CET05001W and CEM75001B (nato strap) mini review

Thread: CET05001W and CEM75001B (nato strap) mini review

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CET05001W and CEM75001B (nato strap) mini review

This is a mini review of the white multi-eyes and the big black "hogrider" mako on a NATO stap. This is not a review about features or movements, but about my honest impressions of these watches. I'm new (april, 2009) to watch collecting.

For a sub $100 watch, the CET05001W is an outstanding value. The dial is a very nicely detailed texture. The hands look black most of the time but glimmer with a fiery blue/purple shine. I love the domed crystal and the bezel is decently thin. The lumes look cool, but they don't seem to last long.

The watch wears small. Specs say 41mm ( I assume with crown), but it looks much smaller compared to my other watches. This is my biggest disappointment with the watch. The watch thickness is medium. It is not thin, but not tall. If it was thinner, the diameter of the case would not bother me as much. The watch has a good weight for such a small case. I was surprised by it.

The bracelet is fine for this price range. It only has a double button clasp and no foldover clasp, but it feels secure.

This is probably my first 21600bph (my other two are 28800bph) watch and it is a noticeably rougher sweep second hand. I wasn't sure my eyes would be able to discern the difference in beat resolution, but it did. I have not timed the accuracy of the watch, but I may do it later. It's accurate enough for my needs.

I realize dressier watches tend to be small, but if this watch felt like a 40mm (w/o crown) diameter, the multi-eye watch would be worth more to me than the retail price. As it is now, it is a good buy at sub $100 and I'm happy with what I have.

The CEM75001B is a big shiny watch. For me to wear such a big shiny watch, I would have to remove the bracelet. I think on bigger wrists, the bracelet would work. I quickly gave it a black nato strap instead. The nato strap tones down the bling and I find comfortable. My wife thinks it looks cheap with the strap, but to me it makes it more utilitarian.

I like the flat black of the dial. The bezel looks sharp and it is harder to turn than my citizen promaster, but feels solid. Fit and finish seems good. The day push button is a non-issue to me as I have not accidentally pressed it.

The lumes are pretty bad compared to my non-orient watches and I wish the bezel had a lume pip.

I like this watch a lot. It feels like a tank (that's a good thing).

Last edited by bluedevils; August 1st, 2009 at 04:23. Reason: fixing bad grammar

Re: CET05001W and CEM75001B (nato strap) mini review

The cet5001w is one that I have been eyeing for a while. I like the simple yet classy looks. Looking at your wrist shot it doesn't appear too small at all. In fact it looks a bit on the large size for a white dress watch. If I didn't have a rash of blue watches lately I would definitely pick one up (and probably will in the future).

I have the CEM75001 (blue). I was surprised by the lack of lume as well. It seems orient is going the wrong way with lume. My Dolphin has great lume, the Mako is adequate and the hogrider seems pretty deficient. Trying it on a nato strap is a bit more comfortable than the bracelet. Perhaps in the winter the bracelet will be better but In the heat of the summer My wrist size goes up and down too much for the 3 adjustment clasp. I'm trying to get used to the three ring zulu. For me it seems wth the strap excess on the side and the two rings at the top it seems to make the watch look to top heavy. I strpped it on with the extra piece going under my wrist rather than on top and seem to like it better. The Black version looks very sharp. Enjoy it well!
    "No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzai

Nice write up. Thanks for posting your impressions. The multi-eyes is a great looking watch! Looks perfecto on your wrist.
    "You've stolen my heart, yes You have, You've wiped away the stains, broke away the chains, yes You have!" Leeland

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Jbdan and DoctorC,

The CET05001W does fit me fine in general, but I have come to associate a decent watch with either being a thinner or a wider case size. I probably picked up that perception looking at everybody's wrists while taking the subway downtown to wall street, Manhattan.

DoctorC, for the price these things are going during the promotions, I would get one now. I don't think it is much of a risk for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedevils View Post
    Thanks Jbdan and DoctorC,

The CET05001W does fit me fine in general, but I have come to associate a decent watch with either being a thinner or a wider case size. I probably picked up that perception looking at everybody's wrists while taking the subway downtown to wall street, Manhattan.

DoctorC, for the price these things are going during the promotions, I would get one now. I don't think it is much of a risk for that price.
    That's not a good assumption to start off with when building your watch collection. Forget what you see other people wearing, wear what YOU like.

I probably didn't phrase that right. I see other people's watches and make my own opinion of how they look to me (decent looking to me). I mention wall street to give an idea of the range of watches I see (lots of rolex, tags and surprisingly swiss army). One thing I'm noticing is that most of them are quartz which would explain why so many are thin. Thin autos seem to be expensive or they're missing the lovely sweeping second hand (hamilton slim).

I recently bought an orient CEX0R001B and I like the size much better. I still like the multi-eyes alot, but I did wish it was a couple mm bigger or a couple mm thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by jay3429 View Post
    That's not a good assumption to start off with when building your watch collection. Forget what you see other people wearing, wear what YOU like.

You Orient fans are getting me interested.

And here I was thinking I could get by with one good Seiko diver.

Can you post a photo of your Orient CET05001W with a leather strap?

I think that would be absolutely beautiful.

Pradeep

Sorry,

I never bought a strap for it. I like it on the bracelet. My orient power reserve is getting a strap though, but not the multi-eyes. It has such a beautiful dial, I don't think anyone can be disappointed. Especially if it is on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedevils View Post
    Sorry,

I never bought a strap for it. I like it on the bracelet. My orient power reserve is getting a strap though, but not the multi-eyes. It has such a beautiful dial, I don't think anyone can be disappointed. Especially if it is on sale.
    Cool, I understand. Can you take a shot of the mechanism inside? Just for watch-pr0n lovers?

:) Sorry, I'm one of those who doesn't feel comfortable opening a watch. That's why my more expensive watches generally have see through casebacks. I'm sure with all these 50% off sales that someone will eventually take the cover off for you.

Quote Originally Posted by pradeep1 View Post
    Cool, I understand. Can you take a shot of the mechanism inside? Just for watch-pr0n lovers?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information