Orient FDW08003W0 "Eminence" review
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Alain017

Thread: Orient FDW08003W0 "Eminence" review

Orient FDW08003W0 "Eminence" review

Hello! My name is Alain, I am from Easter Europe and this is my first post on WUS. Please excuse my English, I don't speak it ;).
    I love watches, and this is my review for the Orient Eminence. First of all, this is my first automatic watch, I wanted one with sapphire crystal to be much more scratch resistant than mineral crystal.
    I bought the watch for $360 brand new from an authorised dealer. Watch prices are a lot bigger in Eastern Europe compared to US (lot of import taxes, VAT etc).
    This is the watch:Attachment 1306912Attachment 1306913

The pros : -nice watch for the price
    -sapphire
    -pretty good movement, about +6s/24h
    -good looking, beautiful dial, open heart

The cons : -very bad bracelet, catches hair, folded end links
    -build quality sub par, unfortunately
    -noisy rotor, it's like a stone inside the watch.

The bracelet really is a "turn off". Not as bad as a folded link bracelet, but it says "chinese" all over it. Very dissapointed to see that Orient put the same bracelet from a $90 watch to a $400 watch..
    Certina for example, uses different ss bracelets for their collection, but are very solid, good end links, and I thing they make the bracelet in house.

This is a picture of one of the links from the Orient :
    Name:  IMG_20131209_231015.jpg
Views: 4025
Size:  114.7 KB

I mean, what the hell?? Really cheap, and really bad chinese quality control, I think. You can clearly see the crooked link.

Another issue is that inside the case there is a small spec of something on the dial :
    Name:  IMG_20131209_224051.jpg
Views: 5968
Size:  67.3 KB
    I wanted to return the watch, but the damn dealer wouldn't take it because I removed the protective plastic from the bracelet and glass.

It also came with a small scratch on the back of the case :

Name:  IMG_20131209_223914.jpg
Views: 4069
Size:  168.7 KB

This is because of the orient plastic seal attached to the bracelet :
    Name:  IMG_20131209_231036.jpg
Views: 3972
Size:  104.9 KB

I think this stupid thing grinded on the case. Why would you put this inside the box, along the watch, to scratch it? I should mail Orient and find out.

Now, I don't want to offend anyone, this is still a good watch for the money from a reputable brand. But, I owned a $100 Timex, and the quality was superb. Yes it scratched easily, but it was good. Also, the bracelet you find on a ~$350 Citizen is very good, not even in the same chapter than Orient. Heck, not even in the same book.

I didn't want to spend a lot on my first automatic, my budget was low from the start. Next time I will definitely save for a swiss made automatic Certina or Tissot.
    I bought this watch because I saw on this forum a lot of good, positive feedback for Orient watches. Unfortunately I was disapointed with mine. Maybe I will sell it, maybe I will keep it.
    I am writing this for the person who consider to buy his/her first Orient. Please choose wisely.
    Thank you for your time, this is the best watch related forum on the .net. Keep up the good work.
    sifox likes this.

Re: Orient FDW08003W0 "Eminence" review

Sorry to hear you've had such bad experiences! I got this watch as well, I agree about the bracelet, I immediately put a leather wristband on it.
    But otherwise, my rotor is quiet and after some months I have yet to find a scratch on my watch. And I'm pretty careless with my watch. I think in most cases this watch is much more bang for your buck than you give it credit for.

I agree with the bracelet part.
    follow me on: https://www.instagram.com/rohantime

Rolex
    I Omega I Breitling I Glycine I B&M ISeiko

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Update

I wore this Orient almost everyday in the past four weeks, and I have to give credit to Boyen, the watch isn't so bad after all. I think it has really grown on me. I'd like to give some extra minor details on my review, because it's the little things that matter to me most.

The in house mechanism is really good for the price. It's running at a constant +4s/24h, which is very very good IMHO. The downside is that it is quite noisy when the rotor spins, compared to a swiss ETA 2824-2. The good side is that it is a very efficient mechanism, winds up really fast due to the lever/ratchet system, has a great power reserve after ~4h of wearing, the slower 21,600 bph also helps. It has a louder but pleasant ticking noise.

I changed the bracelet on warranty. It's not that bad after all, clasp is nice and comfortable, the only complaint I have is the presence of the folded end links.

I think the only problem Orient has with their watches that are not Japan made is the quality control. I know, they have to keep the price low to deliver the cheapest but best value/money automatics.

But they can definitely do better.

Name:  IMG_20140107_153139.jpg
Views: 3808
Size:  288.6 KB

thank u for review :)

Thanks for the review. I have the exact same watch on order. I'm not expecting outstanding quality, but to be honest I'm kind of disappointed to hear about the poor quality bracelet. However, I was planning on getting a leather strap to have the option to dress it up, so maybe I'll just end up keeping it on.
    This is also my first automatic...was not planning on it, but found it for about $250 so figured what the heck that ain't a bad start into collecting.
    I'll post some info once it arrives. Also Glad to hear you are enjoying it more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine just arrived. I agree about the cheap bracelet, however it LOOKS nice and for the $250 I paid, I can't complain. The weight on mine is silent and the watch itself is beautiful and nothing else really stands out as cheap. I was glad to see the rotor had a textured finish...it looked plain in the pics I saw previously. other interior components when viewed though the exhibition case back are non textured, but again for the price, can't expect it. Parts visible through the open heart are finished nicely. Funny enough, the thing i noticed most is the cloth like material used for the pillow in the box the watch came in was cheap airplane pillow type stuff. All in all, I think this watch is an absolute steal for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alain017, that's unfortunate that the quality control on the Eminence you received was poor. The fit and finish on my Eminence was better than the one you received, I'd say it was on par with my Tissot. I totally agree with your's and the other WUS members review of the bracelet on this watch, it really feels cheap, but I was planning on replacing it with a leather strap before I purchased it.

How common are the defects?

In comes with leather too, yes?
    Tudor Heritage Black Bay Black (79220N)
    NOMOS Tangente (139)
    Casio G-Shock 1289
    J.Springs Chronograph (BFD053)

i have 2 orient eminence watches with a black and a white dial they are superb and absolutely beautiful, they are very hard to find anymore and they are becoming a collectors item in my opinion buy it in leather, if you are lucky, and you will never regret it.

Thread Information