Orient Mako XL review
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By johncolescarr
  • 2 Post By seattle_guy

Thread: Orient Mako XL review

Orient Mako XL review

Hi, my fist post to say hi and to tell you about my new purchase.

I initially bought an orient mako in black and when I received it looked just a good as in the various photos I'd drooled over online. But when I put it on my wrist, I could instantly see it wore far to small for me. I think the bezel on divers makes them wear small as my pilot style rotary is only 1mm larger but wears much bigger. Many would say it was a perfect size but I do like slightly larger watches as they balanced large forearms. I sadly packed it away and sent it back for a refund. I then bought a mako XL in black from creation watches and as soon as I put it on I fell for it immediately. It is on the very verge of being too big for my 7.25 inch wrists but sits with the lugs just slightly smaller than my wrist.
    It's a more aggressive style than the mako 1 with squared off lugs that give it a bit of a breitling super ocean look. Also the bracelet is 22mm all around which adds to the beefiness. It remains very comfortable on the wrist despite the weight and thick bracelet. I rather like this but I know some prefer the slimmer design if the mako 1. The movement has a lovely smooth sweep to the second hand despite the slower 21,600 bph movement. I have another orient and this one definitely appears smoother for the same calibre.
    I have to agree with others that what lets the watch down slightly is the end caps. I would have gladly paid an extra bit for SEL as they do rattle and move a bit. Strangely my rotary has hollow end caps but they don't rattle or move at all and I've worn it every day for 4 years. Despite the popularity of the makos I haven't found an aftermarket replacement for the bracelet or end caps (not even yobokies). The safety lock on the clasp is also not the best fitting, but once done up this does not notice. The crystal is not sapphire but really this does not bother me as would not want to pay more for this. The links themselves however are very well machined. With a better quality clasp and end caps this could be sold for at least double (but I wouldn't have bought it then). Many have mentioned the poor lume and ok it's not great but it does just about work. It does surprise me though that technology has not moved on to make all lume super bright on every watch.

Overall I couldn't be happier as I feel I've got a quality watch for very little money and the fact it isn't an expensive brand definitely makes me like it more. I wear it with pride in my office when other around me give me snooty looks with their tags, rolex and longines. A bit like the look they give me from behind the wheel for their BMWs when I drive off into Mazda6.
    MEzz likes this.

Re: Orient Mako XL review

Nice review. I am loving mine.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Very accurate review. I am looking for a black rubber strap to replace the A's bracelet.Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1399747573279.jpg
Views: 12634
Size:  66.3 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Interesting and timely review. I actually stumbled upon this having just ordered an XL blue. Received a blue Ray yesterday and posted my thoughts here...

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f410/re...ml#post8312128

Like with your Mako I love the styling, fit and finish of the Ray but at 41.5mm it lacks the presence on my (average 7") wrist than I would like. It's almost certainly a function of perception as I generally wear larger watches, but every time I glance at I think "that looks small." I pondered the XL after coming to this conclusion with the Ray and initially didn't care for its larger shoulders/wider lugs. However, looking at it further it's growing on me and just kills with some of the brown leather straps I've seen some owners using. As does the black face/orange bezel version. So I have ordered an XL and will compare side-by-side and return one. There are some interesting design differences between the XL and the Ray, some give and take...

• Ray has a lumed pearl at the bezel zero marker, bupkus on the XL.
    • Ray has a beautifully contrasting red-tipped second hand and I'm a sucker for a splash of red on watches. However...
    • I prefer the XL's hands (more uniform, hour not as stubby).
    • I prefer the XL's hour indices to the Ray's, which I find a bit cluttered in their variety.
    • I like that the Ray has a screw down day pusher to prevent accidentally changing it.
    • Both have nice straps with offset center links, but I like the extra detailing on the Ray's with their polished sides (that said, I'm expecting to swap bands around between leather and silicone on a regular basis).
    • The shade of blue appears to be the same on both, which is what initially captured my attention. Beautiful. But damn that orange bezel version is nice as well.

If the Ray came in just a bit bigger I wouldn't be having this conversation, probably never would have sought out the XL.

Quote Originally Posted by johncolescarr View Post
    I wear it with pride in my office when other around me give me snooty looks with their tags, rolex and longines. A bit like the look they give me from behind the wheel for their BMWs when I drive off into Mazda6.
    When I hear about "snooty looks" I wonder whether we're really able to read other people's minds, or (to me more plausibly) perceiving thoughts they aren't actually having. Perhaps what I thought was a snooty look was actually a curious look, or an indifferent look?

Anyway, I just bought an Orient watch because I like the 1970's style and I don't already have anything in red. I'm guessing it will attract more attention than my Omega watch, and if anyone's curious I'll be happy to tell them it cost less than dinner in a nice restaurant.

Name:  Red_Orient_2.jpg
Views: 10954
Size:  213.8 KBName:  Red_Orient_1.jpg
Views: 10998
Size:  214.5 KB
    eee and mitchjrj like this.

That is beautiful, I don't believe I have seen that one. What is the model name and where did you pick it up?

Quote Originally Posted by seattle_guy View Post
    When I hear about "snooty looks" I wonder whether we're really able to read other people's minds, or (to me more plausibly) perceiving thoughts they aren't actually having. Perhaps what I thought was a snooty look was actually a curious look, or an indifferent look?

Anyway, I just bought an Orient watch because I like the 1970's style and I don't already have anything in red. I'm guessing it will attract more attention than my Omega watch, and if anyone's curious I'll be happy to tell them it cost less than dinner in a nice restaurant.

Name:  Red_Orient_2.jpg
Views: 10954
Size:  213.8 KBName:  Red_Orient_1.jpg
Views: 10998
Size:  214.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mitchjrj View Post
    That is beautiful, I don't believe I have seen that one. What is the model name and where did you pick it up?
    Started a new thread for this, see https://forums.watchuseek.com/f306/or...s-1099962.html

I don't think the bezel is effective to read. It doesn't have a pointer and it lacks measurement lines.

Thread Information