Open Review of Seiko SKX007
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Open Review of Seiko SKX007

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Suspended

I thought I would kick off this review with some minimal information, opinions and pictures and leave it open for others to contribute, so please do. This watch has entered most people’s collection at some time and I don’t want to be the only voice for this one. Please share some pictures, opinions or experiences for this special model.

The SKX007 is a professional, ISO Diver rated to 200M WR. It shares a legacy of design history with previous models of Seiko Divers and has been in production for greater than a decade. In my opinion, this watch is a current icon of Seiko watches.

Dimensions

These dimensions were taken with a set of calipers. They are intended as reference only and may not be absolutely accurate to the tenth of the millimeter.

Crystal Diameter 31.5 mm
    Bezel Diameter 40 mm
    Case Diameter (no crown, 3-9) 42.5 mm
    Case Diameter (with crown) 45.5 mm
    Lug to Lug 46 mm
    Lug Width 22 mm
    Thickness 13 mm

Dial
    The dial is utilitarian in design with the intended purpose of maximum readability. The dial is a flat black/charcoal gray in color. There is some beveling in the day/date window. All information is printed directly on the dial. The SKX007J model contains the “21 Jewels” printed on the dial where as the K model does not. No chrome trimming and no gloss to create unwanted reflections or distractions. Index markers are a triangle at 12, ovals at 6, 9 and circles at remaining locations. The only splash of color on the dial is the wording “DIVER’S 200m” in a red/orange above the 6.

The chapter ring has a little more gloss to it with the minute indexes identified with the 5 minute indexes a slightly thicker white than the other lines.

The date/day wheels are black text on a white background. Days are present in 2 different languages with Saturday in a light blue and Sunday in red.

The hands are the traditional Seiko diver hands with the hour hand as sword style with a pointer on the end. The minute hand is arrow shaped also with a pointer on the end. Both are lumed and trimmed in chrome. The second hand is painted white from the center out to the business end. The remaining is black with a lumed circle on the tail. Although many don’t like this lumed portion on the back end of the second hand, I like it that way. It puts the circle in a nice location on the dial so that the circle on the hand does not clash with the circles as index markers on the dial. The white portion provides maximum readability against the flat black dial.

The lume on the dial and hands is quite phenomenal. At maximum intensity, it can cast a glow on the wall and will be readable for many hours through the night.
    The crystal is a flat Hardlex mineral glass with no AR coating. Even for mineral glass, it is surprisingly clear…as clear as sapphire in my opinion.

Bezel
    The bezel on the SKX007 is a thing of beauty. Again, designed for function rather than form, the insert is a flat black with white numbers and markers. The bezel is knurled completely around providing a great grip, even with wet hands. The bezel has 120 clicks and the action is equal to that of an instrument rather than a piece of jewelry.

Case
    The 0020 case has a very pleasing form and design. It is highly polished on both sides with an ever so slight bevel on the top where it joins the bezel. The top of the lugs are brushed. The crown guards incorporate a nice form from the case rather than a couple of pieces sticking out from the side of the case. The top half of the crown guards are angled to provide access to the crown. The crown is unsigned and simple in design with some knurling around the edge and a small bevel near the polished top. The underside of the case is polished and the classic Seiko tsunami is presented as a relief rather than an engraving or etching in the center of the case back.

Movement
    The movement is the venerable 7S26. The accuracy rating is something like +/- 25 seconds per day. User performance is better than that with probably an average of about +/- 10-15 seconds per day. This value is completely unscientific and is based on comments in watch forums. The movement is easily regulated to bring closer to a desired daily accuracy. There is much more information out there on the 7S movements, so I will just leave it at this.

Bracelet
    The stock jubilee bracelet is my one disappointment with the SKX007. I have not seen the stock President and Oyster so maybe they are better. They seem to be more expensive so maybe this is true. Of the 5 columns of links in the bracelet, the outer 2 are solid metal while the innermost link is just a folded ring of metal. The links are held together by conventional split pins. The center of the bracelet is polished flanked by the brushed outer links. The edge of the bracelet is polished. The end links that connect to the case are hollow. The fit of the stock end link to the lugs is not the best leaving a slight gap. The clasp is also disappointing with a tinny feel. It is a friction fit with a fold over security clasp. There is 5 adjustment holes which does permit for a custom fit. I do have to say that the fit of the Jubilee is extremely comfortable and does not pull my hair. The watch stays snug to my wrist and does not flop around. There are aftermarket bracelets available for this case which have a more solid design and nicer clasp.

Here are some pictures. Please feel free to add your own.

Re: Open Review of Seiko SKX007

I think I'm going for the rubber strap on this one. The bracelet looks too flimsy.

There is nothing wrong with the bracelet. it is light (as a result of the folded centerlinks), but it is definitely not flimsy. If you don't care for this bracelet, you can always source the watch with a President bracelet or an Oyster bracelets, both of which are heavier and progressively more solid. If you want even heavier duty, you can always source a Super Oyster or better yet, an Anvil bracelet (both of which are sold by Yobokies). As a general rule, it is better to source a watch on it's bracelet than on a rubber strap. It is always cheaper to source the rubber strap separately after the fact, than it is to source the bracelet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Suspended

...yes but very comfortable.
    omegaman2018 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Isthmus View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the bracelet. it is light (as a result of the folded centerlinks), but it is definitely not flimsy.
    It is also VERY comfortable...but you either love the Jubilee or you hate it. There does not seem to be much in between.

Consider either the Seiko President or Super Oyster bracelet. They are both more substantial than the Jubilee. I really like the looks of the President, but it is a little on the light side. If you really want a solid bracelet, get the Super Oyster. Here's some pics of my SKX173 (the SKX007's US cousin) on a Seiko President and on a Super Oyster (with Harold's solid end links).

On President ...

On Super Oyster ...
    Μολὼν λαβέ

The Jubilee bracelet, as mentioned, is LOVED by many - including me.

Let me state why: It's "light" construction makes it feel almost "liquid" on the wrist, the links moving extremely freely. It is a much smoother feel than an Oyster (I also have a vintage Rolex with an Oyster)

Also, for smaller wrists like mine, this "lightness" and smoothness is a perfect match for the sized-just-right case: Of all my divers, the 007 is the perfect size/weight combination. Feels just right on the wrist (even compared to the aforementioned vintage Rolex). And it looks damn good too! Depending on the light, you either see the strong brushed/polished contrast between the links, or the bracelet looks like it's almost built in one piece. And did I mention that the curve just below the crown is ab-so-lu-te-ly bee-oo-tee-full !

… well, just my 0.02, but this experience can be useful for those who, like I do, are searching for the perfect "feel" before the perfect look/built/etc

Some more shots:

Great review and great pics all of you .

I´m waiting patientlly for mine (yeah right, I want it now badly ). Hope it will arrive in a week, can´t wait to see it irl. Mine has the jubilee too, can´t decide if I like it or not yet, just have to wait and see...

great review nhoj.....................I like the light, flimsy, rattly SS bracelets!!! I have Seikos & Rolexes from the 1970's w/ those lightweight bracelets...IMHO more comfy to wear!
    Seiko dive watches & the 007, the affordable icons in the dive watch world!

Excellent review nohJ and input/pics from others.

I'd like to add that there are OEM strap options that take the original Seiko fat springbars:

1. The newer style Z22 wave vent strap w/ notched ends w/c is the stock rubber strap for the current SKX007

2. Another popular option is to use the older Z22 straight vent straps like those used on the older Seiko diver's (rare/discontinued??? but many replicas GL831, or still available ZTA05J, and some w/ steel keepers)

Sorry no personal pics from my old 007J

3. And there are other Seiko OEM straps not released with the SKX007 like the B22 that take fat springbars and fit the SKX007 (B22 - nice straight vent w/ steel keeper, found from a quick google image search for "seiko z22")

Sorry no personal pics

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information