Orient Mako Blue [CEM65002DW] Review :)

Thread: Orient Mako Blue [CEM65002DW] Review :)

Orient Mako Blue [CEM65002DW] Review :)

Hi there :)
    I have this watch for about a month now, was dreaming about it since november last year. I had to wait quite a bit for it :)

Case & Dial: The blue of the dial, is sort of, the "bluest" thing I have ever seen. No chance to take your eyes off that. When I bought it, and drived back home, I was staring at it, instead of noticing the stop-light turn green :)
    The case is really solid! And quite heavy. And the perfect size for my wrist.
    The crown does not feel flimsy at all. I have heard that some of them are flimsy, some are not. But mine deffinetly didn't feel like it would pop off in some 5-10 years. The push-button for setting the day, is quite a unique feature. It looks good with it. Without it, it would be less sexy :)

Bracelet&Clasp Having not owned a watch with Solid Stainless Steel bracelet before[only a rubber band Casio, and some flimsy bracelets at a fake Seiko], I felt this as one hell of a solid bracelet. The clasp does its job very well. Yes, i noticed the hollow-end links :( I do hope they won't bent the telescopes, cause I've heard that is one common problem of this bracelet. And yeah, somebody bring the Japanese watchmaker that designed heftier lugs for the rubber band! I think we all want to have a "nice" chat with him :)
    And one other thing, it scratches without giving you a notice. I don't know how, but I got a few scratches on it already. :(

Lume Incredibly bright, but doesn't last long. But even when they are pretty dimm you can tell what's the correct time :)

Bezel Common problem, I have it also. It is too stiff. If I handle it with my left hand, it seems to work easier, but then again, I do not wear my watch in my right hand. Someone said here, that after giving it some good run-in , it will work smoother, or that after a day at the pool, it got smooth. Can't confirm any of those since I didn't have the time to try them.

Movement Pretty accurate by now, one month has gone, and it will be in serious tests next 2 weeks. I will do the Grand Seiko accuracy test on it, since my watch is already in COSC spec. [+6 sec/day, but in the first week it was something like +9 sec/day]. For an automatic[budget priced], out of the box, to be in COSC spec, is more than enough. It charges really fast, and, the power reserve is quite impressive. I left it once for about 30 hours, and it was still working, although I didn't wear it that much in the day before "abandoning" him :)

Summing up :
    Pro: Dial[!!!!], Case, signed crown, Movement accuracy[and power reserve of over 40 hours], Lume[on initial brightness], Price[!!]
    Cons: Hollow end-links, tight bezel, bracelet scratches easily, Lume[not quite as long lasting as some scuba diver would expect]

And now, the photos you were all waiting for :
    Attached Images Attached Images

EHV

Re: Orient Mako Blue [CEM65002DW] Review :)

Nice review. Thank you. I have one of these arriving today so your timing (pun intended) is awesome.

My Lume lasted all night and was as bright or brighter then my Wenger Chrono and Citizen Eco-drive..Easily seen in partial light (night light).

I'm still trying to syn my time with Time.gov to check it's timing..

Overall I've very happy with my Blue Mako Also

I'm looking to buy another maybe a Orange one.. But who knows what would I do with two Mako's :) Maybe I should try another Orient but I want something with at 100m and $190 or less and not look like my Wenger Comando...mmmm
    Last edited by CASD; May 1st, 2010 at 17:09.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nice review, thank you, the various BLue Mako reviews on here convinced me - I've been looking for a nice diver with a little panache to be my everyday automatic. This will go to work, around town, kayaking, hiking etc. Just ordered one, got their 50% off deal. Pretty jazzed!

I purchased a blue Mako and a 2010 Worldtime. I have got to say the Mako is an attractive watch. It will probably see more use than the Worldtime.

Hi Carcozep, thanks to your review I 'discovered' this was EXACTLY the watch I'd been looking for. And OrientUSA was having a 50% off promotion, so I scooped one up. Here's my short review:

I've been looking for a 'daily diver' to replace my quartz beater for some time - a watch good looking enough, tough enough and waterproof enough to go wherever I go, look stylish, and beat with an automatic heart. I wanted a diver with the classic look and feel - diver's bezel, sword hands, blue dial, solid link bracelet - and the practical features as well, like good readability, a 200M rating and screw-down crown. I thought I'd have to pay close to a thousand dollars for what I wanted -- until I found the 'Mako'. This is the watch I'll take kayaking, hiking, skiing, and will wear around town.

The Mako has all the features I required plus a day/date display, signed crown and clasp, and it came with a much lower pricetag than I expected. I was a bit skeptical but when I opened the package from orientwatchesusa, I was pleasantly surprised. The watch came in a nice display box, was well wrapped in protective tape and the case was immaculately polished. The dial is a deep blue, the numerals on the bezel sharply defined and a nice touch is the contrasting, beveled cut-out for the day and date. The lume is strong, with the Arabic numbers at 12 6 and 9 clearly lit, as are the 5-minute markers and bezel dot (a feature often left off many 'divers' watches). Also, the red pointer on the second hand is a nice touch. The Mako has a restrained style that says 'grown up' not flashy. It would look as good at the symphony as at the beach. Nice job, Orient.

My bezel is a bit tight but not overly so. A few photos for you:
    Name:  P1010426sm.JPG
Views: 3967
Size:  129.2 KBName:  P1010432sm.jpg
Views: 5006
Size:  147.5 KBName:  P1010436sm.JPG
Views: 3943
Size:  121.9 KB

Just want to chime in because I got one of these recently. After I let the spring wind down for a day or so I was able to back-hack the watch and set it to atomic time. I wore it for a whole day and then left it crown down at night, right now it's running 2-3 seconds faster than the clock. In a watch that was $95 shipped. Gotta love it! Can't get either of my 7S26 divers this good yet, not that they are worse watches, but this thing is bang on accurate for the price.
    Orient CDH00001B
    Seiko SKX007 on Natos
    Seiko Orange Monster on Zulu
    Parnis Luminor ST-36
    Alpha Paul Newman Panda
    Orient Blue Mako on Natos
    Ticino 44mm Pilot type-A
    Invicta 8926OB w/ Seiko movement
    Sea-Gull M172S Retrograde
    Getat Regatta 44mm w/ reserve and date

Thread Information