Brand Orient
    Model number CET05001D
    Part Number CET05001D
    Item Shape Round
    Crystal Mineral
    Display Type Analog
    Clasp Fold-Over Clasp with Double Push-Button Safety
    Case material Stainless steel
    Case diameter 38 millimeters (lug to lug 49mm)
    Case Thickness 13 millimeters
    Band Material stainless steel
    Band length mens
    Band width 20 millimeters
    Band Color Silver
    Dial color Blue
    Bezel material Stainless steel
    Bezel function Stationary
    Calendar Day and date
    Special features Water Resistant
    Movement Orient ET46B
    Water resistant depth 165 Feet

Hi folks,

This is a review of the Orient Multi-eye SKY CET05001D Blue dial automatic watch.

I purchased this for $84.00 from the Discount Watch store, fulfilled by Amazon Prime with free shipping. Please note that Amazon is now selling it for $115 and OrientUSA for $161 with their 30% discount, ET0K003W, under the new name of Cosmos. Orient only offers a black and a white dial now. They have made some detailed changes in the dial (larger date window and a contrasting ring around the day indicator in the black dial model) but still has the ET46B movement.

This is my third Multi eye the first being the white dial model CET05001W then the CETAC002D Executive Multi-Eye (now called Galant) . Also note the model names are different, something Orient has been doing lately as they make inroads in the US market and charging more than they did 2 years ago.
    -
    First let me say one thing. Because it's called "Multi-eye" here at Amazon, it may be left overs from Orient before the name change and were sold off to second party sellers and could be old stock, though still new, perhaps up to 1 1/2 years old. Don't know for sure, but that's my guess.

Discounting the shoulders on either side of the crown the case measures 38mm. So it is a relatively small watch by todays standards.

One thing I'd like to mention to start out with is (and I am a big Orient fan having 25 of their watches now) is that it is over priced at the OrientUSA price of $161, not bad at the Amazon price of $115 and a bargain what I paid for at $84.

I'd like to talk about the bracelet first. The links are solid stainless steel, with the exception of the case end links, which are just folded over plate SS. It has the typical push pin connectors and is relatively easy to re-size with the right tools. I have used this one for years:

Paylak TSLK3 Watch Band Pin Remover and Link Remover

Bracelet:

Orient does have solid end links, but they are offered in their Star and a few other more expensive models. Each link on this model consists of five separate pieces, with the two out side and middle one brushed and the other two polished. Overall not bad at this price point. It has a rather cheap stamped, brushed SS button clasp with three holes on one end for minor adjustments. I have a small 6.5" wrist and had to remove three links to fit it. As a general rule I would have to say SS bracelets on mid to lower range Orient models are just so so, but on higher end they are quite good.

Case:

I think this was my biggest surprise. I have known that Orient made their own movements and had assumed they made their own cases also. Not so. I was somewhat disappointed with the time keeping of this watch (-12 sec per day) and decided to open it for regulation. When I got the case back off I was very surprised to see it stamped in ink "movement Japan case Hong Kong". So it seems Orient are farming out their cases, at least in this price range.It leads me to wonder about their more expensive watches now!

The case in this watch is quite nice, having a brushed bezel, polished sides and back with the center of the case back stamped with the Orient name. The crown is NOT a screw down one, and pulling it out for setting time and date is easy. There is no "wobble" to the stem (something that exsists in all my Orient screw in type). The crown is stamped/laser etched with the Orient twin lion logo. The case has a mineral crystal with shoulders to protect the crown. One thing to mention about the case back is that it is very easy to put minor scratches on just by letting the clasp lay against it, something all SS bracelet watches can do. Although made in China it's of a good quality. The case back is the screw off type with an o-ring and an inner flat ss spring for fitting.

The crystal has a slight dome to it, and the effect of the angled bezel rising to meet the domed crystal makes for a very nice look to the watch.

ET46B Movement:

Once open you will find an a very plain simple autowind non-hacking movement. That being said it appears to be very well made. I was impressed that Orient has used a SS fitting ring for the case though. I have at least one expensive Swiss watch (Revue Thommen Nostagila) that used a cheap nylon ring in the case. Beyond the hour, minute and second the movement offers and additional three complications: Date, day and 24 hour hand. Impressive for a relatively inexpensive watch.

Dial:

I very much like the dial on this watch. It is a very deep blue with Arabic numerals at the 12 and 9 o'clock positions. The date window is set a 6 o'clock, the day hand set at 3 o'clock and the 24 hour hand set at 11 o'clock. The dial has been stamped to give the appearance of being double sunk. The outer edge along the numerals shows a nice linear pattern. The 24 hour and the day is in a satrburst pattern, while the inner section of the dial has a very nice faux guilloche curved pattern stamped into it. The Orieint double lion logo has been done well also. Overall it is a very nice dial!

Lume:

Only the hands are lumed. Visibility is somewhat poor and only last for a short time.

Regulation:

I am a bit anal when it comes to a watch keeping time and was somewhat disappointed as this particular one was loosing 12 sec. per day (within Orients specs), but most of my Orients do much better. I decided to open it up and regulate the timing. First all mechanical watches have the ability to regulate them, and the regulator sits over the balance. Moving it to the + side makes it run faster and to the - side slower. I would not suggest this to someone who has not had practice (and it will void any warranty)!!! I learned on pocket watches and cheap Chinese watches. Unlike vintage P/W's modern watches do not have micrometer setting screws and are very touchy. My first wrist was a Chinese Lucien Piccard. It was loosing over a minute and thirty sec. per day. I had only paid $42 for the watch and decided there was nothing lose in trying to regulate it. The biggest problem is opening the case back. The manufacturer screws it on VERY tight. After collecting the right tools I gave it a go. Sadly the opener slipped and put a huge gouge in the case back. At least it was a cheap watch so I moved on. At the time I didn't own a timer so I removed the movement and adjusted over a perioid of two weeks comparing to atomic time. I finally got to an error to less than -2 sec per day, where it has remained. After buying an electronic timer I started working on other watches with good success and the last I did was the Orient Millennium and Muli-eye using a watch timer 1000. I got them both below +/- 2 sec. per day.

After removing 3 links the weight of the watch is 4.2 oz.

Overall I am very happy with the Muli-eye.

Attachment 1016596

Attachment 1016597

Attachment 1016599

Attachment 1016600

Attachment 1016601

Attachment 1016602

Attachment 1016603
    Last edited by Bezelbub; March 21st, 2013 at 09:54.

Re: Orient Multi-eye "Sky" - CET05001D

Beautiful! Congrats on your new watch

I'm looking for a black or blue Sky, but it seems is no longer on sale, anywhere.

Best regards
    Last edited by Gianclaudio Palazzolo; March 29th, 2013 at 07:29.

Hi Gianclaudio,

Sorry for the VERY late reply. The Orient "multi-eyes" was re-named the "Sky " and finally the " Cosmos". The black dial and blue dial seem to have dropped off the radar. A quick google show them out of stock. That being said, Orient uses this movement in ALLOT of their models, so I think it will return again. Orient's change in their watches names awhile back makes things a bit confusing. You really have to check out the movement number. 46B. Right now the only one available is the

ET0P002W | Orient Automatic Watches & Reviews | Orient Watch USA

A variation that uses the same movement, but rotates it to the left to put the "Moon phase" dial (a variation of the 24 hr. dial) to the 10 o'clock position and the day dial to the 2 o'clock position, putting the crown at three instead of four. Movement Caliber now called 46B46, and price set at MSRP $515 ($360 with 30% discount). Of course, for the extra bucks, you get a sapphire dial crystal and mineral display back. But is it worth it? I don't think so. A little bit of patience and the model you wabt will come back at a price it is worth.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bezelbub View Post
    Hi Gianclaudio,

Orient's change in their watches names awhile back makes things a bit confusing.
    Orient doesn't name these watches, Orient USA does. They are an independent distributor/retailer for Orient in the US. Unfortunately, their names (even some of the awful ones) seem to get picked up on WUS and used instead of the real model id.

The Orient USA names occasionally get picked up by other sellers, especially on ebay and with certain ultra popular models like the Mako. However, it is generally best to search with the actual model id. If you are starting with the code from Orient USA, you need to add a 'C' at the beginning to get the worldwide code.
    All that glitters isn't chrome.

-

my watches: Christopher Ward - Orient - Enicar vintage watches - Wenger - Seiko 5 - Orient Star - DOXA (vintage)

Thanks for the 'C' tip on the model code. For awhile I've just been pasting the model number into my search engine. Allot easier than using the name!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Bezelbub View Post
    Hi Gianclaudio,

Sorry for the VERY late reply. The Orient "multi-eyes" was re-named the "Sky " and finally the " Cosmos". The black dial and blue dial seem to have dropped off the radar. A quick google show them out of stock. That being said, Orient uses this movement in ALLOT of their models, so I think it will return again. Orient's change in their watches names awhile back makes things a bit confusing. You really have to check out the movement number. 46B. Right now the only one available is the

ET0P002W | Orient Automatic Watches & Reviews | Orient Watch USA

A variation that uses the same movement, but rotates it to the left to put the "Moon phase" dial (a variation of the 24 hr. dial) to the 10 o'clock position and the day dial to the 2 o'clock position, putting the crown at three instead of four. Movement Caliber now called 46B46, and price set at MSRP $515 ($360 with 30% discount). Of course, for the extra bucks, you get a sapphire dial crystal and mineral display back. But is it worth it? I don't think so. A little bit of patience and the model you wabt will come back at a price it is worth.
    Hello Paul,

thanks for your answer, and also, sorry for my late reply, too. I actually own a white dial Cosmos, but as far as I know, the case diameter is 2mm bigger, at 40mm versus the 38 of the Sky. As I'm a very skinny wristed guy, at just 6", I think the Sky wears better (and I like some of the detail better, like the round date window)

I guess I'll just have to wait until an offer appears or perhaps an used one in the forum or ebay.

Best regards!

Thread Information