JDM Orient Star Retro Future (camera) WZ0031FH
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By jbdan
  • 1 Post By m0n0

Thread: JDM Orient Star Retro Future (camera) WZ0031FH

JDM Orient Star Retro Future (camera) WZ0031FH

Specs (taken from Orient JP)
    :

Mechanical: Orient caliber 46S54 (vs 46S50 in the non-JDM model)
    Self-winding
    No hack No HW
    23 jewels
    SS case and bracelet
    Crystal glass sphere (domed mineral)
    See through case back crystal
    40 hour reserve with indicator
    10 ATM water resistant
    Lumed hour/minute hands and indexes
    Accuracy +25 to -15 sec per day
    Case diameter 40mm
    Case thickness 13.2mm
    Lug width 20mm
    Bracelet width 20mm tapering to 18mm at clasp
    Weight 164g

Face/Dial/Bezel:

A very unique/interesting looking dial. It's looks inspired by the shutter on the 'age old' film camera. The shutter blades are visible throughout both the inner and outer black dial. That same inner dial also consists of 2 sub-dials at 12 and 6 o'clock with the 12 being a PRI and the 6 a seconds sub-dial. There is also a 'skeleton-dial' @ 9 o'clock and 2 small windows at 3 o'clock and within the PRI. There is much more skeleton in this watch than first meets the eye.

The bezel's indexes are in F/stops or “r” stops obviously inspired by the camera. If you know photography you know what “r” is. It is a uni-directional 60-click bezel and has excellent action.

The hour and minute hands are liberally lumed as well as 12 indexes around the clock. All indexes are bordered by 'chrome' (steel?). The PRI and seconds hands are chrome as well. The “Orient Star” font is way cool imo and is printed.

This first picture says it best.....there is a lot of detail in there.

Case/Crystal/Back
    :

Case work is very solid and I was actually amazed upon first opening. This is a heavy case....solid SS and a lot of it for a 40mm diameter size. With bracelet, which is not heavy we have 164 grams. Reaching Monster territory.

When viewing the watch from the top/dial, the case is highly polished on all vertical surfaces and on the underside. However, it is brushed satin on the horizontal surfaces including the bezel top. Note the side profile shots...one would think the entire watch was polished.

The odd looking hump next to the crown...you guessed it. It is reminiscent of a camera's shutter button. Note the shot with watch laying on it's side with crown up....looks like a camera ehh?

The crystal is, well like a camera lens' glass!! For me this is the one "con" for this model. Reflections are moderate to bad. Not so bad you can't tell time, but rather makes it not one of those “quick glance” time tellers. I do not know the thickness of the crystal, but it looks extraordinarily thick. Orient states it as a “convex crystal glass sphere.”

The case back is gorgeous. It is fastened with 4 screws and highly polished. The movement is clean, crisp, and decorated nicely as other OS's I have owned. As all the Orient's I have owned do, the rotor swings freely at all levels of power reserve. Once stopped, literally picking it up starts it again.

Crown is unsigned, knurled, and screws down.

Bracelet/Clasp:

This bracelet is one/many wild piece/s of SS. There are many wild designs on bracelets out there, but to me, this one takes the cake. It is very comfortable and very flexible. Like all my other Orient bracelets it has almost zero rattle. It uses split pins, is generously stock sized for up to 8.25” wrists, tapers to 18mm at the clasp and has solid end-links. The clasp has 2 fine adjustment holes, is brushed on top and polished on the sides. Text on the clasp is same font as on the dial. Unique to the retro line it looks like it is etched, rather then stamped like the other Orients I have owned.

Opinion:

This is one cool looking watch....one that received the wildest compliments while wearing. Certainly a unique look. It's accuracy OTB was fantastic. After 2 weeks set from atomic clock it was within ~5 secs. All my Orient automatics have been well within specs as far as accuracy.

The watch wears nicely with the bracelet, but I wanted to try this watch with some leather. I had great results with a Di-Modell Chronisimo and a black Toshi. Since the case is 13.2mm, for me, it looked best riding on the Toshi. The thick 4-5mm Toshi really balanced well with the case and lightened up the watch considerably.

The lume is great. It is a good as my Mako (which I think is very good) and easily lasted through the night. No it is not as bright as Seiko's Lumibright, but very close and as for longevity, albeit a touch dimmer, is the same.

I have sold this watch, as I did a lot of my collection, due to health reasons in the past. I am over that now and will one day add a retro design back to my collection. Orient creates too many attractive, accurate, unique timepieces to not own a design like this one.

There are other versions of this watch....4 to be exact....even an international version that looks exactly like this one. It's model # is YFH02001B and has a different caliber inside. Besides the different caliber I am really unclear on any other differences other than the model I reviewed is a JDM piece.

Thanks WUS for allowing me to do this!

Last edited by jbdan; July 14th, 2009 at 21:53. Reason: spelling
    mitadoc, Kazama and okiesdoki like this.
    "You've stolen my heart, yes You have, You've wiped away the stains, broke away the chains, yes You have!" Leeland

Re: JDM Orient Star Retro Future (camera) WZ0031FH

For a while now, this has been one of my favorite Orient designs. A hell of a watch and one solid chunk of metal. the only thing that's kept me at bay is it's size, which is borderline too big for me. one of these days I'll bite the bullet. Truly a spectacular piece. Thanks so much for this wonderful review.

Banned

Seriously beautiful piece you got there Dan! Thanks for the top notch review and Tamron/D90 pics!!!!

I hope one day Orient Watch USA puts one of these Retro-Future watches as part of their DOD and or VIP sales promotions. So far that hasn't happened.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It was my pleasure. I hope that my review/s help the potential buyer in some way as that is what I am after

I hope Orient continues their retro ways as I find their designs very exclusive, and the quality to match.
    "You've stolen my heart, yes You have, You've wiped away the stains, broke away the chains, yes You have!" Leeland

jbdan, you are killing me man Because of you there is already an Orient Star Classic on my 'to buy' list, and now this! I always thought this watch was way too funky and kinda ugly looking, but your pics are convincing me otherwise

I gotta earn more money...
    "Never go to sea with two chronometers; take one or three." - Fred Brooks
    My feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 View Post
    jbdan, you are killing me man Because of you there is already an Orient Star Classic on my 'to buy' list, and now this! I always thought this watch was way too funky and kinda ugly looking, but your pics are convincing me otherwise

I gotta earn more money...
    Heh

It looked too funky to me at first as well....kind of like most/all of the watches I own...I develop an attraction for pieces after window shopping on the internet months after I first see them

It's a unique watch indeed....one that could make you work harder/longer to earn your keep!

What a cool looking watch! Terrific photos too. I was really set on ordering the yellow OS300m but looking at your review and photos makes me want to get one of these too as it's so unique.

I didn't quite like this watch at first, but the has grown on me. It's an acquired taste I think, but once you understand it, it's phenomenal. :)

Quote Originally Posted by jay3429 View Post
    I didn't quite like this watch at first, but the has grown on me. It's an acquired taste I think, but once you understand it, it's phenomenal. :)
    It definitely is an acquired taste and most unique. I let this one go unfortunately, but I see a retro model in my foreseeable future

Thanks for this great review. I have the white dial version of this watch. You mention the convexity of the crystal as perhaps the one 'con' in the watch. I find the same feature actually one of the careful 'little details' Orient Star has put into the making of this watch that I appreciate the most. I think it adds greatly to the value of the watch. As someone who also loves cameras I find it really completes its lens and camera-like look. If you're an analog photography buff (this is after all consistent with loving mechanical watches) this watch is just so lots of fun to have. I still don't quite get the bracelet though. It is very 'flexible' as the links are relatively short but I don't get the design idea. Art-deco?

Name:  20141018.jpg
Views: 1545
Size:  236.8 KB
    Last edited by m0n0; October 18th, 2014 at 09:00. Reason: add photo
    Ahriman4891 likes this.

Thread Information