pressure changes from the start to the end of your experiment, which appears to have taken just over an hour. 10m of altitude increase would correspond to about 1mb of barometric pressure decrease, quite possible over an hour time.

The backpack would not affect anything. The fact that the two with 1m resolution agreed at the end of the test would suggest its likely that baro pressure is the explanation. Since the Suunto only has 5m resolution that's a little harder to use as an absolute reference, but I have that same watch and have found it to be quite accurate in general, to the limits of its resolution.

regarding practical usage of a baro altimeter, this post may help:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f374/a...l#post46379329

Thread Information