Orient CEY04002B "World Time"
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Orient CEY04002B "World Time"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Orient CEY04002B "World Time"

I got a new Orient CEY04002B, aka "World Time". I wanted a watch with GMT, and quite like the Orient brand, so I got this watch, at a really good deal. I was wanting just a normal GMT-style watch, but Orient doesn't have any that are in the same price range at the moment.

This has a sapphire crystal, world time, GMT/24hr indicator, power reserve, seconds register, date indicator, screw-down crown, and a skeleton back. It weighs 189 grams with all of the links in the band.

Band:
    The band is solid, but the links are composed of about 5 pieces held together. The clasp is a very nice fold-over double-pushbutton with safety. The end links where it attaches to the case and clasp are one-piece, which I wish they had continued into the band, and not used links made of several pieces.

Dial:
    The 24hour indicator ring can be adjusted separately from the hour hand. The world time ring can be read by adjusting the bezel ring, which is controlled by the upper crown.

This a kind of GMT watch, since the 24-hour ring can be adjusted separately from the normal hour hand. The 24-hour ring moves when the time is set so it isn't a perfect GMT, but, if I was using this watch to travel, and read the "local" time from the world-time ring, then actually no adjustments would be needed for different timezones, since I would just read the correct local-timezone, unless I was going from a place that used DST to one that didn't.

One annoyance I have with the world time ring is that it is all based on "standard time", not daylight saving time. Since I want to keep track of time in Tokyo, which doesn't have a daylight saving time, the American time zones are 1 hour off. In the picture above, I have it set to give me the correct time in Tokyo and GMT, but since I am in the Denver timezone, it is giving an incorrect indication there. Since DST is now most of the year, it would have been better if they had based times on DST, but really they had to make a choice one way or the other.

If I was in Japan, then the American time zones could be correct, except that GMT would be an hour off except during the winter.

Aside from that issue, the rest of the dial is really nice. This is the two-tone model, so the background is black, and areas that are swept by the registers are white. It has the normal "Orient Wave" pattern, leading to a very cool effect. The hour markers are lume surrounded by shiny flat pieces of metal, which tend to sparkle in most light. The lume is pretty strong, this being the first watch I have noticed the lume glowing after being exposed to normal lights.

There aren't any digits for the hours, which given how busy the dial is already, isn't that surprising.

Crowns:
    The lower crown is the time adjustment crown, which screws down. The first pull-out sets the date if rotated one way and the 24-hour ring if rotated the other way. At the second pull-out you set the time which is linked to the 24-hour ring.
    The upper crown sets the world time ring, and doesn't pull out at all.
    Both crowns have the Orient logo etched into them.

Back:
    This watch has a display case back, which exposes the Orient no-frills movement. It is cool to see the Orient name etched into the movement in several places, including under the balance wheel.

Wristshot:
    This is a bigger watch, and a fair bit heavier than my other Orient watch.

Summary:
    This is a very busy watch, with a bit of "bling" factor as well. With a sapphire crystal, it should be a very durable timepiece.
    Last edited by corsec67; June 4th, 2010 at 05:55.
    BarisKiris likes this.

Re: Orient CEY04002B "World Time"

[QUOTE=corsec67;3053448]This isn't a GMT watch at all, since the 24-hour ring can't be adjusted separately from the normal hour at all./QUOTE]

Good Review! Are you sure your 24 hr. ring can't be adjusted? I have the Orient/National Geographic one using the same movement and position 2 counter clockwise sets date and clockwise turns the 24 hr. ring. In other words, a true GMT.

Last edited by Sean779; June 4th, 2010 at 05:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean779 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by corsec67 View Post
    This isn't a GMT watch at all, since the 24-hour ring can't be adjusted separately from the normal hour at all.
    Good Review! Are you sure your 24 hr. ring can't be adjusted? I have the Orient/National Geographic one using the same movement and position 2 counter clockwise sets date and clockwise turns the 24 hr. ring. In other words, a true GMT.
    Wow, you are completely correct.:thanks On the lower crown, at position 2, rotating the crown one way does set the date, and the other way does adjust the 24-dial ring. Updating the first post now.

It came from the factory with the 24-hour ring lined up perfectly I quickly assumed it couldn't be adjusted.

Edit: I don't think it is the same movement, since the power-reserve and date aren't on the opposite sides of the dial on mine, and the crowns are off a bit from yours. But, they seem to work the same way.
    Last edited by corsec67; June 4th, 2010 at 05:58.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wow, you are completely correct.:thanks On the lower crown, at position 2, rotating the crown one way does set the date, and the other way does adjust the 24-dial ring. Updating the first post now.

It came from the factory with the 24-hour ring lined up perfectly I quickly assumed it couldn't be adjusted.

Edit: I don't think it is the same movement, since the power-reserve and date aren't on the opposite sides of the dial on mine, and the crowns are off a bit from yours. But, they seem to work the same way.

pretty sure it's the same movement: subdials and crowns can be re-positioned. One thing I find odd (and just a little disappointing) is that the GMT 24 hr. ring moves in large increments, something like 3 to an hour, instead of continuously. Not a big deal, but it makes using that by itself to read the second time zone +/- 20 minutes, not so accurate (not sure exactly what the increments are, you can hear them clicking when you rotate the ring). Anyway, I think it's a great movement and watch, and a real bargain at its offered price, esp. with its sapphire crystal(s). I especially like how your 24 hr. ring is divided into black (night) and white (day). It makes the dial still busier, but I wish my Orient/national g. had it...I like telling at a glance how much of my day is shot .

Quote Originally Posted by Sean779 View Post
    pretty sure it's the same movement: subdials and crowns can be re-positioned. One thing I find odd (and just a little disappointing) is that the GMT 24 hr. ring moves in large increments, something like 3 to an hour, instead of continuously. Not a big deal, but it makes using that by itself to read the second time zone +/- 20 minutes, not so accurate (not sure exactly what the increments are, you can hear them clicking when you rotate the ring). Anyway, I think it's a great movement and watch, and a real bargain at its offered price, esp. with its sapphire crystal(s). I especially like how your 24 hr. ring is divided into black (night) and white (day). It makes the dial still busier, but I wish my Orient/national g. had it...I like telling at a glance how much of my day is shot .
    On mine, the 24-hour ring moves smoothly, but it is adjusted in half-hour blocks from the hour hand, so that it has to be some multiple of .5 hours from the hour hand.

I made a really cool video of this watch running from full power to out of power:
    Orient CEY04002B Timelapse

corsec57 that video was pretty damn cool man. you also had some really nice pics !

whats the accuracy of this watch??
    does it hack
    Last edited by ipswitch; June 22nd, 2010 at 15:51.

Lightbulb Re: Orient CEY04002B "World Time"

Quote Originally Posted by ipswitch View Post
    whats the accuracy of this watch??
    does it hack
    It is gaining a few seconds a day, which is just fantastic.

It is an Orient, so no hacking or hand-winding.

The lume on this watch is just awesome, it is really noticeable.
    My other Orient(CET06001D) has lume so bad it is essentially white paint.

thanks for the reply bro. looking forward for it

I made a really cool video of this watch running from full power to out of power:
    Orient CEY04002B Timelapse
    That is cool. I always wondered how accurate the PR indicator was and yours was pretty much right on. It looks like you got 42 hours out of it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information