WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Speedmaster lcd (1977)

15K views 42 replies 12 participants last post by  Reno 
#1 ·
I've triple-posted this thread (in the Omega forum & HEQ but I realize this watch might not be considered "HEQ" towards subforum definition so I reposted the thread here. It's definitely a digital watch hey ? :) )

I've decided to take the bracelet off, so that I can use the watch (the bracelet is too small) I may put it on a NATO… :think:

So, here it is : a genuine Omega Speedmaster… LCD :)
This watch was produced only in 1977 and it went with 2 or 3 different cases…

I inherited the watch from one of my uncles who passed away in 1994. I only got the watch last year, but never paid much attention to it because by the time my interest for quartz watches wasn't high. But now, I feel again some interest for this little thing, and I plan to check if it's still running fine. If batteries bring it to life, I shall put it on a NATO and it'll rejoin my current collection :)

Here are some pics

But before that, a bit of cleaning would be nice… the steel pieces are going in the ultrasound machine.

See less See more
#4 ·
:-d yes

the "unadjusted" brought a smile to my face, too ;-)

Looking again at the picture made me realize a slight "cleaning" would be highly necessary :think:
The lugs were dirty as hell…

#5 ·
That's a great Omega that you don't see pop up too often. It doesn't look like there is any corrosion from old batteries, so hopefully it will come back to life with no issues. I'm looking forward to seeing it all cleaned up. :-!
Yes. Can you believe the watch never got open for more than 10 years (at least since 1994), and… no LEAKS ! :)

Well there was a tiny bit of green, you can see it on the right screw, but really not that much :think: rather impressive…

#6 ·
I really wish some high-end watchmakers would get into (or back into) digitals. Ventura tried before they died.

So much could be done if digitals were marketed in the $1000 up to $10,000 price range. Things I'd like to see in such a beast:

- low volume, truly unique displays
- high grade movement materials aimed at a digital watch with a 150+ year life
- accuracy quotes in seconds per year
- lighting mechanisms aimed at lasting the life of the watch or being easily serviced
- pushers/buttons aimed at lasting the life of the watch or being easily serviced

I know there are a few digital watches that touch over the 1K mark and Tag Heuer and some others have a token model or two. I want to see a true digital renaissance.

#7 ·
I really wish some high-end watchmakers would get into (or back into) digitals. Ventura tried before they died.

So much could be done if digitals were marketed in the $1000 up to $10,000 price range. Things I'd like to see in such a beast:

- low volume, truly unique displays
- high grade movement materials aimed at a digital watch with a 150+ year life
- accuracy quotes in seconds per year
- lighting mechanisms aimed at lasting the life of the watch or being easily serviced
- pushers/buttons aimed at lasting the life of the watch or being easily serviced

I know there are a few digital watches that touch over the 1K mark and Tag Heuer and some others have a token model or two. I want to see a true digital renaissance.
AND BATTERIES LASTING AS LONG AS MY CASIO'S ;-) (nearly 7 years)

Because low-longevity batteries is the main thing that keeps me from quartz watches, now :-(
I don't want to change a battery every year. DON'T.

#10 ·
closest thing you guys got to that is this one:

http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-SBPG001/SEIKO_Power_Design_Project_Solar_SBPG001.html

solar and stuff only thing that bugs me is the back is like a snap back. not a screw back or at least held by 4 screws. That way can replace the rechargeable battery ourselves. someone did a review and said it felt solid not like those cheapo look alikes. Rare to see such a vintage style with that quality these days.

I'm not sure how this is 100m water resist with a snap back though, prying off my other snap backs, i've ruined the rubber seal before. augh.

#11 ·
Ah yes. Didn't we saw a review on WUS recently about that one ?

seems pretty nice :think:

#13 ·
That's pretty much the highest end i've seen for that style in the last while. Its going to be hard to convince omega to put out a 70's style digital watch in the price of 1k+ these days. Even the "normal" public would look at it and scratch their heads. That seiko probably has a very selective market already making an even higher priced one would be a tough sell.

#15 ·
I've finally found cheap batteries (I mean less than the usual 16€ each we usually pay here in France :-| ) actually 10 for 4,19€ :-d \o/

So I hope the batteries will bring the watch to life :think:
The contacts seem in a pretty good condition...

If it works, the next step will be to buy a bracelet extension... because putting the watch on a strap won't be a good thing, considering the strange shape of the lugs/case :think:

we'll see... I'll keep you guys posted :)

#20 ·
#16 ·
IT'S ALIVE !!! \o/ \o/ \o/

I've received the batteries for the Omega (there must have been a mistake, there was 2 SETS of 10, so that makes 20 batteries for less than 5€ :) )

I've taken the contacts off, put the two batteries in (I've learnt very recently that one of the batteries is dedicated for the sole light, which seems to drain a considerable amount of energy on its own), put the contacts back and…

Tadaaaaaa !

This is the "date" mode (14th)
The day is pointed by a little arrow (today is Saturday, right !)

The watch is currently set on 24h mode, but there's a AM/PM mode which can be selected via a jumper, on the module.

This is the "seconds" mode

"Chrono" mode (sorry for the blurry effect, I realize it's not that easy to take good pictures of a LCD :think:
The chrono mode is activated by pressing three times the pusher on the upper left (therefore "chrono 3x" written on the dial) back to "hour mode" by pressing again three times the pusher.

The chrono mode can run in "hour mode", when it does, there's a little star which appears between the minute and the seconds/date :-!

I initially intented to put the watch on a NATO, but due to the specific shape of the case, it might look weird, so I'll stay with the bracelet. But I must find an extension, because it's really too tight right now :think:

Reactions: busmatt
#19 ·
:thanks kiwi

Congrats! Glad that it worked for you.

It's interesting that AM/PM vs 24HR is a jumper rather than a pushbutton choice.
Thanks G, yes, the jumper is quite unusual for me... on my CASIO Melody Alarm, a combination of two pushers does the trick.
Anyway, I'm more of a 24h guy so I've kept it that way :)

#21 · (Edited)
Hi again everyone !

I'm very pleased tonight, because I received the clasp extension

and it worked really well :) :) :)

The device comes with two spring bars, but I only used one, for I already got one at the end of my bracelet.

Sorry for the extremely crappy pics but I just want to share :-d

This is the device, inside view :

The clever thing is that more than the additionnal length it gives to the clasp, there's a sort of elastic extension inside, that provides extra length (I don't know if I'm clear)

"extented"

From the outside, it's not shocking…

again, "extended"

I'm so pleased :) I'll be able to wear the watch again :-!

Reactions: ronnypudding
#23 ·
:thanks Gilius

I initially wanted to put it on a black leather strap, but I'm afraid the shape of the case will be a problem, visually :think:

Anyway, I'm wearing it today :)

Attachments

#25 ·
Yep :)

Anyway, I should begin to make my own straps anytime now ;-)

I have a Radiomir homage coming and I suspect the strap will have to be changed...
I want to make one for my Pilot too, another for my square U-boot...

Maybe another one for the Yema Meangraf (some sort of rally/bund I have in mind :think: ) so I guess I could imagine something for the Speedy LCD... with two little notches going in the case "cutting" :think:

#26 ·
Today's pics

:)

#27 ·
Temperature question...

Hi guys,

I apologize if my question seems obvious or stupid for you electronic guys ;-) but I've realized something weird, something I wouldn't have suspected from a quartz watch. My Speedmaster LCD loose time when left alone o_O

Here is the question : does temperature affects a quartz watch precision ? :-s

It looses an incredible amount of time when it stays in the box o_O

I haven't done precise tests, but it's way behind my other watches, I'm talking nearly 10 minutes late after a month :-x

The temperature at home is not siberian (I mean it must be around 20°C, it's not that frisk).

Today, I've run another test : I have the watch on my wrist

and for now, the watch hasn't lost a single second comparing to the computer clock :think: :-s

So I guess my body temperature must interfer in some way ? o|

Can somebody settle this ? :think:

#30 ·
Congrats on bringing it back to life. I like it just as it is. :-!
:thanks Dictator

Well, the scar is a bit of a problem, but otherwise it's a nice little watch :)
And it was a great pleasure indeed to bring it back to life after a relatively slow process :)

So your thinking that your body temp is keeping it running accurately?
Well, I was surprised to see it keeping time accurately after loosing so much over the weeks :think:

Temperature was the only conclusion I could come up with... movement wouldn't obviously be affecting an object with non-moving mechanical parts, right ? :think:

It's weird... :-x

#32 ·
I believe so.

Actually, I haven't seen anything like that on my other quartz watches… including my faithful CASIO Melody Alarm that works flawlessly since 1986 :-!

To be honest, I was amazed when the Omega went back to life… I really didn't know what to expect after I put the new batteries in… it was really a moment of pure joy :) so I'm happy with it.

Plus the only thing that really matters is that it's consistent when I have it on my wrist :)

A Omega family picture (different eras) :

Seamaster Cosmic / Speedmaster Pro 3573 / Speedmaster LCD Cal.1620

#33 ·
I haven't taken this one out of the box for a loooooong time… :)

The deeply damaged cristal :-$

"Cal. 1620"

#38 ·
I completely missed these posts, sorry guys :-x

Agreed. But I've learnt to live with it for now :-(

I may change it if I stumble on a new dial :think: oh well…

You should have seen the watch when I inherited it :roll: my uncle used to smoke a lot :-x
It took me quite a long time to clean the watch but I think the result ain't that bad :)

Awesome piece, Reno! Hold on to that one!
Thanks Beau. I will ;-)

Nice watch, but dont you think its going to look weird on a NATO strap?
I abandoned the idea because of the case shape ;-)

Looks like a keeper to me.
Thanks Ronald, it sure is :-!

#36 ·
Nice watch, but dont you think its going to look weird on a NATO strap?

#39 ·
i've seen similar "extension" on the clasp with some divers' watch. my BM has one. for divers, it is used so as to accommodate wet suits given that you have an SS bracelet which is "fixed" in size compared to other "adjustable" straps like nato or the classic rubber straps.

it is a SEAMASTER so maybe my hunch is that the design of the extension clasp is also for dive suits. very clever to think about the small details like this for omega. :)

rem

#40 · (Edited)
Well, not exactly… it's a Speedmaster, actually ;-) with no WR, so no wetsuit for this one.

The expansion clasp is 100% aftermarket :-d

The story behind it is : my uncle had a bit smaller wrist than me, so the bracelet was a link too short, but I couldn't find a replacement bracelet (I didn't want one, actually) ;
I didn't want to order a new one from Omega either, as I knew it'll take ages and would cost too much :-x

So began the looooooon search to find a solution. I remember posting this question on several subfora (digital, straps, omega…) :)
I was so relieved when I discovered those expansion clasps :-!

I got it from this shop : Atlantime : Bracelet montre, outils horloger, coffrets pour montres et fournitures d'horlogerie

but they seem to be out of stock now :think:

#41 ·
Speedmaster cal. 1620

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.