Orient Curator Power Reserve FD0J001W - Rose Gold
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By fatalelement
  • 1 Post By Blaise13

Thread: Orient Curator Power Reserve FD0J001W - Rose Gold

Orient Curator Power Reserve FD0J001W - Rose Gold

Just got this Orient Curator - my first Orient and first non-dive automatic watch. I have a very nice dress quartz but I really wanted an automatic and have never owned a true power reserve - my Seiko BFK will give me the kinetic capacitor charge, but as someone with a science/engineering education, I really enjoy new complications. Purchased from CreationWatches for less than half of the MSRP, which is actually what Orient sells it for. No Invicta hijinks, and CreationWatches was great and had fast courier shipping. Came in 3 days form Singapore with tracking.

So, without more ado, here are some stats:

Brand: Orient

Model No.: FD0J001W

Name: Curator

Price: MSRP $415, CreationWatches $199.00

Movement:
    The Curator uses Orient's 46N40 movement, an automatic movement with a date indicator (window, 3 o'clock) and power reserve indicator (retrograde, 12 o'clock). The movement does not hack or handwind. The frequency is 21,600 bph, and the power reserve is 40 hours. I may repoen the case and include a picture of the movement at a later date.
    The power reserve indicator shows the tension left in the mainspring, on a scale from 40 hours to 0 hours. As the watch unwinds, the power reserve predictably moves towards 0. Shaking and winding the watch, predictably, moves this towards 40. I find this to be a welcome addition, as many of my automatics go a bit without being wound (only one winder in my collection) and it's sometimes hard to tell when they're going to die.
    Case:
    The case is rose gold plated stainless steel, and has a pleasing appearance. The tone perfectly matches a much more expensive rose gold quartz dress watch I own, which I consider a good sign. The caseback is engraved and unplated stainless steel. The lug width is 22mm, and the case diameter is 41mm wide and 11mm. The lug-to-lug distance is 47.5mm.
    Crystal:
    The crystal is sapphire, with a very slight chamfer. Doesn't seem to be AR-coated or anything, but I feel like that's more of a dive watch thing and I don't really care. Flat sapphire, obviously clear, etc. Pretty basic.
    Dial/Hands:
    The dial is a white/off-white color with a beautiful and subtle sunburst effect. The indices are thick and applied, and a dot of lume is on the outer edge behind each index. The Orient logo is applied and beautiful, and the date window is outlined with gold as well. The power reserve sits below the 12 o'clock indicator and features a small hand. It is a retrograde-style indicator from 40hrs to 0hrs.
    The hands are dauphine style, and inlaid with lume, but on the hour and minute only. A long, slender second hand beats away at the center.
    Strap:
    The included strap features a rose-gold plated stainless steel buckle, and is faux alligator. It is a burgundy/maroon color, and is very pretty. It is unique in that it is highly padded all the way throughout, from tip to springbar, making it both pliably comfortable and solidly stiff enough. I've swapped it out to a couple things to see, but most of my straps are for divers (even the leather) and just don't look as good as this one. Pretty happy with it.

Name:  SU063195.jpg
Views: 2076
Size:  213.8 KB
    Name:  SU063196.jpg
Views: 2031
Size:  241.1 KB
    Name:  SU063201.jpg
Views: 2008
Size:  204.4 KB
    Name:  SU063199.jpg
Views: 2126
Size:  214.5 KB
    Name:  SU063198.jpg
Views: 2001
Size:  188.0 KB
    Name:  SU063202.jpg
Views: 2022
Size:  191.8 KB
    Name:  SU063197.jpg
Views: 1991
Size:  193.3 KB
    Name:  SU063200.jpg
Views: 1980
Size:  194.2 KB
    Name:  SU063203.jpg
Views: 1980
Size:  204.4 KB
    Name:  SU063207.jpg
Views: 1999
Size:  278.0 KB
    Last edited by fatalelement; August 7th, 2014 at 04:45.
    Mil6161 likes this.
    Cartier Santos, Piaget 9025, 145.022 Speedmaster Professional, Omega De Ville, Doxa 750T Divingstar GMT, Deep Blue Alpha Marine 500, Hexa F74 Project (#77), Boschett Harpoon, among countless others (to the chagrin of my other half)

Re: Orient Curator Power Reserve FD0J001W - Rose Gold

Bravo !
    That's a beauty. Almost as beautiful as my rose gold bambino
    More seriously your IRL pics make me consider i should have a Curator... perhaps not again a rose gold.
    fatalelement likes this.
    "Sometimes I look at my watch to tell the time and end up staring at it for a little while......" iamsupersam (wus member) July 29th, 2012

Thread Information