upgrading my Garmin Fenix 3
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: upgrading my Garmin Fenix 3

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

upgrading my Garmin Fenix 3

Hello all,
    So I may be in the market for a new watch and was thinking of getting one of the new Garmin Fenix 5's. Not sure if i'd get just a 5 or 5x or bump up to the 5+ or the 5x+. I currently have a fenix 3 that i've had for about 4-5 years. I know the 5 series is quite the upgrade from the 3 and I know the whole "is it worth it" question is subjective and based on the person's needs.

I'm not much of an outdoor advenuterer but do love all the features on the Fenix. I do like the new color topo maps and turn by turn directions it can do. Is there a software update for the fenix 3 so it can do that?

Just wondering if anyone has upgraded from the 3 and if you're happy you did. Also wondering if the + series is that much better than just the 5 series.

Thank You.

Re: upgrading my Garmin Fenix 3

I went from a Fenix 2 to a Fenix 5s and I love it. I wear it much more often because of the smaller size, and the optical heart rate and wifi syncing is sweet. I'm not sure what kind of interface you were using on the Fenix 3 but the current Garmin app is easy to use and offers some cool features (the run trainer stands out the most for me).

I use the 5+ as my daily wear and I couldn't be happier. I would recommend it for sure.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

i'd wait to buy ...

Garmin just released their new 945 for $600 (which will probably be my choice) and a new Fenix 6 is due out ... given Garmin packed all of their new hardware & software features of their $2500 Marq watch into the $600 945, I'm guessing the Fenix 6 will have all of that (new chipsets, sensors, fitness features) plus some new stuff (and maybe fancier case) for ~$800.

Personally i'll probably still get the 945 due it being lightweight and smaller as I'd rather have the features without the bulk since I wear a nicer analog on the other wrist (when I need both)

This is a personal choice, Go for what you love.

As much as i'd like to wait for a new Fenix model. I'm not sure i have the time. I have a promotion i'm trying to meet to earn 40,000 airline points and was thinking of getting a new watch cause it would get to the dollar threshold i needed and i'd get a new watch, haha.

But if there is a new Fenix 6 possibly coming soon, then maybe i can wait on the upgrade and meet the threshold another way.

also that FR945 looks pretty cool.

HAQ and AW moderator

My 2 cents would be 945 or wait for Fenix 6.
    WES51 likes this.

I used to have a Fenix 3, and later on sold it when I upgraded to my current Fenix 5X. For me, the major plus is the wrist based oHR and map / navigation capability.

Wrist based oHR has its own accuracy issue from time to time, but its mostly accurate. And I basically don't use my HRM RUN chest strap much any more even though the chest HR strap would give me more data / matrix.

The map / navigation got me out of trouble doing my runs more than a few times when I thought "oh, making the turn that I don't usually do to explore new route seems like a good idea now" ... i.e. ended up getting lost or running much further than I planned. One time, at band camp, it started raining lightly during a run, I used the watch to find the fastest way back to car, and barely made it to car when it started pouring (that socal thunder storm week)!

Better screen (color rendering), faster UI response, quick change strap, all are good and they are icing on cake.

Even though Fenix 5 plus got basically what Fenix 5X has to offer in a smaller package, but I think 5X still has longer battery life. Since I don't daily my 5X, and only use it for activities and travel, size is manageable for me.

Its a worthy upgrade (for me).

WES51 and Nemo_Sandman like this.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Quote Originally Posted by panerai104 View Post
    But if there is a new Fenix 6 possibly coming soon, then maybe i can wait on the upgrade and meet the threshold another way.

also that FR945 looks pretty cool.
    has to be coming - garmin just released 5 new watches with Marq tech and yesterday Garmin discounted their existing Fenix stock:

Amazon is currently offering the Garmin fēnix 5S 42MM GPS Smartwatch for $349.99 shipped
    the Plus version of Garmin’s fēnix 5S GPS Smartwatch, pick it up for $649.99 shipped, which saves you $150 from the going rate and drops the price to a new all-time low.

So basically you can get a brand new 945 with new hardware / software and more features than the 5S+ for $600 or an actual 5S+ for $650

I'm not a former Fenix 3 owner, but I recently went through the purchase decision of F5 versus F5+, and wound up spending the extra cash to jump up to the +. I was upgrading from the FR230, so it was a huge leap both in features and form factor.

For me, the calculus came down to the + having a few goodies that tipped the scales:
    - Ability to store music (with Spotify) and connect to BT headphones. I abhor running with my phone on me, and this would free me up from that.
    - Contactless payments - same as above, there are times I want to pack light for a run (key in a small pocket), and having some measure of backstop if I need to stop for water/food gives good piece of mind.
    - Mapping in a smaller form factor than the 5X. I have fairly slender wrists, and while I'm mostly intending for this to be a sports watch, I wanted to have the option to wear it casually as well, and the 5X looked like I was wearing a dinner plate.

I had some REI credit to use up, and they only had the F5+ in sapphire, so it was a $250 jump from base to +, rather than the $150 to get the glass model. Even so, I felt that there was enough value that I happily spent the premium.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information