Orient Curator review
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By WichitaViajero

Thread: Orient Curator review

Orient Curator review

Orient Curator

I recently acquired an Orient Curator from the executive line, here are some specs borrowed from the web:

Case: Steel
    Dial: Gray
    Lume: Yes
    Crystal: Saphire
    Strap: Leather, engraved buckle
    Water Resistance: 50 meters
    Dimensions: 41 X 47.5
    Lugs: 22mm
    Thickness: 11mm

First impression:

It is definitely a dress watch, the gray color of the dial is unlike anything else I have seen, it is beautiful! The head is heavy for an 11 mm thick case, it has some heft to it, (heavier that the longines hydro conquest 39mm with the bracelet) The hands and applied markers are both polished on the sides and brushed in the middle. The Power reserve indicator is just the cherry on top for this watch!

The Polished case is very simple, it works for me, some people complained that it's just to plain, but, perhaps because I got it at a deep discount, and I wasn't expecting much, that I actually found the simple case design refreshing.

The bezel is also polished, after having it for one week, and not having put a mark on it, I'm impressed! Of course I'm very careful with my watches.

The hands are dauphine style, the have a brush finish running in the middle, while the sides are polished, they also have Lume. The second hand is very simple, but with this classic design, it goes perfectly.

The crystal is a flat Saphire, very clear, it makes the dial pop! It is very slightly, almost unnoticeable raised over the bezel.

The dial is charcoal gray, and depending on the light and how it hits it, it can appeared that a slight sunburst effect was added to it.

The Lume is ok, not great nor will it last through the night. The hour and minute hands have luminosity. And each hour marker has a dot of lume.

The crown is very, very simple, almost unappealing. That is one of the things I don't like about the watch, well is not a deal breaker, but a little more could have been done to the crown IMHO. It is not signed nor it is a screw down crown. The water resistance is only 50 meters.

The movement is an in house one, 21 jewels, automatic, self winding, non hacking nor hand woundable. It doesn't take very much to get the needle to move from 0-40, maybe 20 minutes of steady activity. Or a couple of hours of regular activity. The rotor is a bit noisy, you can hear it winding the watch. Since it is a 21K bph the sweep of the second hand is a bit jumpy, but since the second hand is so slender, it doesn't look that bad.

The strap is nothing to write home about, some people claim that it is better than a bambino's, I have no experience with that. So I put it on a clockwork synergy worn black leather strap, I love it!

Verdict: Just like I have read every where before, Orient is a extremes good value! A lot of watch for the money, specially if you are able to buy at a deep discount. The watch feels made of good quality, considering that the MSRP is $415.00 usd. I always go for watches with an extra feature(s), hence the power reserve indicator. The movement is good, is lacking hacking and hand wound features. But considering that the money that I paid for it, would equal 2 Seiko 5's, I won't complain. The dial, power reserve indicator, hands, markers and Saphire crystal are just gorgeous! Of course I wish it had a screw down crown, but again it is not a diver. I think you would enjoy it very much!

Would I buy it again? Definitely yes! this is the watch for a suit IMHO. And with the combo of polished and brushed hour markers it makes for a good casual watch it you wish.

For anyone considering this watch, it is worth every penny!

Best regards,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by WichitaViajero; July 7th, 2016 at 17:10.

Re: Orient Curator review

Nice review. Ive been looking for grey curator. Where did you get this?

Hi s_buba!

got it from Dutyfreeisland.com, I'm a believer now. You will find some bad and good reviews on them, but I believe I got the real deal here.

Wichita Viajero

Omega Seamaster 300 Professional 2055.80 (Electric Blue)
    Tag Heuer Aqua Racer WAY1112
    Bulova Accu Swiss 63B185
    Orient Star Open heart
    Citizen Titanium Skyhawk Eco Drive JR3060-59F flight Chronograph
    Seiko a738 Chronograph
    Citizen Ana DIgi Temp Watch JG 2002-53W Gold Finish
    Hamilton Khaki Mechanical
    Tissot PR100
    Citizen Q&Q two tone watch
    Bulova corporate executive
    Timex Expedition

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Guys. I've bought my Second Orient as well at Dutyfreeislandshop. It has been the same Curator in Grey and I am really happy with that watch.

Delivery, correspondence and quality at Dutyfreeislandshop was perfect. I recommend this Site for very good Deals...

Gesendet von meinem LIFETAB_P831X.2 mit Tapatalk

I second that!

Quote Originally Posted by lemmyafiver77 View Post
    Hi Guys. I've bought my Second Orient as well at Dutyfreeislandshop. It has been the same Curator in Grey and I am really happy with that watch.

Delivery, correspondence and quality at Dutyfreeislandshop was perfect. I recommend this Site for very good Deals...

Gesendet von meinem LIFETAB_P831X.2 mit Tapatalk

Wichita Viajero

Bulova Accu Swiss 63B185
    Orient Star Open heart
    Seiko a738 Chronograph
    Tissot PR100
    Timex Expedition

I think mine came from the same place. Seems to be a trend here. Lol.

I didn't like the strap so I switch mine back and forth between a brown and black Hadley Roma depending on what suit color I am wearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice one!

mine had to be sent back for repair, since Orient USA doesn't consider them an authorized dealer

Wichita Viajero

Bulova Accu Swiss 63B185
    Orient Star Open heart
    Seiko a738 Chronograph
    Tissot PR100
    Timex Expedition

Thread Information