Seeking solar-powered conservatively styled watch
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Seeking solar-powered conservatively styled watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    When I was a child I had a 4-button digital Casio with all the features I ever needed. I switched over to mechanical watches for a few years (wore a Seiko 5 for a decade) and have recently bought a relatively high-end mechanical watch (high beat, power reserve indicator, day/date displays) - but as it has a leather strap and many polished surfaces, I need something less delicate to wear daily.

I realized I miss having quartz accuracy, a stopwatch, timer and alarm, so I'm considering making the daily an electrical watch this time round. So here's what I'm hoping for:

- Solar powered (no frequent battery changes)
    - Metal strap (any other material never lasts longer than a few years with me)
    - Subdued/elegant styling (no extreme or ultra-sporty styling like on the G-Shock - this is a watch I wear mainly at the office)
    - Waterproof enough for swimming
    - Stopwatch, timer, alarm
    - Ideally a barometer or weather prediction function
    - Budget around $500, but under $200 would be better

The Tissot T-Touch solar does everything I want but costs around €1000 in my country and over €800 online so no go.

I've found the Casio wave ceptor WVA-M640D-2AER which is almost perfect except for the plastic body, lack of barometer, and 1-hour stopwatch limit (I would prefer a 24-hour stopwatch).

I know most smartwatches will do what I'm asking, but I'm looking for a watch with a conventional battery life (months) not phone-like battery life (days) with frequent charging required. And I get the feeling any smartwatch we buy today will be obsolete in under 3 years.

Any suggestions are welcome 😁

Re: Seeking solar-powered conservatively styled watch

I am suggesting these since you mention the WVA-640D.

These are Japanese domestic versions of the WVA-640 but they are better as they are SS (some are Titanium) and some have sapphire. Most of these can do a strap change with a 20mm strap as well. My personal favorite is the 300D based on looks alone as I'm not really into dress watches.

Casio Lineage LCW-M100D. These come in Stainless steel, with mineral crystal. You can have them with sapphire, and some are titanium with sapphire. You must pay close attention the suffix at the end of the model numbers to make sure you get the version you want. There are plenty of threads denoting which is which. I will tell you that the titanium versions are not hard coated like the Oceanus line so they will scratch more than the SS versions.

Or the Casio Lineage LCW-M300D

If you want you can bump to a newer version of the 100 there is the 500TD. But it has an integrated bracelet so there is no option for a strap change.

The newer version of the 300D is the 600D. The 600D can do a strap change as it does not have integrated bracelets.

There is a whole bunch of Lineage watches available. You can also go up market with the Casio Oceanus line that will put most Swiss brands to shame. But those can cost you. My current favorite Oceanus is the T200. It is SS and has standard lugs that allow strap changes. The other cult favorite is the S100. It is titanium but has integrated lugs so there is no chance for a strap change with this one.
    Rocket1991 and LMF5000 like this.
    Casio/ Citizen/Garmin /G-Shock/ Seiko

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Casio Lineage, some Edifice, Citizen and Casio Oceanus/Citizen Atessa for higher end.
    Search them and pick style.
    analog watches with barometer do exist but they won't fit your budget.
    LMF5000 likes this.
    It should be special!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocat View Post
    I am suggesting these since you mention the WVA-640D.

These are Japanese domestic versions of the WVA-640 but they are better as they are SS (some are Titanium) and some have sapphire. Most of these can do a strap change with a 20mm strap as well. My personal favorite is the 300D based on looks alone as I'm not really into dress watches.

Casio Lineage LCW-M100D. These come in Stainless steel, with mineral crystal. You can have them with sapphire, and some are titanium with sapphire. You must pay close attention the suffix at the end of the model numbers to make sure you get the version you want. There are plenty of threads denoting which is which. I will tell you that the titanium versions are not hard coated like the Oceanus line so they will scratch more than the SS versions.

Or the Casio Lineage LCW-M300D

If you want you can bump to a newer version of the 100 there is the 500TD. But it has an integrated bracelet so there is no option for a strap change.

The newer version of the 300D is the 600D. The 600D can do a strap change as it does not have integrated bracelets.

There is a whole bunch of Lineage watches available. You can also go up market with the Casio Oceanus line that will put most Swiss brands to shame. But those can cost you. My current favorite Oceanus is the T200. It is SS and has standard lugs that allow strap changes. The other cult favorite is the S100. It is titanium but has integrated lugs so there is no chance for a strap change with this one.
    Very informative post, thanks! I think I've re-read it 20 times before writing this reply

So, I've decided to take the M300D out of the running because there's no analog second hand. Although the M300D does have a 24-hour stopwatch instead of the 1-hour stopwatch of the other models (which was one of the things I originally mentioned), I'm putting greater emphasis on not losing the second hand as this is going to be my first quartz watch after 12 years of mechanical watches .

The M100D is a strong contender, the DE versions seem to have mineral glass and the DSE models seem to have sapphire. I'm strongly inclined to opt for sapphire (as I hate scratches on the watch glass, and this watch will be worn daily so will have a hard life). The models with "T" in the name seem to be titanium - I'm not going to opt for this because, as you said, it's not hardened - so it'll pick up scratches easily and make the watch look quite worn after a short while. Also the titanium versions are more expensive and don't seem to be very significantly lighter. I also like how this is an all-metal case instead of the plastic back of the 640.

Unfortunately the styling of the hands isn't as nice as on the 640. I've always really, really loved diamond hands as opposed to index or dauphine (illustration below). The 100 has hands that I find less attractive than the 640. Pity I have to choose what to compromise.

Name:  Bulova-hands-63-64.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  46.2 KB

500TD - even nicer case, but same problem with the hands. Strong contender nonetheless.

600D - not an option due to missing second hand again

(I'm writing the above partly as notes to myself when I start hunting for somewhere to buy them online in the near future. For quickly finding all the available models I'm using the Casio japan site translated to english courtesy of google - https://casio.jp/wat/waveceptor_watch/lineage/ ).

Oceanus - can't consider them as they lack the digital display and hence stopwatch, alarm, timer etc (which is the major plus of the other watches ).

Do you have any of the above in your collection? Any pics?
    Last edited by LMF5000; 1 Week Ago at 00:32.
    Rocat likes this.

Casio Protrek with a titanium band should last you years.
    Name:  Pathfinder.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  117.5 KB
    LMF5000 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LMF5000 View Post
    Very informative post, thanks! I think I've re-read it 20 times before writing this reply

So, I've decided to take the M300D out of the running because there's no analog second hand. Although the M300D does have a 24-hour stopwatch instead of the 1-hour stopwatch of the other models (which was one of the things I originally mentioned), I'm putting greater emphasis on not losing the second hand as this is going to be my first quartz watch after 12 years of mechanical watches .

The M100D is a strong contender, the DE versions seem to have mineral glass and the DSE models seem to have sapphire. I'm strongly inclined to opt for sapphire (as I hate scratches on the watch glass, and this watch will be worn daily so will have a hard life). The models with "T" in the name seem to be titanium - I'm not going to opt for this because, as you said, it's not hardened - so it'll pick up scratches easily and make the watch look quite worn after a short while. Also the titanium versions are more expensive and don't seem to be very significantly lighter. I also like how this is an all-metal case instead of the plastic back of the 640.

Unfortunately the styling of the hands isn't as nice as on the 640. I've always really, really loved diamond hands as opposed to index or dauphine (illustration below). The 100 has hands that I find less attractive than the 640. Pity I have to choose what to compromise.

Name:  Bulova-hands-63-64.jpg
Size:  46.2 KB

500TD - even nicer case, but same problem with the hands. Strong contender nonetheless.

600D - not an option due to missing second hand again

(I'm writing the above partly as notes to myself when I start hunting for somewhere to buy them online in the near future. For quickly finding all the available models I'm using the Casio japan site translated to english courtesy of google - https://casio.jp/wat/waveceptor_watch/lineage/ ).

Oceanus - can't consider them as they lack the digital display and hence stopwatch, alarm, timer etc (which is the major plus of the other watches ).

Do you have any of the above in your collection? Any pics?

You are welcome for the information.

No, I do not have any Lineage in my collection. I've just learned from others around here. If I do get one, it would be the 600D if I could find one that is not a negative lcd version. I prefer the hands on that one over the 300D. Plus the sapphire would be a nice bonus. But for about $100 less I could live the the 300D hands and mineral crystal. I'm not much of a bracelet guy especially on more affordably priced watches. I'd probably end up with the watch on a leather strap or a Nato.

FYI, the 500TD has integrated lugs if I recall.

Good luck on your search.
    LMF5000 likes this.
    Casio/ Citizen/Garmin /G-Shock/ Seiko

After much deliberation, I've narrowed it down to three models.

1. The original one that started this, the WVA-M640D-2AER:

Name:  640.png
Views: 43
Size:  208.1 KB

Pros - most attractive colour, buttons and hands, 10 bar water resistance
    Cons - plastic body, mineral glass, steel cladding and strap

2. The all-metal-body, titanium sapphire version, the LCW-M100TSE-1A2ER:

Name:  100 numerals.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  46.7 KB

Pros - Titanium body and strap, no plastic. Sapphire glass. Roman numerals make it easy to read the hour quickly.
    Cons - only 5 bar WR (not 10), round buttons (I prefer elongated), black face (I prefer blue, but no blue in the M100 lineup), costs €60 more than the above

3. Same as above but with markers instead of numerals, the LCW-M100TSE-1AER:

Name:  Screenshot_2.png
Views: 46
Size:  206.4 KB

Everyone I asked said option 1 was the most attractive, but I'm inclined to go for option 2 because the plastic body is more off-putting than the other design elements (and it would be cool to have my first titanium watch). However the plastic one has superior water resistance?
    Rocket1991 likes this.

Lineage does not cost that much over waveceptor and they do have standard lugs, full stainless and better fit and finish.
    Totally worth any additional $ spent.
    Last edited by Rocket1991; 1 Week Ago at 01:55.
    It should be special!

2X post strike again...
    My lineage
    Name:  lineage.jpg
Size:  97.0 KB
    i posted short review of it on F17. Great watch. totally recommended.
    LMF5000 likes this.
    It should be special!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information