Orient Constellation DJ02002B
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Dr_Ben

Thread: Orient Constellation DJ02002B

Orient Constellation DJ02002B

My last automatic watch was a Bulova, which I received as a gift when I graduated university, in 1964. Since then, all my watches have been quartz movements.

I've been looking for a mechanical watch for a while, but was having trouble finding the right one with my relatively tight budget. I was looking for something more fashionable than the diver watches I've been wearing for several years. A black dial was a must, as was a GMT feature. The case and band had to be stainless steel and the size had to be no more than about 42mm. I had to make one compromise. I wanted a watch with numerals for all 12 hours (arabic or roman). In the end, I took a model with 3 roman numerals (for VI, IX and XII) and markers for the other 9 hours.

Until recently, I had never heard of Orient watches (or that they were a Seiko-owned company). A couple of their models caught my eye. The two that interested me the most were the Constellation and the Star.

I finally chose the Orient Constellation DJ02002B, with a black dial and ss band; I ordered one from Discount Watch Store (after learning that they were an authorized Orient dealer).

Name:  Orient BE.jpg
Views: 1578
Size:  49.0 KB

The price was less than half the MSRP and I used the store's "Make an offer" button. They refused my offer, but quoted a price that was very reasonable, and I bought the watch. It was immediately shipped and I received it in Québec, Canada, two days later.

The watch's accuracy has so far been very good. The daily rate is always about +3s. The overall average after 13 days is +2.9s. I wear the watch about 16 hours a day and leave it lying face up over night.

I have never seen an Orient in any local jewelry store. When I took it in to have the band adjusted (the day after I received it), the watchmaker who did the work, told me it was a very nice watch. He checked the accuracy and said it was +3.5s. He told me that if the accuracy did not deteriorate after a I had worn the watch for a few weeks, he doubted it could be adjusted to be more accurate, unless I wanted to put it on display in a fixed position and keep it fully wound.

It is a very comfortable watch to wear. With regular wearing, the power reserve stays over 35 hours. It has a hacking feature, which makes setting the watch, including the GMT had very easy. The sapphire crystal does not have a cyclops over the date window, but the date is very easy to read.

The watch is rated water resistant to 100m, but since I'm water resistant only to a bit less than 2m, I hope to never have to test that feature.

The Orient Constellation is a keeper.
    rfortson and JoHunt like this.

Re: Orient Constellation DJ02002B

Nice review and a good looking watch. Do you have anymore pictures of your watch?

Re: Orient Constellation DJ02002B

This watch caught my eye too. I love that it has everything I wanted, but the price that u found it at was a little high. I ended up snagging the Golden Eye, which I really like. I may get this in the future though. It's very striking!

Thread Information