CEM75002D Orient ‘Mako’ Diver (Blue)

Thread: CEM75002D Orient ‘Mako’ Diver (Blue)

Dimensions/Specifications
    45mm (47mm)/22mm/13mm
    200m Water Resistant
    Orient 21 jewel automatic movement
    $250

The Orient ‘Mako’ Diver comes in a soft white cardboard box with the Orient logo on it. The accompanying display box has a brushed aluminum top with the printed Orient logo and has a thin leather covering that is stitched at the top with rivets around the aluminum. Inside the box, it has white velvet lining and the Orient logo in foil on cloth inside the lid. The watch also come with a plastic tag with the Orient logo on one side and the model number on the back. This is a feature much like a high end watch company’s. The packaging is good and the display box easily closes with the watch inside.

The watch has a solid case with a nice polished finish. The case back is screw down with a polished edge and a brushed surface. There is a milled circle with Orient automatic on it and a hologram logo with the model number. I think the hologram is a very nice touch. Around the circle reads WATER RESISTANT 200M STAINLESS STEEL and ORIENT WATCH CO. LTD and below the name it has KY EM75-C1 CA V9, identifying the model of the watch. It did not have a serial number like the Mako. The crystal is flat and of mineral composition but does not have any AR coating. The case is very well done and the case back with the hologram is one of the features that really stands out on this watch.

The bezel is a deep navy blue with 60 clicks and has traditional diver markings. I found it easy to rotate. The screw down crown is an essential feature on any diver and Orient added one here. I also found the crown easy to unscrew and screw on. The first position is the date and the second is time. There is no wind position as is common with Japanese watches. The tip of the crown is not marked like on some Orient models.

The bracelet is brushed stainless solid link with polished edges consisting of a link of 3 pieces with the two outside at 5.5mm and the middle at 11mm. It fits nicely against the watch with a molded fitted link. I like that the bracelet does not taper. The links are not fused together which adds value to the watch. The buckle is a dual button release mechanism with a safety clasp. The Orient logo is on the brushed surface. The deploy buckle is thin stainless steel and although has a polished surface, was not finished and had slight imperfections in the steel. If this was finished it would look fine. I found the clasp difficult to close with the clasp needing to be forced in to the locked position. The mechanism on the release also tends to rattle. The deployment and the functionality of the buckle cheapens the watch despite the high quality of the bracelet.

The dial is the highlight of the CEM75002D. It radiates varying hues of blue. The markings are excellent and keep the look simple and classic. The raised Orient logo is well done in gold and red with excellent detail. Below the logo, Orient is in silver with automatic in script. The dial also has Water Resist in silver script with 200m. I particularly like the markings and the use of markers instead of numbers. By the 6 o’clock position it reads in small font JAPAN TM to the left and EM75-0000 T to the right. The lume on the watch was weak when tested. When fully ‘charged,’ it only lasted minutes. The hands are arrow shaped with lume centers and are polished. The seconds hand is also polished and has a circle with lume. I noted that the seconds hand comes to the exact far edge of the matching hour markers on the face as does the minute hand. The hour hand is just outside the tip of the hour marker. This is a sign of a well detailed watch.

The day is adjusted by the top button and is available in both English and Spanish, using a black 3 letter abbreviation for the day and red for Sunday on white. I prefer the use of the crown instead of a button function for the date. The day display does have somewhat of an angle to it and therefore does not sit in line with the date display. This is disappointing. The date button also tends to be sensitive as I found it switched the day with just a slight touch while testing the watch. The date is black on white and is adjusted from the crown. Orient uses the numbering that is common in Japanese models with the date sized to the window (ie. the 2 in 21 is bigger than in 22) instead of a consistent size. I am also not a fan of the font used in some Japanese movements, but I also expected that when I bought the watch.

Conclusion
    Positives: Case. Dial. Size
    Negatives: Buckle. Clasp. Day/Date function. Lume

The CEM75002D Orient Mako Diver is an excellent value at <$175 (not $250) for an automatic 200m watch. I like the look and feel of the watch. I am impressed with the functionality of the movement and the weight. I would rate the watch better (3+) if not for the cheap deployment buckle and the difficult clasp as well as the misalignment of the day/date. The dial of the watch and the bezel do make this watch stand out and the design is excellent. It is a classic Japanese diver that reminds me of a 1980’s model and will be an excellent substitute in my collection.

Rating
    2.5/5 (value buy)

Re: CEM75002D Orient ‘Mako’ Diver (Blue)

I wanted to post a follow up to this. I have worn the watch several days now and it seems to be keeping good time. The weight and look is very good, but the function date keeps changing while I wear it, usually to Spanish (the next 'click'). It seems that the button is very sensitive and as reviewed, I don't like the day/date function on this watch. The clasp seems to be working just ok and still needs to be forced in to place. I also noticed an unfinished sharp edge to the diploy buckle and as I had stated, I am unhappy with the lack of finish on it.

My final opinion is that this is an ok watch that could have been excellent with some attention to detail.
    Last edited by jonathancol; February 3rd, 2010 at 00:46.

Thread Information