Suunto X-Lander
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gaijin

Thread: Suunto X-Lander

Suunto X-Lander

Hi,

I'm new on this forum so I'd like to say "Hello" and "I'm so sorry for my english" at the beginning :)

I am a happy, new owner of the secondhand silver, supershining Suunto X-Lander in a great condition. X-Lander seems to be an awesome watch, but few things are bothering me.

1) Right upper button is the select mode button. Is there any way to go back to the time mode avoiding compass mode with high power consumption, If we are in altimeter mode?

2) Suunto has mineral glass face, which should be scratch resistant. I'm very carrefoul with that watch but unfortunately I've noticed some scratches on it, wchich aren't before. I don't remember when it happened. Is it normal that it scratches so easy? Is there any way to protect it? (polycarbonate foil, etc.)

3) Water resistant. I have read that X-Lander can be taken into the water for swimming without any obstacles. The battery cover is scratched so it seems to be replaced couple times before, so I don't know if it's still water resistant. Should it be taken to the watch-shop for the pressure test before swimming? What about silicone on the gasket, should it be oiled?

4) Outer ring shows seconds in time mode. These seconds are shown in strange way: 1-2-3-2-1...1-2-3-2-1...1-2-3-2-1... I used to use wind rose beazel for simple timer, but in that case it is useless. Is there any way to change that showing from tripple to single mode?

5) Altimeter/Barometer. Is it normal that during my 8h work at one place my altitude differs with almost 30- 50 meters? I know that altitude is taken from the air pressure, but is there any way to correct it somehow? In manual I've found that with unstable air pressure the barometer mode should be set. Should it be set pernamently, or just some setting should be turned on?

Thanks.
    Last edited by goguluss; March 8th, 2012 at 21:19.

Re: Suunto X-Lander

Quote Originally Posted by goguluss View Post
    Hi,

I'm new on this forum so I'd like to say "Hello" and "I'm so sorry for my english" at the beginning :)

I am a happy, new owner of the secondhand silver, supershining Suunto X-Lander in a great condition. X-Lander seems to be an awesome watch, but few things are bothering me.

1) Right upper button is the select mode button. Is there any way to go back to the time mode avoiding compass mode with high power consumption, If we are in altimeter mode?

2) Suunto has mineral glass face, which should be scratch resistant. I'm very carrefoul with that watch but unfortunately I've noticed some scratches on it, wchich aren't before. I don't remember when it happened. Is it normal that it scratches so easy? Is there any way to protect it? (polycarbonate foil, etc.)

3) Water resistant. I have read that X-Lander can be taken into the water for swimming without any obstacles. The battery cover is scratched so it seems to be replaced couple times before, so I don't know if it's still water resistant. Should it be taken to the watch-shop for the pressure test before swimming? What about silicone on the gasket, should it be oiled?

4) Outer ring shows seconds in time mode. These seconds are shown in strange way: 1-2-3-2-1...1-2-3-2-1...1-2-3-2-1... I used to use wind rose beazel for simple timer, but in that case it is useless. Is there any way to change that showing from tripple to single mode?

5) Altimeter/Barometer. Is it normal that during my 8h work at one place my altitude differs with almost 30- 50 meters? I know that altitude is taken from the air pressure, but is there any way to correct it somehow? In manual I've found that with unstable air pressure the barometer mode should be set. Should it be set pernamently, or just some setting should be turned on?

Thanks.
    Welcome to the Forum, goguluss! Your English is perfectly understandable, no reason for apologies.

1) No. I simply push the upper right button 3 times rapidly to get back to Time mode, thus avoiding staying in Compass mode for any more than a moment. There is no shortcut back to Time mode.

2) It does have a Mineral Glass crystal, but with any surface, scratches can occur. There are clear crystal guards on the market that are made of clear material that stick to the crystal with static force. Here is one example: Assortment of Watch Crystal Protector Sheets You may be able to find others on ebay or through a Google search.

3) Yes, you should use Silicone Grease on the battery cover gasket. You can purchase new gaskets from Suunto or Suunto suppliers if your gasket does not look in good repair. Your watch is probably still water resistant if the gasket is not damaged and it is lubricated with Silicone Grease. However, the only way to be absolutely sure is to have the watch pressure tested.

4) Unfortunately, we are stuck with this funny seconds display. It derives from the desire by Suunto to have 36 segments in that part of the display to more accurately represent Compass points (360/10=36). I don't like it, either, but no way to change it.

5) With any Altimeter based on air pressure, the Altimeter display will change with changing weather. The best strategy is to re-calibrate the Altitude reading as often as possible based on known altitudes.

Hope you find this info helpful.

gatorfan likes this.
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

Re: Suunto X-Lander

Welcome to the forum goguluss!

Considering the altimeter-drift - it is very easy to recalibrate when you're at the same elevation - simply go into the sea level pressure screen - press adjust and then leave the adjust screen right away without making an adjustment - the watch then recalibrates it's current elevation and the altimeter should show the same value it showed when you arrived at that height. So you really only need one of two values to calibrate it: either your height or the sea level pressure. I used this way of calibration when last time visiting the in-laws - calibrated the watch when we left, calibrated it upon arrival (this time using the altimeter - go into adjust mode on altimeter and leave right away - sea level pressure gets recalculated) - then we stayed over night - calibrated the watch before we went back to erase the overnight-drift (using sea level pressure calibration) - arrived at home and the altimeter was spot on - works great if you know how and it sounds more difficult then it is. As long as you stay at the same height - use sea level pressure to calibrate - when moving to a different location use the altimeter calibration to recalculate sea level pressure. This is the biggest flaw on all Casio altimeters - you can't do it like that on a Casio. That's why I love my X-Lander (never cared much about the strange seconds chapter ring). Only thing that might be confusing is that you need the barometer to calibrate the altimeter when you don't change position and the altimeter to change the values of the barometer (sea level pressure that is - you don't normally need to calibrate absolute pressure) when you do arrive at a different location/height. There's a very nice instruction video for the Vector on youtube - it has the same module as the X-Lander:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtFhVm-wyCc

cheers, Sedi
    Last edited by Sedi; March 9th, 2012 at 00:04.
    Cheers
    Sedi

Thread Information