WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

PRICE DROP x2: Vintage 1960s Zenith Ref. A273 Cal. 146HP Chrono w/Stunning Silver Dial

2K views 22 replies 1 participant last post by  tomvox1 
#1 ·

Up for sale is this rare and beautiful 1960s Zenith reference A273 chronograph with famed in-house caliber 146HP and gorgeous silver "scientific" dial. The 146HP column wheel chronograph movement was Zenith's flagship 3-register caliber before they developed the El Primero automatic chronograph movement later in the '60s. Further adding to this watch's allure is the large all-stainless steel screwed case with period correct signed Zenith crown. And of course the pièce de la résistance is the stunning silver dial with fine Tachymeter calibration and almost Bauhaus layout to the very detailed registers, which just communicate scientific precision to my eyes.

Overall, this classic Zenith chrono is in Excellent vintage condition with its stunning dial and a strong steel case with age appropriate wear that shows a light buffing at most. And since it was serviced relatively recently by my NYC Master Watchmaker and is operating beautifully it is ready for years' more faithful service for its lucky new owner. I will also guarantee the movement for 6 months of normal non-abusive use.

The asking price for this hard-to-find serviced steel Zenith A273 cal. 146HP chronograph is now even further DROPPED to just $4,450 USD OBRO, including fully insured FedEx shipping worldwide. Bank Wire always preferred but Paypal is also OK on this watch with split fees (+2% to the buyer - sorry, no FF). Other payment options upon application. Payment must be made in US DOLLARS. Watch will ship upon full clearance of the funds, as well as any necessary bank vetting.

CASE & BACK: Oversized yet elegant 37mm wide (not including crown) x 44mm long x 11.5mm tall all stainless steel 3-piece screwed case with straight faceted lugs and pressure-fit bezel. The case shows a little polish, perhaps a light buffing in the past and the edges might just be softened a little from years of wear. It exhibits the typical marks of a 50+year-old watch that has been worn regularly with some superficial scratches and one or two nicks but no serious dings - Excellent condition overall. The outer part of the dedication-free screw-in caseback also shows some superficial scratches but the patterned Zenith logo and case serial number are very sharp. - Excellent+ cosmetic condition. The inner case lip shows a bit of corrosion -perhaps it was worn without the proper gasket for a time? - but the inner back appears corrosion-free. The inner caseback has all the correct spare Zenith nomenclature of the period. At a very modern 37mm and with its large face this A273 wears extremely prominently and handsomely on any man's wrist and definitely makes a cultured and refined statement that few other chronographs do.

DIAL & HANDS: All-original and beautiful brushed silver dial with applied Zenith star logo, engine turned sub-registers & finely printed calibrations suitable for the sportsman or scientist. This lovely dial is in Excellent+ original condition with only some minor signs of wear to the edges and one small scratch on the edge of the minute counter sub-dial. Overall the dial has acquired a pleasing warmth to its original silver tone and rather than luminous material the applied bar markers are filled with enameled inlay, in this case a really attractive sort of ochre colored fill. These dials also came with black inlays but I definitely prefer the patina-like tone of this one's brown accents. Original non-luminous hour & minute hands are silver with black inlays while the sweep seconds chrono hand and sub-register hands are blued steel. All show only minor signs of age and are likewise Excellent+. This unique and highly legible Zenith layout is absolutely stunning and elegant - a real gentleman's chrono.

MOVEMENT: Famed in-house Zenith caliber 146HP column wheel chronograph movement with shock protection, fine regulation and 30-minute & 12-hour chronograph complications. Note also the oversized balance for improved accuracy. The nicely finished 17-jewel movement is looking very bright and clean and this fine and complex caliber was fully serviced by my watchmaker just last year. So of course it runs as it should, with strong power reserve, precision operation & reset of all chronograph features and with all time-setting and winding aspects working well. Therefore, I am willing to guarantee the movement for 6 months of normal, non-abusive use.

CROWN & PUSHERS: Original oversized Zenith-signed crown with correct logo of the period and nicely proportioned pushers are in Excellent+ condition with only minor wear. The push-in crown sits flush to the case, winds the movement and sets the time when pulled out as designed. The top pusher starts & stops the timer and the bottom resets it, as usual. The operation of both pushers is pleasingly crisp and firm and all counters reset to zero as they should.

CRYSTAL: Older unsigned low dome acrylic crystal has some residual scratches from the years even after being polished but no chips or cracks - Excellent condition.

STRAP: This cool Zenith chronograph comes on a wonderfully fitting and gently used honey brown leather strap with white contrast stitching, generic steel buckle and tons of life left to it. This classic Zenith chrono has a lug width of 19mm.

As a matter of policy, I make NO guarantees for the water resistance of this watch in any way, shape or form.

This great collector's Zenith A273 chrono is offered with a 3-day inspection period from the date of receipt and may be returned for a full refund (less any shipping costs incurred by the buyer). This refund is unconditional and once I get the watch back in exactly the same condition as it was sent to you, your money will be refunded. Of course, once the 3 days are over the sale will be considered FINAL.

Thanks for looking,
T.
tomvox1@hotmail.com

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.