The Orient Poseidon Diver - Rare Brazilian Domestic Model Review
Like Tree9Likes
  • 8 Post By nitchai
  • 1 Post By WichitaViajero

Thread: The Orient Poseidon Diver - Rare Brazilian Domestic Model Review

Picture The Orient Poseidon Diver - Rare Brazilian Domestic Model Review

This is a short review of a Brazilian Domestic Model made by Orient. The Orient Poseidon has been around for a few years now and it is extremely popular among the brazilian horology community. It is available in three models: one with a Black dial and bezel, one with black dial and black&red bezel and this one with an orange dial and black bezel.

I'm sorry for the ...... phone pictures, hope you guys like it.

Overall
    - Model: Orient 300m 469SS040 O1SX;
    - Movement: Orient 469 in-house automatic non-hacking and non-handwinding movement with 40h power reserve;
    - Case diameter: 46mm case diameter excluding crown;
    - Case thickness: 17mm;
    - Lug to Lug distance: 51mm;
    - Lug Width: 24mm;
    - Weight: 276g;
    - 300m water resistance with Helium release valve;
    - Day/date display;
    - All stainless steel case and screw-down caseback;
    - Screw-down crown without shoulders;
    - Uni-directional 90 clicks rotating bezel;

Presentation
    The watch comes in a black presentation box with the Orient logo on the top (name only, no lions) and some yellow details in its side.

Name:  box1.jpg
Views: 2721
Size:  205.8 KB

Inside the box is covered with a velvet-like material where you can find the watch laying on a little pillow, the portuguese manual and the extra rubber strap. In a little hidden compartment there is the strap changing tool and some replacement screws. Here you can see the Orient logo including the lions.

Name:  box2.jpg
Views: 2727
Size:  239.4 KB

9,0/10,0

Movement
    The movement inside this watch is the classic 469, an automatic 21 jewels, non-hacking, non-handwinding, beating at 21600 vibrations per hour.

The 469 series dates back to the 70s and is has proven to be a reliable workhorse. It is the same movement used in the famous Makos, but without the pusher button in the 2 o'clock position. In this case, the week date is set turning the hour hand past the midnight.

I've been using the watch as my daily driver for the last week and it was working in the +1s to +6s range, which I find pretty good for a watch in this price point.

8,0/10,0

Case
    Measuring 46mm in diameter and 51mm lug-to-lug this is a very big watch.

Name:  face2.jpg
Views: 2707
Size:  38.2 KB

With a mixture of brushed and polished surfaces this case screams quality in every single corner you look at. The drilled lugs with screws are also a very welcome feature.

Name:  face1.jpg
Views: 2699
Size:  45.8 KB

Four screws (3 being only decorative and 1 being the He-valve) located at the 2, 4, 8 and 10 o'clock give the watch a very modern look and a more octagonal shape.

Name:  he1.png
Views: 2686
Size:  174.0 KB

The screw-down crown is signed with Orient's “O” and positioned at 3 o'clock but it lacks of shoulders. Beside that it feels very solid and its action is precise.

Name:  crown1.jpg
Views: 2661
Size:  27.5 KB

The caseback is made of stainless steel and it has the big “O” along with some informations, like model number, water resistance, etc.

Name:  caseback1.jpg
Views: 2660
Size:  28.8 KB

9,0/10,0

Dial
    The orange dial looks very harmonious thanks to the perfect aligned hour markers and hands, the clean look and its gorgeous colors.

With a thin metal frame around it and a greenish color the very well made applied hour indices sin in presenting such a shy lume effect when compared to the hands.

Here the familiarity with the Seiko Monster's hands are undeniable. Just like the indices, the hands also have the green color and metal frame around it, but the lume in this case is much much better. It glows pretty well during the night and does a pretty good job when compared to my Seiko SKX007.

I like to see how the minute hand gently hits the top end of the hour markers, while the hour hand almost hit the bottom. The arrow second hand with a lollipop end also has lume applied on it.

At 3 o'clock is located the day/date window. It also has the thin metal frame around it, which is very welcome. Both day and date wheel are made of or painted to look like metal while the writing is black (except for DOM/SUN which are red). You can set the date wheel to either english or portuguese.

The text presented on the dial is very clean and classy. At the top you can only spot the “Orient” logo, without the lions; and at the bottom “Automatic / 300m” printed in a font that reminds me a lot of the Seiko Sumo's.

9,0/10,0

Crystal
    The crystal here is mineral and slightly domed. Not much to say, but it would be GREAT to see a Sapphire in future generations.

Name:  dome1.jpg
Views: 2654
Size:  36.3 KB

7,5/10,0

Bezel
    The unidirectional bezel has weird 90-clicks with a lume pip at 12 o'clock. The action feels pretty solid.

Although I think its a little too easy to turn, you will not turn it by accident, so no worries.

It's not a coin edge bezel, instead it looks like a cog, something like Hexa watches, but without all that protuberance.

Bracelet/Strap
    Here is where this beauty really shines. The oyster-style bracelet is really well made. The end-links are solid. The signed fold over clasp with both safety and push button could be better, but its not bad at all. A diver extension is missing and could be a nice adition.

Name:  strap&bracelet.jpg
Views: 2665
Size:  43.8 KB

The extra rubber strap is kinda thin, but seems to be very resistant and it's definitely comfortable. The clasp is signed and pretty solid.

Name:  strap1.png
Views: 2649
Size:  254.7 KB

Well, I'm not a bracelet guy, actually I don't wear any of my watches in bracelet, but this one is my exception. Even with the added weight this bracelet makes the watch feel and look much superior, it is not rattling or hair-pulling and it fits the watch like a glove.

Name:  wruw3.jpg
Views: 2645
Size:  45.3 KB

9,0/10,0

Pricing & Conclusion
    Priced at the 400-500 USD range this might not be the best value for money, as it faces some serious competitors (like the Sumo), but it's definitely one of the most exclusives.

Being restricted to the brazilian market and now out of production, this watch is really hard to get and very collectible.

All that being said, I'd grade it a conservative 8,0 out of 10,0 for the specs itself and 9,0 out of 10,0 considering its exclusiveness.
    Last edited by nitchai; August 31st, 2015 at 00:45.

Re: The Orient Poseidon Diver - Rare Brazilian Domestic Model Review

Hi there folks. Just purchased a used Orient Poseidon in the orange black bezel with the rubber and bracelet. Nice lume ,keeps good time but never received the booklet? My problem is how do you change the day? The date no problem but will not let me change the day? Is their a trick to this I have no clue at all? I looked up on YouTube but its in Portuguese? Anybody out there know or does it require a watchmaker to fix?...Please advise..Turboharm

Re: The Orient Poseidon Diver - Rare Brazilian Domestic Model Review

Very interesting read! thanks for sharing! I agree about the exclusiveness of this model

Quote Originally Posted by nitchai View Post
    This is a short review of a Brazilian Domestic Model made by Orient. The Orient Poseidon has been around for a few years now and it is extremely popular among the brazilian horology community. It is available in three models: one with a Black dial and bezel, one with black dial and black&red bezel and this one with an orange dial and black bezel.

I'm sorry for the ...... phone pictures, hope you guys like it.

Overall
    - Model: Orient 300m 469SS040 O1SX;
    - Movement: Orient 469 in-house automatic non-hacking and non-handwinding movement with 40h power reserve;
    - Case diameter: 46mm case diameter excluding crown;
    - Case thickness: 17mm;
    - Lug to Lug distance: 51mm;
    - Lug Width: 24mm;
    - Weight: 276g;
    - 300m water resistance with Helium release valve;
    - Day/date display;
    - All stainless steel case and screw-down caseback;
    - Screw-down crown without shoulders;
    - Uni-directional 90 clicks rotating bezel;

Presentation
    The watch comes in a black presentation box with the Orient logo on the top (name only, no lions) and some yellow details in its side.

Name:  box1.jpg
Views: 2721
Size:  205.8 KB

Inside the box is covered with a velvet-like material where you can find the watch laying on a little pillow, the portuguese manual and the extra rubber strap. In a little hidden compartment there is the strap changing tool and some replacement screws. Here you can see the Orient logo including the lions.

Name:  box2.jpg
Views: 2727
Size:  239.4 KB

9,0/10,0

Movement
    The movement inside this watch is the classic 469, an automatic 21 jewels, non-hacking, non-handwinding, beating at 21600 vibrations per hour.

The 469 series dates back to the 70s and is has proven to be a reliable workhorse. It is the same movement used in the famous Makos, but without the pusher button in the 2 o'clock position. In this case, the week date is set turning the hour hand past the midnight.

I've been using the watch as my daily driver for the last week and it was working in the +1s to +6s range, which I find pretty good for a watch in this price point.

8,0/10,0

Case
    Measuring 46mm in diameter and 51mm lug-to-lug this is a very big watch.

Name:  face2.jpg
Views: 2707
Size:  38.2 KB

With a mixture of brushed and polished surfaces this case screams quality in every single corner you look at. The drilled lugs with screws are also a very welcome feature.

Name:  face1.jpg
Views: 2699
Size:  45.8 KB

Four screws (3 being only decorative and 1 being the He-valve) located at the 2, 4, 8 and 10 o'clock give the watch a very modern look and a more octagonal shape.

Name:  he1.png
Views: 2686
Size:  174.0 KB

The screw-down crown is signed with Orient's “O” and positioned at 3 o'clock but it lacks of shoulders. Beside that it feels very solid and its action is precise.

Name:  crown1.jpg
Views: 2661
Size:  27.5 KB

The caseback is made of stainless steel and it has the big “O” along with some informations, like model number, water resistance, etc.

Name:  caseback1.jpg
Views: 2660
Size:  28.8 KB

9,0/10,0

Dial
    The orange dial looks very harmonious thanks to the perfect aligned hour markers and hands, the clean look and its gorgeous colors.

With a thin metal frame around it and a greenish color the very well made applied hour indices sin in presenting such a shy lume effect when compared to the hands.

Here the familiarity with the Seiko Monster's hands are undeniable. Just like the indices, the hands also have the green color and metal frame around it, but the lume in this case is much much better. It glows pretty well during the night and does a pretty good job when compared to my Seiko SKX007.

I like to see how the minute hand gently hits the top end of the hour markers, while the hour hand almost hit the bottom. The arrow second hand with a lollipop end also has lume applied on it.

At 3 o'clock is located the day/date window. It also has the thin metal frame around it, which is very welcome. Both day and date wheel are made of or painted to look like metal while the writing is black (except for DOM/SUN which are red). You can set the date wheel to either english or portuguese.

The text presented on the dial is very clean and classy. At the top you can only spot the “Orient” logo, without the lions; and at the bottom “Automatic / 300m” printed in a font that reminds me a lot of the Seiko Sumo's.

9,0/10,0

Crystal
    The crystal here is mineral and slightly domed. Not much to say, but it would be GREAT to see a Sapphire in future generations.

Name:  dome1.jpg
Views: 2654
Size:  36.3 KB

7,5/10,0

Bezel
    The unidirectional bezel has weird 90-clicks with a lume pip at 12 o'clock. The action feels pretty solid.

Although I think its a little too easy to turn, you will not turn it by accident, so no worries.

It's not a coin edge bezel, instead it looks like a cog, something like Hexa watches, but without all that protuberance.

Bracelet/Strap
    Here is where this beauty really shines. The oyster-style bracelet is really well made. The end-links are solid. The signed fold over clasp with both safety and push button could be better, but its not bad at all. A diver extension is missing and could be a nice adition.

Name:  strap&bracelet.jpg
Views: 2665
Size:  43.8 KB

The extra rubber strap is kinda thin, but seems to be very resistant and it's definitely comfortable. The clasp is signed and pretty solid.

Name:  strap1.png
Views: 2649
Size:  254.7 KB

Well, I'm not a bracelet guy, actually I don't wear any of my watches in bracelet, but this one is my exception. Even with the added weight this bracelet makes the watch feel and look much superior, it is not rattling or hair-pulling and it fits the watch like a glove.

Name:  wruw3.jpg
Views: 2645
Size:  45.3 KB

9,0/10,0

Pricing & Conclusion
    Priced at the 400-500 USD range this might not be the best value for money, as it faces some serious competitors (like the Sumo), but it's definitely one of the most exclusives.

Being restricted to the brazilian market and now out of production, this watch is really hard to get and very collectible.

All that being said, I'd grade it a conservative 8,0 out of 10,0 for the specs itself and 9,0 out of 10,0 considering its exclusiveness.
    anabuki likes this.

Wichita Viajero

Omega Seamaster 300 Professional 2055.80 (Electric Blue)
    Tag Heuer Aqua Racer WAY1112
    Bulova Accu Swiss 63B185
    Orient Star Open heart
    Citizen Titanium Skyhawk Eco Drive JR3060-59F flight Chronograph
    Seiko a738 Chronograph
    Citizen Ana DIgi Temp Watch JG 2002-53W Gold Finish
    Hamilton Khaki Mechanical
    Tissot PR100
    Citizen Q&Q two tone watch
    Bulova corporate executive
    Timex Expedition

4. Remove Advertisements