Orient CEM5J005D Review

Thread: Orient CEM5J005D Review

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Orient CEM5J005D Review

ORIENT CEM5J005D REVIEW

This is my first review for WUS. This is also my first Orient watch. I had never heard of the brand until about two weeks ago and after reading about the Mako's, Hogriders, Multi-Eyes, etc. I thought I'd give them a try. I went onto Amazon.com and hit "orient watch" and this was the first watch that came up. It is also the cheapest Orient watch ~$35 shipped. Sometimes one can get an idea of the base quality of a watchmaker by looking at their cheapest options, not just the top tier options.

Packaging:

Even this low cost watch came in a nice black Orient box with nice padding, instructions, international warranty. That was nice. Normally in this price range, one would expect a cheapie plastic housing. The package looked like what one would expect for a more expensive watch.

Band:

The included metal band is the standard thin clasp style bracelet that everyone seems to universally hate on WUS. I am too hairy to wear a metal bands (see pictures below), so I immediately replaced it with a 20mm nice leather band.

Case:

The body of the watch is stainless steel and it is good quality with appropriate thickness and heft. The watch is not that large - the face is 32mm and the entire length from lugs to lugs is 40mm. This is more on the size of standard watch than what we are normally used to - think 70's men's dress watches for size.

The case back has the multi-lug type of cover, which kind of reminds me of the divers watches. I tried to open the back to take a shot of the movement, but I could not get the darned thing open, even using the three prong tool I use to open divers. Scratched the back all to hell.

Crystal:

Standard flat glass, nothing special.

Crowns:

Simple, unadorned, easy to work.

Dial and Hands:

The dial is very blue. It ranges from comically blue to a dark, almost black looking blue. Looks nice, but I am not used to blue watches, so this has a strange feel to me. The hands and minute marks are shiny polished metal, which kind of adds to the 70's retro vibe this watch gives off.

Hands were properly set, so on the hour, the minute hand and hour hands perfectly align with the appropriate ticks.

The hands and dial have lume, but it sucks. It is so faint that even with a 3W UV LED light charge for 30 seconds won't keep it going for more than few minutes. I was very disappointed with the lume on this watch. Now I see why people rave about the lume on Seiko divers. Compared to this watch, Seiko diver lume is like a flashlight.

Movement:

I don't know much about the movement, other than it is made in Japan by Orient. I believe another WIS told me that it uses the same one found in the Mako. It runs smooth and seems to gain about +19 seconds/day, which I don't like, but can live with. My only other comparison is my Seiko SKX173, which gains only 4-5 seconds a day.

Overall:

Overall I am pleased. The watch does what it needs to do with little frills. The combination of blue dial with garish 70's chic kind of throws it off base for me. This watch reminds me of what I would have seen on the hands of my father or my uncles back in India in the early 80's. But you can't beat the price. I mean, authentic Japanese automatic for $35? If nothing else, I can gift it to someone who never has owned an automatic. Maybe it will grow on me, I've only had it for two days. Now that I scratched up the back of the case all to hell trying to get it open, I can't return it. I'll make this into my "beater" watch.

Now onto pictures:

Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by OldHippie1968; September 17th, 2009 at 19:36.

Re: Orient CEM5J005D Review

It looks beautiful! Hard to believe it is sub $40. Thanks for the review and even though this watch would make an excellent beater because of it's price, it doesn't look like a "beater" watch. Enjoy it!
    "You've stolen my heart, yes You have, You've wiped away the stains, broke away the chains, yes You have!" Leeland

Thanks jbdan. I determined to get this watch's back open. It is still right is tight, left is loose, correct?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

As far as I know (which is very little!) yes

btw love the leather as well lovely choice and compliments the blue nicely.
    "You've stolen my heart, yes You have, You've wiped away the stains, broke away the chains, yes You have!" Leeland

Yeah, I tried and applied as much force as I could with my hands, but I could not get that case back open. It is like they put some loctite sealant on the threads or something. Well I am not going to worry about it. I just put some clockwise torque on it and called it a night. Haha.

Have you tried the rubber ball? I hear it works really well on opening most case-backs

If a three prong removal tool along with thick leather gloves (to hold the watch) could not extert enough force to remove the case back, I doubt I could push down hard enough on the back with a rubber ball to open it.

Quote Originally Posted by pradeep1 View Post
    If a three prong removal tool along with thick leather gloves (to hold the watch) could not extert enough force to remove the case back, I doubt I could push down hard enough on the back with a rubber ball to open it.
    lol maybe not I have just read great thing about it. Enjoy your fantastic deal!

Quote Originally Posted by pradeep1 View Post
    Thanks jbdan. I determined to get this watch's back open. It is still right is tight, left is loose, correct?
    Anti-clockwise to loosen..

Tony Lewis
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by anzac1957 View Post
    Anti-clockwise to loosen..
    Tried that, this case back is bolted on it seems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information