Question about the PRG 240(and Casio ABCs in general) - Page 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Question about the PRG 240(and Casio ABCs in general)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Question about the PRG 240(and Casio ABCs in general)

Hi all,
    Sorry for digging so old theme out, but could anyone explain the reason of rotating bezel on these models?
    Why it is rotating and how this rotating NSEW bezel can help and when?
    Is not it enough to have the ABC functionality?

I have a suspicion about 100% marketing here.

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by Bandido View Post
    Hi all,
    Sorry for digging so old theme out, but could anyone explain the reason of rotating bezel on these models?
    Why it is rotating and how this rotating NSEW bezel can help and when?
    Is not it enough to have the ABC functionality?

I have a suspicion about 100% marketing here.
    It's part of the compass feature, I believe it's described in the user manual.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    It's part of the compass feature, I believe it's described in the user manual.
    As I can see we have manual only for inner module not for exact model. That is why manual for 3246 module has everything about it's digital part and nothing about bezel usage. Even bearing route displayed in the left upper sector during the digital compass usage.
    Seem like rotating NSEW can be used only as some memo to compare current position with the previous one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

lvt

As I can see we have manual only for inner module not for exact model. That is why manual for 3246 module has everything about it's digital part and nothing about bezel usage. Even bearing route displayed in the left upper sector during the digital compass usage.
    Seem like rotating NSEW can be used only as some memo to compare current position with the previous one.
    Quoted from an old thread about the PRG

Quote Originally Posted by Watch_Geekmaster
    There are 3 types of compass bezels in Protrek watches. For example: the PRG270 has the fixed bezel with normal compass rose; the PRW3500 mentioned here has a rotational bezel with normal compass rose; and the PRG550 has a fixed reverse compass rose bezel.
    Digital Protreks usually use a pointer mark on the outer edge of the display to indicate North in the compass mode. Analog Protreks usually use the second hand to point to North in the compass mode. All Protreks also display the heading where the 12 o'clock position of the watch points to..For a fix bezel, to use the bearing on the bezel you have to rotate the entire watch so that "N" on bezel coincide with the North pointer on display. But doing so, you lost track of your original 12 o'clock heading..For a rotational bezel, you can rotate the bezel so that "N" on bezel coincide with the North pointer on the display, then you can read the bearing directly from the bezel. At 12 o'clock the bearing on the bezel should match the heading measurement on the display..For a reverse compass rose bezel, the bearing on the bezel where the North pointer is pointing, is the 12 o'clock heading and should match the displayed heading measurement. You don't need to rotate the bezel or the watch for this case..Anyway, all 3 types of bezels are secondary tools for reading the bearing, in addition to what's being displayed. Most would either just ignore, or not know how to use properly.
    Bandido and Dxnnis like this.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Yup. I did understood right.
    So, if you have a bearing mark on digital face as NW for example, you can compare it to your rotating bezel position, which was made previously.

lvt

Yup. I did understood right.
    So, if you have a bearing mark on digital face as NW for example, you can compare it to your rotating bezel position, which was made previously.
    Honestly the most advanced operation I've ever done with a wristwatch is to track a third timezone using the 24-hour bezel. I don't have the PRG to test the theory but as he said, you don't have to rotate the watch itself if it has the rotating bezel.

So am I, actually. This is common, I think.
    Just wanted to know more than usually.

lvt

It's worth noting that the bezel on this watch doesn't click, it's smooth operation because a 120 clicks bezel can't be accurately used with a 360° compass.

I'm not fond of smooth bezels, they would become loose over the time.

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    It's worth noting that the bezel on this watch doesn't click, it's smooth operation because a 120 clicks bezel can't be accurately used with a 360° compass.

I'm not fond of smooth bezels, they would become loose over the time.
    Well I must be lucky my old Seiko Landmaster smooth rotating compass bezel has never fell off after 7 years of Canuck deep freeze winters.

Then again we're talking about Casio Protrek here, where we all know the outer bezel is just glued on even on the expensive Manaslu lol!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information